Rigid Physical Discipline - What does Gurbani say?

There has been a lot of talk about placing the body under rigid physical disciplines like celibacy, strict diets etc.  The Gurus were advocating living a normal life, while still pursuing spirituality. The way to God is within yourself and you don't need to put yourself through extremes of discomfort, depriving yourself of physical needs etc. in order to find the divine within yourself.  Neither does doing those things make one 'holier than thou' even though some think it does... stop depriving yourself of life, live life, but live it while always remembering Waheguru. It's pretty clear that naam / Waheguru's grace is required, and without that, you can practice as much self restraint and extreme deprivations etc. but it will never matter. Finding God within is not reliant upon any physical hardships like some other religions teach.  

ਕਾਂਇਆ ਸਾਧੈ ਉਰਧ ਤਪੁ ਕਰੈ ਵਿਚਹੁ ਹਉਮੈ ਨ ਜਾਇ ॥

Kāʼn▫i▫ā sāḏẖai uraḏẖ ṯap karai vicẖahu ha▫umai na jā▫e.

You may torment your body with extremes of self-discipline, practice intensive meditation and hang upside-down, but your ego will not be eliminated from within.

ਅਧਿਆਤਮ ਕਰਮ ਜੇ ਕਰੇ ਨਾਮੁ ਨ ਕਬ ਹੀ ਪਾਇ ॥

Aḏẖi▫āṯam karam je kare nām na kab hī pā▫e.

You may perform religious rituals, and still never obtain the Naam, the Name of the Lord.

------

ਬਿੰਦੁ ਰਾਖਿ ਜੌ ਤਰੀਐ ਭਾਈ ॥

Binḏ rākẖ jou ṯarī▫ai bẖā▫ī.

If someone could save himself by celibacy, O Siblings of Destiny,

ਖੁਸਰੈ ਕਿਉ ਨ ਪਰਮ ਗਤਿ ਪਾਈ ॥੩॥

Kẖusrai ki▫o na param gaṯ pā▫ī. ||3||

why then haven't eunuchs obtained the state of supreme dignity? ||3||

------

ਜਪੁ ਤਪੁ ਸੰਜਮੁ ਸਾਧੀਐ ਤੀਰਥਿ ਕੀਚੈ ਵਾਸੁ ॥

Jap ṯap sanjam sāḏẖī▫ai ṯirath kīcẖai vās.

You may chant and meditate, practice austerities and self-restraint, and dwell at sacred shrines of pilgrimage;

ਪੁੰਨ ਦਾਨ ਚੰਗਿਆਈਆ ਬਿਨੁ ਸਾਚੇ ਕਿਆ ਤਾਸੁ ॥

Punn ḏān cẖang▫ā▫ī▫ā bin sācẖe ki▫ā ṯās.

you may give donations to charity, and perform good deeds, but without the True One, what is the use of it all?

ਜੇਹਾ ਰਾਧੇ ਤੇਹਾ ਲੁਣੈ ਬਿਨੁ ਗੁਣ ਜਨਮੁ ਵਿਣਾਸੁ ॥੧॥

Jehā rāḏẖe ṯehā luṇai bin guṇ janam viṇās. ||1||

As you plant, so shall you harvest. Without virtue, this human life passes away in vain. ||1||

------

The Gurus were advocating living a normal life, while still pursuing spirituality. 

Well, if you look at original Khalsa life, physical training (weaponry, hunting, martial arts) were a norm. Plus average village life in Panjab was VERY physical for both men and women. 

This obviously helped keep people fit and strong. 

5 minutes ago, dalsingh101 said:

Well, if you look at original Khalsa life, physical training (weaponry, hunting, martial arts) were a norm. Plus average village life in Panjab was VERY physical for both men and women. 

This obviously helped keep people fit and strong. 

I wasn't referring to staying in shape etc.

I was referring to extremes of deprivation etc. and physical discomfort as a means to obtain God.  Like austerities, celibacy, highly restrictive diets etc... some religions even advocate physical pain as a means to find God. But Gurbani is condemning this idea. Finding God within yourself is ultimately not a physical endeavour at all.

Oh okay. 

But we should note that Sikhs seem to have deteriorated physically since annexation due to easy life. 

If you ask me, many of our lot could do with a lot more physical exertions. I mean the amount of 'sardars' with pot bellies back home is criminal. 

10 minutes ago, dalsingh101 said:

Oh okay. 

But we should note that Sikhs seem to have deteriorated physically since annexation due to easy life. 

If you ask me, many of our lot could do with a lot more physical exertions. I mean the amount of 'sardars' with pot bellies back home is criminal. 

LOL. I can't disagree with you here!  But this is a different issue... I think we should ALL partake in some form of at the very least self-defence training.  I used to do Tae-Kwon Do but I stopped (waiting for surgery for an injury). I don't believe it has to be Gatka etc. or what was traditionally seen as Sikh specific combat training, but at least everyone should know what to do if someone attacks them. Anything is better than nothing. Karate, Judo, Jiu Jitsu, Gatka, etc any kind of martial arts. It not only teaches self defence, but discipline and is exercise too!  And I think both boys AND GIRLS should be put into these things at a young age. Start healthy habits early!