Sikhnet article - Chaupai sahib

Crystal

"When you seriously start studying history you discover all manner of hidden things. The point you made (highlighted above) isn't true according to Bhangu's Panth Prakash. 

He explicitly mentions how the Khalsa tolerated the smoking of someone who was part of the Moghul government but an undercover sehaj-dhari Sikh. His name was Kaura Mal. This guy would forewarn the Khalsa of impending Moghul attacks and send supplies when they were surrounded. Apparently they made him pay fines for his smoking huqqa but he was well loved.

This IS NOT (!!!) any attempt on my part to justify, encourage, excuse smoking before anyone jumps on that wagon! I'm just exploring what I've discovered whilst exploring my own literary heritage!

I think what has happened today is that the Sikh masses have been so conditioned by a particular, white washed account of their history that many have sadly become incapable of exploring their own beautiful and rich literary heritage because they experience hardcore dissonance with what they sometimes encounter because it is so different from their preconceptions of the past. It's sad really but very common.  "