Trolley Problem

Arsh1469

• 4 months later...
On 8/13/2021 at 6:36 AM, Arsh1469 said:

A train is coming and is about to run over five people that are on the tracks. You can save them by flipping the switch but if you flip the switch the train runs over 1 person. What would you do?

Bumping this...maybe someone much cleverer than me can give the correct answer....

3 hours ago, Premi said:

Can you give another clue/hint about how to get the 'correct' answer please ?

It's a constraint designed to make you choose one of two bad options. The military does hours of these. I don't buy into them. And you're not being asked these questions in the military by a person but by a computer in this weird little room for hours and hours and it's almost like adaptive in the way that it continues to ask you the same thing different ways over and over and respond almost to your responses.  They advertise it as a way to weed out psychopaths but I'm not sure that's what it's really for.  I always pick the not offered third option and go for the win. At least in my mind when it's not offered. 

I don't support them for two reasons. One you have to assume the limitation. Two you're then forced to accept that sanctity of life can be reduced and compared numerically. And that begins a slippery slope of supposed logic potentially. If saving five and killing one is right then killing a thousand to save five thousand is right. Indira Ghandi was schooled in this. She used it to justify butchering the Paanth. 

4 hours ago, Premi said:

@Arsh1469 why five? 

Were you comparing 5 Sikhs to someone else ....?

This is a common problem which is often debated over morals and what not. The number is just usally used.

9 hours ago, Premi said:

Can you give another clue/hint about how to get the 'correct' answer please ?

Correctly is what you think correct is.

7 hours ago, Arsh1469 said:

This is a common problem which is often debated over morals and what not. The number is just usally used.

Correctly is what you think correct is.

I personally think the answer is to keep the morals and discard the paradigm of the problem. Real question is how you going to deal with the adrenaline stress response to be able to do anything?