Muslims protecting Guru Granth sahib

truthseeker546

A friend of mine sent me this article titled: Watch Muslims protecting Gurudwara Sahib in Malerkotla 

Link: http://www.punjabspectrum.news/2015/10/2652

The fighting as I understand it is between rival Sikh sects,and exacerbated  by the Indian government with their heavy

handed and tyrannical approach to dealing with minorities in India.

I found this particularly interesting as this is happening in Malerkotla, the place where Muslims were killed by extreme Sikhs (lead by Sabah Singh Bedi) in the 1870s, over Muslims slaughtering cows for food.

It nice to see how Muslims in the region have moved past that history and are helping their Sikh friends in protecting the Granth Sahib

I'm sure such stories are present in all faiths and around the globe, I came across this recently - thought I'd share it.

Just for your clarification, the fighting is not between the sikh sects.

Sikhs are fighting against the Agencies who are hell bent on subjugating Sikh sentiments and voice. These agencies are most likely central government related.These tactics are used to distract people from various Sikh issues. All play of dirty politics.

Oh - Thanks Ragmaala, I did try asking on another post why these protests are happening, no one really replied. I even came on chat but again not one came on.

I assumed it was embarrassing it was various Sikh groups fighting each other, hence the silence. 

If it's the government then that's serious.

Thanks for that.

A friend of mine sent me this article titled: Watch Muslims protecting Gurudwara Sahib in Malerkotla 

Link: http://www.punjabspectrum.news/2015/10/2652

The fighting as I understand it is between rival Sikh sects,and exacerbated  by the Indian government with their heavy

handed and tyrannical approach to dealing with minorities in India.

I found this particularly interesting as this is happening in Malerkotla, the place where Muslims were killed by extreme Sikhs (lead by Sabah Singh Bedi) in the 1870s, over Muslims slaughtering cows for food.

It nice to see how Muslims in the region have moved past that history and are helping their Sikh friends in protecting the Granth Sahib

I'm sure such stories are present in all faiths and around the globe, I came across this recently - thought I'd share it.

The harmony in Malerkotla is due to historical reasons 

https://www.sikhiwiki.org/index.php/Malerkotla

Sikhs also did not harm them in 1947 riots

Thanks kdsingh8 ... I would on anther occasion give a detail response, but considering I started this tread in support of the Muslim-Sikh friendship in a time where Sikhs are being prosecuted by the Indian government, its maybe not the best thread to debate history.

According to your own source you provided it states : " During the partition of 1947, when there were mass killings of Sikhs and Muslims in villages across the Punjab only Malerkotla saw no instances of such communal violence. Sikhs in anger over the loss of their loved ones murdered many of the Muslim villagers in the neighboring villages." - so Sikhs did kill Muslims but according to this not in this city.

The Sikh killing of Muslim in Malerkotla happened during 1872, I believe Guru Ram Singh was involved in the incident, (the 12th Guru according to the Namdhari Sikh sect), the killers were apprehended by the British and Cowan had the killers executed by Canon fire - he also exiled Ram Singh from India - most Namdhari still believe he will one day return and reunite India under Sikhism.

The incident is recorded by many historians, most notably by Sir Henry Cotton. Book titled :  Indian and Home memories.

I understand this can be very problematic for many Sikhs on a number of levels: 

1) The normal narrative of Sikhs being the  oppressed is ironically reversed, - Sikhs end up having the same issues as  other religions have - religious extremism.

2) It also proves the conflict within Sikhism, the dichotomy between monotheism and polytheism. The sacredness of the cow proves that at least some sects/gurus had more affinity with Hindu beliefs. This obviously disproves Sikhism as a autonomous and individual religion.

There are other historical events of Sikhs fighting to defend cows. 

Thanks kdsingh8 ... I would on anther occasion give a detail response, but considering I started this tread in support of the Muslim-Sikh friendship in a time where Sikhs are being prosecuted by the Indian government, its maybe not the best thread to debate history.

According to your own source you provided it states : " During the partition of 1947, when there were mass killings of Sikhs and Muslims in villages across the Punjab only Malerkotla saw no instances of such communal violence. Sikhs in anger over the loss of their loved ones murdered many of the Muslim villagers in the neighboring villages." - so Sikhs did kill Muslims but according to this not in this city.

The Sikh killing of Muslim in Malerkotla happened during 1872, I believe Guru Ram Singh was involved in the incident, (the 12th Guru according to the Namdhari Sikh sect), the killers were apprehended by the British and Cowan had the killers executed by Canon fire - he also exiled Ram Singh from India - most Namdhari still believe he will one day return and reunite India under Sikhism.

The incident is recorded by many historians, most notably by Sir Henry Cotton. Book titled :  Indian and Home memories.

I understand this can be very problematic for many Sikhs on a number of levels: 

1) The normal narrative of Sikhs being the  oppressed is ironically reversed, - Sikhs end up having the same issues as  other religions have - religious extremism.

2) It also proves the conflict within Sikhism, the dichotomy between monotheism and polytheism. The sacredness of the cow proves that at least some sects/gurus had more affinity with Hindu beliefs. This obviously disproves Sikhism as a autonomous and individual religion.

There are other historical events of Sikhs fighting to defend cows. 

Yes Sikhs killed muslims during 1947 partition , but only as revenge. It was muslims that started killing Hindu's and Sikhs in west Punjab 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdX0v-S-6u0

Please watch this what sikhs went through. These things happened when Pakistan was not even officially announced .It is easy to talk about peace in peace time but when people went through something extremely horrible then their thinking change completely

Namdhari sect is not in Sikh panth 

And yes sikhs protected cows because being an agrarian country cow was extremely important Infact even Babur banned cow slaughter after its invasion. Hardly any indic religion followers eat cows. BTW Hindu's in Kerala eat beef , does that make them separate religion?

And you are going gaga over few muslims in Sikh dominated Punjab and Hindu dominated India protecting Guru granth Sahib

Look How they treat Sikhs in Muslim dominated Punjab of Pakistan

A massive mosque is under construction just next to Gurudwara Janam Asthan. Its minaret is so tall that it could not be constructed the way minarets of most mosques are. So, it has a special design that enables themaulanas to snarl at this minuscule community from the heights of their hateful selves. The mosque is designed to dwarf the Gurudwara. A further element of insult, that is cast in concrete is that the prayer compound of the mosque is constructed on an unusually high platform, that is higher than the highest point of the prayer hall of the Gurudwara. So that the Muslims can remain a floor above. Does that make them nearer to God?

The eateries in the entire bazaar that is frequented by the local Sikhs either plainly refuse to serve them or have separate cups and glasses for them. Kalyan Singh who has spent almost his entire here can even tell you which rehri wala will serve him and which won't.

The more debilitating of their problems are again about the documentation of their citizenship status. There are cases when a child was not able to sit for their matriculation the matric exam for want of a B form.

The two glasses in front are reserved for Sikhs while the cups are for Muslims.

The two glasses in front are reserved for Sikhs while the cups are for Muslims.

http://www.dawn.com/news/1025160/day-3-the-sikhs-of-nankana-sahab

They are not even sparing holiest Sikh city where in India they are fighting for useless Babri Mosque which hold no significance for them. A true nature of religion is displayed when they are in absolute majority and not living in some minority area  .The above is from Pakistani sources so you can't even say that that it is fabricated

Edited by kdsingh80

OK I think I touched a nerve

I never said Muslims haven't or didn't kill Hindus/Sikhs. I merely said in Malerkotla they did. I also understand if YOU don't consider the Namdhari Sikhs part of the faith, but non Sikhs like me and of course the Namgharis themselves do. 

History is subjective isn't it - depends on who's telling the story. I'm sure Hindu and Muslim survivors have their own horror stories to tell.  As someone else wrote on another page on this forum, Sikhs also killed Muslims and raped women and forced people to convert. - I've heard first hand reports. - if don't want to accept that or try and sugar coat it by saying " they only did it in retaliation - then that's your choice.

OK I think I touched a nerve

I never said Muslims haven't or didn't kill Hindus/Sikhs. I merely said in Malerkotla they did. I also understand if YOU don't consider the Namdhari Sikhs part of the faith, but non Sikhs like me and of course the Namgharis themselves do. 

History is subjective isn't it - depends on who's telling the story. I'm sure Hindu and Muslim survivors have their own horror stories to tell.  As someone else wrote on another page on this forum, Sikhs also killed Muslims and raped women and forced people to convert. - I've heard first hand reports. - if don't want to accept that or try and sugar coat it by saying " they only did it in retaliation - then that's your choice.

Search the entire net and found me intstances of sikhs raping killing muslims in late 1946 or early 1947 when Pakistan was not declared 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Direct_Action_Day

This was the day when muslim league started riots all over India.The sikhs rioting and killing started quite late.Its a fact not and not some fiction