Women and Turban = No.

Kaalka

Bloody heck, you are absolutely everywhere. I've seen ur posts on SS, SPN, and now you're the first! Hahahaa! 10/10 for the speediness!

It is completely possible to get a high top-knot without the support of a nihang-style bunga. Many Jaat women also wore their hair in this fashion:

JatGirlAllyghur1868.thumb.jpg.935024a8dd

(P.S. I do not wish to converse with your further on this issue - and others, such as women in Panj, as I have stated above. I am very familar with your side of the debate, and frankly, it holds no weight.)

Kaalka Bhenji, you are correct. Those paintings show women with a top-knot.

In the painting you posted the family is much more rich and has the luxury of wearing jewelry, both the man and the woman are wearing it. You can see the man wearing ear-rings and decorative pearls on his turban.
In the painting by Satkrin, neither the woman nor the man are wearing jewelry. This is easily explained if you look at their feet. This painting is portraying a poor family who cannot afford jewelry.

Coming back to he turban issue -

Puratan paintings of Singhnis almost never show the sikh women wearing turbans. Most paintings I have looked at show Singhnis with braided hair and/or a top-knot.

That said...

Out of like a hundred paintings I looked at, I saw one where it seemed like a Singhni is wearing a dastaar boonga. It could be a prepubescent male since there is no visible breast shape in the painting however the clothes, pink salwar kameez, seem to suggest that it is a woman with her family.

3 minutes ago, GurpreetKaur said:

Is that a Sikh guy? Why is he wearing a Mughal style cap?

Is that a Sikh woman? Why is she wearing a choli?

Above two pictures, women need to switch so it can make sense .

The photo I posted the Singh is wearing kacheras... and the turban style is Nihung style... in fact nihung Singhnis have always tied dastars.  

I agree, the skimpy choli is not becoming of a Singhni.  She looks like a bimbo showing off her body.  And rehetnamas ALL are clear that kesh must be covered at all times, so even if a SInghni chooses not to tie turban (as per SRM being optional) then she should still cover with a chunni.  However as I posted above, both taksal maryada and nihung maryada explicitly state it's required of both males and females to tie a keski / dastar. Whether or not they do it consistently is a different story. But ALL of the Nihung SInghnis I know tie dastars and were told they were required to when they took amrit. 

6 minutes ago, GurpreetKaur said:

Is that a Sikh guy? Why is he wearing a Mughal style cap?

It's a Dastaar Boonga, turban tower, a stack of multiple turbans.

Mughals never wore that but they did wear Dumalla.

Is that a Sikh woman? Why is she wearing a choli?

Above two pictures, women need to switch so it can make sense .

Can you believe sikh women wearing jewelry and long skirts?!

lol

2 minutes ago, BhagatSingh said:

It's a Dastaar Boonga, turban tower, a stack of multiple turbans.

Mughals never wore that but they did wear Dumalla.

Can you believe sikh women wearing jewelry and long skirts?!

lol

Long skirts= Lehnga you mean? Lol

Yea I think before suits were discovered that was the attire. I don't know my hath is very tang in history . :(

1 hour ago, Kaalka said:

ਵਾਹਿਗੁਰੂਜੀਕਾਖ਼ਾਲਸਾਵਾਹਿਗੁਰੂਜੀਕੀਫ਼ਤਹਿ॥

481454_468538873192493_568696976_n.jpg?o

What is she holding in her hands ?

The Singh looks handsome & rich.  How do you know she is not a courtesan or someone trying to hit on that Singh ? How about if this image depicts Bhai Joga Singh ?

She might as well be a Singhni too...

It depends on what the artist was trying to achieve or portray in this image. We probably might never know. We dont know if the setting of the image is public or private. That can  make a whole difference.

As for turbans, leave it up to the woman herself what she chooses to do with it.

It will be interesting to see other images of Singhnis, you have any @BhagatSingh

Just now, BhagatSingh said:

@Gunahgar

Oh I have tons.

That image you are talking about isn't an anomaly. It's a fairly common theme.

So you mean Singhnis can dress in skimpy clothing and show all to the world?? LOL This is news to me! I always thought modesty was expected! No I mean I was TOLD modesty is expected! Why are the sampardas (of which some of you on here are very devout to) claiming that ALL jewelry are a no no if historically Singhnis could wear 10 pounds of gold? Why is modesty preached if historically Singhnis dressed like tramps? (yes, showing your entire stomach and having barely enough fabric to cover your boobs is dressing trampy). Sorry but it is... its proven time and time again women wearing next to nothing (especially in the boobage area) creates objectification of women. In other words, if it's visible men will look and they WILL ogle. 

21 minutes ago, BhagatSingh said:

Kaalka Bhenji, you are correct. Those paintings show women with a top-knot.

In the painting you posted the family is much more rich and has the luxury of wearing jewelry, both the man and the woman are wearing it. You can see the man wearing ear-rings and decorative pearls on his turban.
In the painting by Satkrin, neither the woman nor the man are wearing jewelry. This is easily explained if you look at their feet. This painting is portraying a poor family who cannot afford jewelry.

Coming back to he turban issue -

Puratan paintings of Singhnis almost never show the sikh women wearing turbans. Most paintings I have looked at show Singhnis with braided hair and/or a top-knot.

That said...

Out of like a hundred paintings I looked at, I saw one where it seemed like a Singhni is wearing a dastaar boonga. It could be a prepubescent male since there is no visible breast shape in the painting however the clothes, pink salwar kameez, seem to suggest that it is a woman with her family.

Great observation! 

Let's deny the truth for arguement's sake and say his Singhni has a turban, the fact they are in poverty is possibly to moving around due to war.

His singhni may of a turban to give the impression to the enemy that there is 2 Singhs instead of a couple, this way fear is instilled within the mind of the enemy. 

A Khalsa war tactic.

Just now, Kaalka said:

Great observation! 

Let's deny the truth for arguement's sake and say his Singhni has a turban, the fact they are in poverty is possibly to moving around due to war.

His singhni may of a turban to give the impression to the enemy that there is 2 Singhs instead of a couple, this way fear is instilled within the mind of the enemy. 

A Khalsa war tactic.

So now you are suggesting that Singhnis were not trained to defend themselves either? (implying she would have been seen as 'weak' and unable to defend herself thus opening them up to an attack?) Need I remind you of Mai Bhago? 

Anyway, Nihung Singhnis were always required to tie dastars.  It's in their maryada. It's also in taksali maryada as well.  So for both those sampardas, women are requried. And since both are supposed to be going back all the way to Guru Gobind Singh Ji's time.... also Mai Bhago was told directly by Guru Ji to tie a turban. It's also in Guru Gobind Singh Ji's 52 Hukams that everyone must tie a turban. (and it does not state only males). 

Just now, Kaalka said:

Great observation! 

A Khalsa war tactic.

Thanks but I think that "Khalsa clearance sale, get 2 for 1 singh" explanation is BS btw.

8 minutes ago, CdnSikhGirl said:

So you mean Singhnis can dress in skimpy clothing and show all to the world?? LOL This is news to me! I always thought modesty was expected! No I mean I was TOLD modesty is expected! Why are the sampardas (of which some of you on here are very devout to) claiming that ALL jewelry are a no no if historically Singhnis could wear 10 pounds of gold? Why is modesty preached if historically Singhnis dressed like tramps? (yes, showing your entire stomach and having barely enough fabric to cover your boobs is dressing trampy). Sorry but it is... its proven time and time again women wearing next to nothing (especially in the boobage area) creates objectification of women. In other words, if it's visible men will look and they WILL ogle. 

Well artist forgot to create her Boobs so I don't expect him/her to rememeber to create full stomach covered choli. 

15 minutes ago, GurpreetKaur said:

Long skirts= Lehnga you mean? Lol

Yea I think before suits were discovered that was the attire. I don't know my hath is very tang in history . :(

Absolutely, rarely did women wear such clothing like suits, mainly because the lack of resources.

Globally women have wore lenghe-typed skirts.

13 minutes ago, BhagatSingh said:

Women have better things to do than stand around getting their pictures taken.

They have better things to do.

Such as taking selfies and posting them on Facebook.

cook, clean, work, give birth to kids, raise them, after marriage look after husband like a baby ( since men cant look after themselves), build men's ego by giving them fake compliments and many more things.