Louis Singh Khalsa

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/300180693/sikh-soldier-shows-the-way-for-minorities-in-the-defence-force

Sikh soldier shows the way for minorities in the Defence Force

Paul Mitchell05:00, Dec 12 2020
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Signaller Louis Talbot is one of the first baptised Sikhs to join the New Zealand Defence Force.
DAVID UNWIN/STUFF
Signaller Louis Talbot is one of the first baptised Sikhs to join the New Zealand Defence Force.

Donning an army-green turban and a neatly-groomed brown beard, Louis Talbot stands out in his Royal New Zealand Signals Corps graduate class.

His comrades are a clean-shaved mirror of each other, as has long been the uniform approach of the armed forces.

Talbot’s distinction is his faith. Baptised a Sikh, he wears the “five ks” to represent aspects of the religion’s ideals and history; a kirpan (a small sword or dagger), kashera (shorts), kanga (comb), kara (iron or steel bangle) and kes (uncut hair).

He is one of the first baptised Sikhs to join the New Zealand Defence Force, and is keen to convey that serving one’s country doesn’t require compromising one’s religious and cultural practices.

READ MORE:
* Christchurch Sikh community increases 10-fold since earthquakes
* Slain trailblazing US police officer Sandeep Dhaliwal devoted life to Sikh faith, serving others
* 'Not a cute fashion accessory': Gucci's $1200 'Indy Full Turban' draws backlash
* Justice Minister knocks back National Party MP on knife law change

Three of the "five ks" baptised Sikhs wear at all times as a sign of their faith; a kirpan (dagger), kangha (wooden hair comb), and kara (iron bracelet) on top of a kachera (cotton undergarment).
HARISINGH/WIKIPEDIA
Three of the "five ks" baptised Sikhs wear at all times as a sign of their faith; a kirpan (dagger), kangha (wooden hair comb), and kara (iron bracelet) on top of a kachera (cotton undergarment).

“I hope that now it encourages more Sikhs, Muslims and other [minorities] who wanted to join but were unsure [how they’d fit].”

Talbot said he didn’t know of any other gursikh (baptised Sikh) in the Defence Force, although he had seen a few other soldiers wearing a turban as part of their culture and upbringing.

Sikhs have a proud military tradition, and many serve in the armies of other Commonwealth countries.

But because there haven’t been visible Sikhs in the New Zealand Defence Force, they may presume there is an expectation to cut their hair and shave their beards.

“But the Army have been good, they’ve been kind to cater [for my religion].”

However, the Defence Force was a large organisation, with different departments and units having their own variations of general rules and standing orders. There had been some miscommunications and mistakes when dealing with soldiers with unfamiliar requirements, he said.

Talbot has written a document, to be passed up the chain of command, detailing Sikh practices and his experiences in the army, which will hopefully smooth the way for future Sikh recruits.

“Even though I’m the lowest rank, signaller is a private equivalent, I want to help improve things. To make people feel less insecure coming into the Defence Force.”

Signaller Talbot has become a minor celebrity in the New Zealand Sikh and Indian communities after this photo from his basic training graduation parade went viral in July.
NZDF
Signaller Talbot has become a minor celebrity in the New Zealand Sikh and Indian communities after this photo from his basic training graduation parade went viral in July.

Maintaining his religious practices has been challenging at times, from early morning prayers to keeping his longer hair clean when serving in the field.

But communication, understanding and flexibility has helped untangle any snags, he said.

For example when Talbot arrived for basic training, he was told his kirpan would be taken off him because recruits weren’t allowed to have weapons in the barracks.

The training officers didn’t realise because it held religious significance it was an exception to the standing orders.

“I stated the importance of the kirpan and my commanding officer approved it to be kept on me.”

Talbot took the Sikh name Louis Singh Khalsa when he was baptised, but still goes his family surname in the Defence Force because he has yet to legally change it.

He grew up in rural South Canterbury, near Temuka, and his family have been very accepting of his religion.

“My family’s just a normal farming family. We’re pretty kicked back and open-minded.”

He first encountered the faith while living and working in Christchurch, when he befriended a young Sikh man.

He felt an immediate connection to the faith when listening to its traditional hymns.

“I just felt this beautiful calm. And when I learned the meaning of the words, it was even more beautiful.”

https://www.punjaboutlook.com/wp/meet-the-pakeha-sikh-new-zealander-louis-singh-by-sandeep-singh/

sssssssssss-800x445.jpg

Meet the Pakeha-Sikh-New Zealander: Louis Singh-By Sandeep Singh

The recent sighting of a turban-clad Pakeha marching in full military uniform during the passing out parade for the new-inductees has caught everyone’s attention, besides captivating imaginations of the followers of Sikhism and the broader Kiwi-Indian community.

On Saturday, July 4, a seemingly unassuming image depicting the newly inducted marching recruits of the NZ military first appeared in local media outlets, before hitting the social media.

Expectedly, the sighting of a young Pakeha (European-New Zealander descent) in a Sikh turban attracted the attention of many including the followers of the Sikhism faith, and those who are genuinely invested in the growing multiculturalism of the New Zealand society.

Such stories are indeed ambassadors of the true brand of multiculturalism that facilitates not only a safe environment for collaboration between various ethnic and religious-cultural groups but also allows the flourishing of an eclectic environment where people can immerse themselves and adopt the new religion or culture without any prejudice and bias.

Louis Singh (earlier known as Louis Talbot) had his first interaction with the Sikh faith through his common friends in Christchurch a few years ago, which eventually inspired him to the extent that he soon immersed himself in the Sikh religion.

In his pursuit of the path of internal spiritual serenity, he traveled to Punjab in India multiple times, before partaking amrit at Takht Sri Kesgarh Sahib – a Sikh ceremony of initiation which resembles the baptism of Christianity.

For the uninitiated, Sikhism is the world’s fifth-largest religion with more than 30 million active practitioners and followers worldwide and has been present in New Zealand for at least more than a hundred years.

The Sikh religion was founded in the Fifteenth century India (North Western Region of Punjab, which is now divided into India and Pakistan) and rejected all forms of social distinctions that produce inequities, including gender, race, religion, and caste – the predominant structure for social hierarchy in South Asia.

Given the universal appeal of equality for all, most impressively and famously depicted in its Langar system, where everyone regardless of their social, economic, or political status is fed in a community-kitchen, the faith has since then flourished globally.

Serving the world is a natural expression of the Sikh prayer and worship. Sikhs call this prayerful service “seva,” and it is a core part of their practice.

What is the importance of turban in Sikhism

Notably, every year various Sikh organizations in New Zealand celebrate Turban Day in various parts of the country with the single-minded goal of educating people about the importance of turban in Sikh faith and in the process removing any ill-conceived prejudices against this important article of faith in Sikh religion.

However, there is nothing more appealing and assuring than people originally from different faiths and cultures embracing this important article of faith and giving an opportunity to learn more about the turban in Sikh faith.

Turbans are an important part of the Sikh identity. Both women and men may wear turbans. Like the articles of faith, Sikhs regard their turbans as gifts given by their beloved gurus, and their meaning is deeply personal.

Historically, in South Asian culture, wearing a turban typically indicates one’s social status – kings and rulers once wore turbans; therefore, it seems that the Sikh gurus adopted the turban, in part, to remind Sikhs that all humans are sovereign, royal and ultimately equal.

Sikhism in New Zealand

Sikhs, like other Indians, have been living in New Zealand since at least 1810, although some records mention for the first time the name of two Sikh brothers living in the mid-nineteenth century, often living closely with the Maoris on the North Island.

Since then Sikhs have been arriving in NZ in different small waves between 1890 and 1910, mostly immigrants from Punjab and largely settled in Waikato, Auckland, Wellington, or Christchurch regions.

Over the years, the size of the Sikh community in New Zealand increased and many places of worship started emerging, with the first Sikh temple built in Hamilton in 1977 and another in 1986 in Otahuhu.

Since then, the Sikh community has not only been growing but became deeply integrated within the broader New Zealand community and society.

16 hours ago, Premi said:

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/300180693/sikh-soldier-shows-the-way-for-minorities-in-the-defence-force

Sikh soldier shows the way for minorities in the Defence Force

Paul Mitchell05:00, Dec 12 2020
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

DAVID UNWIN/STUFF

Donning an army-green turban and a neatly-groomed brown beard, Louis Talbot stands out in his Royal New Zealand Signals Corps graduate class.

His comrades are a clean-shaved mirror of each other, as has long been the uniform approach of the armed forces.

Talbot’s distinction is his faith. Baptised a Sikh, he wears the “five ks” to represent aspects of the religion’s ideals and history; a kirpan (a small sword or dagger), kashera (shorts), kanga (comb), kara (iron or steel bangle) and kes (uncut hair).

He is one of the first baptised Sikhs to join the New Zealand Defence Force, and is keen to convey that serving one’s country doesn’t require compromising one’s religious and cultural practices.

READ MORE:
* Christchurch Sikh community increases 10-fold since earthquakes
* Slain trailblazing US police officer Sandeep Dhaliwal devoted life to Sikh faith, serving others
* 'Not a cute fashion accessory': Gucci's $1200 'Indy Full Turban' draws backlash
* Justice Minister knocks back National Party MP on knife law change

HARISINGH/WIKIPEDIA

“I hope that now it encourages more Sikhs, Muslims and other [minorities] who wanted to join but were unsure [how they’d fit].”

Talbot said he didn’t know of any other gursikh (baptised Sikh) in the Defence Force, although he had seen a few other soldiers wearing a turban as part of their culture and upbringing.

Sikhs have a proud military tradition, and many serve in the armies of other Commonwealth countries.

But because there haven’t been visible Sikhs in the New Zealand Defence Force, they may presume there is an expectation to cut their hair and shave their beards.

“But the Army have been good, they’ve been kind to cater [for my religion].”

However, the Defence Force was a large organisation, with different departments and units having their own variations of general rules and standing orders. There had been some miscommunications and mistakes when dealing with soldiers with unfamiliar requirements, he said.

Talbot has written a document, to be passed up the chain of command, detailing Sikh practices and his experiences in the army, which will hopefully smooth the way for future Sikh recruits.

“Even though I’m the lowest rank, signaller is a private equivalent, I want to help improve things. To make people feel less insecure coming into the Defence Force.”

NZDF

Maintaining his religious practices has been challenging at times, from early morning prayers to keeping his longer hair clean when serving in the field.

But communication, understanding and flexibility has helped untangle any snags, he said.

For example when Talbot arrived for basic training, he was told his kirpan would be taken off him because recruits weren’t allowed to have weapons in the barracks.

The training officers didn’t realise because it held religious significance it was an exception to the standing orders.

“I stated the importance of the kirpan and my commanding officer approved it to be kept on me.”

Talbot took the Sikh name Louis Singh Khalsa when he was baptised, but still goes his family surname in the Defence Force because he has yet to legally change it.

He grew up in rural South Canterbury, near Temuka, and his family have been very accepting of his religion.

“My family’s just a normal farming family. We’re pretty kicked back and open-minded.”

He first encountered the faith while living and working in Christchurch, when he befriended a young Sikh man.

He felt an immediate connection to the faith when listening to its traditional hymns.

“I just felt this beautiful calm. And when I learned the meaning of the words, it was even more beautiful.”

He trims his Dhari though, even though it says the military doesn't force him to cut it. Should identify with being Mona.