Sanskrit Lessons....

This thread is dedicated towards lessons on Sanskrit... :D

We have our great sanskrit scholars- Lalleshwari And i think if i m not mistaken Narsingha as well.

So both of you guys this is free chance to do some brillant seeva on the net....Please help us with basic of sanskrit. Which is commonly used in dasam guroo durbar and sarbloh gurooo granth.

Guest Javanmard

I recommned the Teach Yourself Sanskrit and the Devavanipraveshika (berkeley University Press). Sanskrit is not a language you can learn over the internet I am afraid . You need to take classes in a good university. British Columbia, Berkeley, Harvard, Columbia, Yale , Oxford, Cambridge, Soas, Paris, Thuebingen (germany) have the best departments. I warn you in advance: if you have no idea of grammar it's going tobe hell. Those of you who have already studied Latin in secondary school will find it a bit easier, but still it's more difficult than Latin or Ancient Greek. :D

I'm not into serious study of Sanskrit language, but I am quite familiar with Sanskrit vocabulary.I can read Devnagari (taught myself), but when I found out what is involved in serious study of Sanskrit, I thought "forget it".But I know quite a lot of Sanskrit terms.

I think if a Sikh who is serious about Sikhi would be very well off from learning Sanskrit vocabulary.

There's many Sanskrit words I've taught myself.If you are fluent in reading Gurmukhi, you'll have no problem with Devnagari (Hindi script).Some of the letters are pronounced a little differently, like: bha, dha.

If you read Jaap Sahib you will find so many Sanskrit Shabad, aswell as a few Farsi.If you read Zafarnama you'll learn Farsi!I learnt a few Farsi words by reading it.You have to pronounce properly though, some of the letters a very guttaral, like: Khh, Ghh.

Check out: http://www.zafarnama.com/Pages/Download.html

Gurfateh

I double what Hari has said.

Having spoken with a number of Sikh scholars (decent ones) and a couple of Nirmalas, the general message was 'learn the vocabularly not the grammar tables', likewise for farsi, which has just as complicated grammar.

Interestingly, the Nirmalae I have spoken to have emphasised learning english over sanskrit as it provides a wider access to different dharmic texts.

Guest Javanmard

Sanskrit for the Indian stuff (including SIkhi) English for the rest sounds fine to me. But if you want to compare Sikhi to Islam then I think you should know Classical Arabic. Makes sense.