NHS has 675 staff taking home vast salaries of more than £150,000

Premi

@dalsingh101

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10529039/NHS-675-staff-taking-home-vast-salaries-150-000-face-13billion-tax-hike.html

NHS has 675 staff taking home vast salaries of more than £150,000...as the rest of us face a £13billion tax hike to clear post-pandemic waiting lists

• Some 675 NHS managers are taking home salaries of more than £150,000 
  • This comes as PM Boris Johnson prepares to put up taxes to fund hospitals 
  • It yesterday emerged Amanda Pritchard, NHS England chief, earns up to £260k 

By DANIEL MARTIN and IMOGEN HORTON FOR THE DAILY MAIL

PUBLISHED: 22:44, 18 February 2022 | UPDATED: 02:00, 19 February 2022

• Around 700 NHS managers are taking home salaries of more than £150,000 – just as Boris Johnson prepares to puts up taxes to fund hospitals.

A Daily Mail analysis found at least 675 officials at hospital trusts and Whitehall health bodies earned more than £150,000 last year.

Yesterday, it emerged the new chief executive of NHS England, Amanda Pritchard, earns up to £260,000 – £60,000 more than her predecessor.

Pictured: Dr Mike van der Watt, chief medical director of West Hertfordshire Hospitals. West Hertfordshire Hospitals NHS Trust said: 'Dr van der Watt has been at the forefront of clinical innovations at the trust'
+10
View gallery
  •  

Pictured: Dr Mike van der Watt, chief medical director of West Hertfordshire Hospitals. West Hertfordshire Hospitals NHS Trust said: 'Dr van der Watt has been at the forefront of clinical innovations at the trust'

Dame Jackie Daniel, Chief Executive of The Newcastle upon Tyne Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust. A Daily Mail analysis found at least 675 officials at hospital trusts and Whitehall health bodies earned more than £150,000 last year
+10
View gallery
  •  

Dame Jackie Daniel, Chief Executive of The Newcastle upon Tyne Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust. A Daily Mail analysis found at least 675 officials at hospital trusts and Whitehall health bodies earned more than £150,000 last year

Yesterday, it emerged the new chief executive of NHS England, Amanda Pritchard (pictured), earns up to £260,000 – £60,000 more than her predecessor
+10
View gallery
  •  

Yesterday, it emerged the new chief executive of NHS England, Amanda Pritchard (pictured), earns up to £260,000 – £60,000 more than her predecessor

The two highest-paid managers at NHS trusts received up to £310,000 last year, almost double the salary of the Prime Minister.

2 hours ago, Premi said:

@dalsingh101

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10529039/NHS-675-staff-taking-home-vast-salaries-150-000-face-13billion-tax-hike.html

NHS has 675 staff taking home vast salaries of more than £150,000...as the rest of us face a £13billion tax hike to clear post-pandemic waiting lists

• Some 675 NHS managers are taking home salaries of more than £150,000 
  • This comes as PM Boris Johnson prepares to put up taxes to fund hospitals 
  • It yesterday emerged Amanda Pritchard, NHS England chief, earns up to £260k 

By DANIEL MARTIN and IMOGEN HORTON FOR THE DAILY MAIL

PUBLISHED: 22:44, 18 February 2022 | UPDATED: 02:00, 19 February 2022

• Around 700 NHS managers are taking home salaries of more than £150,000 – just as Boris Johnson prepares to puts up taxes to fund hospitals.

A Daily Mail analysis found at least 675 officials at hospital trusts and Whitehall health bodies earned more than £150,000 last year.

Yesterday, it emerged the new chief executive of NHS England, Amanda Pritchard, earns up to £260,000 – £60,000 more than her predecessor.

+10
View gallery
  •  

+10
View gallery
  •  

+10
View gallery
  •  

The two highest-paid managers at NHS trusts received up to £310,000 last year, almost double the salary of the Prime Minister.

It's like the education sector, whites in the higher echelons taking massive salaries for doing f**k all. 

I was in Whips Cross Hospital a few years ago. I noticed all the department heads where a particular type of obnoxious looking white. Most of the doctors who actually dealt with patients were brown.  

4 hours ago, dalsingh101 said:

It's like the education sector, whites in the higher echelons taking massive salaries for doing f**k all. 

I was in Whips Cross Hospital a few years ago. I noticed all the department heads where a particular type of obnoxious looking white. Most of the doctors who actually dealt with patients were brown.  

How did you know who were department heads? 

Yes, there are many overseas doctors 'propping up' the NHS. 

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/racism-doctors-british-medical-association-b2002871.html

Exclusive: A consultant of Indian background said: “I think of leaving this job every day”

Nadine White
Wednesday 02 February 2022 00:03
51Comments

The majority of ethnic minority doctors have struggled with depression and anxiety as a result of racism in the medical profession from both colleagues and patients, it can be revealed.

Some 60 per cent who have experienced racial discrimination consequently reported mental health struggles while nearly 20 per cent of doctors said that they either considered leaving (13.8 per cent) or left their job (5.6 per cent) within the past two years.

The interim findings from the British Medical Association’s Racism in Medicine survey, shared with The Independent, show that 71 per cent of doctors who experienced racism chose not to report it to anyone “due to a lack of confidence that the incident would be addressed” and/or a fear they would be labelled as “troublemakers”.

Having experience racial discrimination at the hands of a colleague, a consultant of Indian background said: “I was not taken seriously. Emails were ignored. I was branded and suffered work-related stress and hypertension. I think of leaving this job every day.”

With more than 2,000 responses from doctors and medical students across the UK, the BMA believes that this survey is one of the largest of its kind on the experience of racism in the medical profession and workplace.

Just over 90 per cent of black and Asian respondents, 73 per cent of mixed-race and 64 per cent of white respondents said racism in the medical profession is an issue.

Some 20 per cent of those who had experienced racism reported racist behaviour from patients with the other 80 per cent experiencing discrimination from their own colleagues.

Ahead of the publication of the BMA’s full ‘Anti-Racism in Medicine report’, in spring 2022, the association’s headline findings indicate a high level of racist incidents occurring within the health service.

Dr Chaand Nagpaul, BMA chair of council, said: “The results from this survey, though interim, show unacceptable levels of racism within the NHS which cannot be ignored.

“Doctors from ethnic minority backgrounds and those who qualified outside the UK but are registered to practice here, want to focus on caring for patients, without the burden of abuse that comes from demoralising and often debilitating experiences of racism in the workplace.

“The findings highlight the negative impact that racist experiences have on doctor retention, wellbeing, and career progression – an indisputable rebuttal to the government’s claims in its Sewell report that the NHS is a success story for ethnic minority doctors.

“Portraying the NHS as a success purely because of the numbers of staff from ethnic minority backgrounds employed within the service, shows little acknowledgement of the racist incidents that these staff members deal with on a regular basis.”

A junior doctor of Pakistani background said: “When interacting with senior colleagues, I would notice that they were nicer and more helpful towards other junior doctors who were born in UK and were white.

“I would be clearly treated and spoken to differently.”

A consultant of other ethnic background said: “A patient suggested I can be deported if they suffer post-op complications.”

Roger Kline, research fellow Middlesex University Business School, described the survey’s interim findings as “shocking”.

https://www.bmj.com/content/368/bmj.m479

More than 25 years after two GPs uncovered bias in appointments to specialty training posts, new data show that the ethnicity gap persists, reports Gareth Iacobucci

Doctors from ethnic minority backgrounds are less likely than white doctors to be considered suitable for appointment to specialty training jobs in the UK, an analysis of new data obtained for The BMJ has found.

The findings indicate that little progress has been made in tackling a bias in recruitment that was highlighted in a landmark BMJ paper in1993.1 This found that doctors with English names were twice as likely to be shortlisted for senior house officer jobs as those with Asian names, despite having the same experience and training.

Aneez Esmail, professor of general practice at the University of Manchester, who carried out the 1993 research, said he was disappointed that 27 years later ethnic minority doctors were still less successful than white doctors in securing specialty training posts.

Esmail and fellow GP Sam Everington were arrested and charged with making fraudulent applications back in 1993 for using 46 made-up CVs to apply to 23 senior house officer posts, half with English and half with Asian names. They said their work showed that discrimination took place at shortlisting and suggested ways to reduce it, such as

https://joecollier.blog/2020/11/21/a-racist-episode-a-necessary-reminder/

Posted on Nov 21, 2020 

A Racist Episode – A Necessary Reminder

Despite efforts to rid society of racism, this hurtful and unnecessary scourge remains part of our culture with examples now part of everyday life. However, if cases of discrimination are remembered we could learn from the past. This blog tells of an episode that occurred over thirty years ago at my own place of work – St George’s, University of London, formerly St George’s Hospital Medical School.

I am writing this story now because I have just discovered that the incident, which took place in November 1986 appears to have been lost from the School’s conscience. Over the last few years, when the School has celebrated Black History Month, the issue has never been broached. This year, the School’s celebrations have been more ambitious than before but again it went unmentioned. I know of this silence because, for the first time, I have received emails listing the various events that were planned.  Here then is what happened in 1986 – lest they forget.

The story actually starts in 1982 when a computer programme was introduced to help senior staff members process application forms from students who wished to come and study at the School. The process was seen as time-consuming, and by using the programme, which replicated decisions the staff had made in the past, things might be easier.

There was, however a problem – many members of staff were racist and sexist and so, in replicating their behaviour the new programme systematically reduced the chances of women and black and minority ethnic applicants being called for interview and potentially offered a place. Before it was formally adopted, the programme, with its inbuilt biases, was reviewed by a senior committee of the school who saw nothing wrong! 

In all, the programme was used for four years. There were some worries, but these were quickly suppressed. In 1984 William Evans, a junior administrator, raised concerns internally about how it discriminated but, according to a confidential internal St George’s memo, he was told by his line manager that these “matters should be kept confidential”. Silence was important “lest Dr Collier should hear of it in view of his known interest in racial questions”, here referring to the fact that I had worked on issues of discrimination for years. The manager went on to say that he “did not think that Dr Collier would have taken the right actions and used the right procedures.”

At this time I knew nothing of the computer programme, but leading up to November 1986 I wrote several letters to the then Dean – Richard West – asking how students were selected. I was worried about discrimination and was particularly interested to discover the origins and implication of a handwritten number on each student’s application form which I would see at the time of their interview. Somehow I knew it was a score which had determined whether the student would be asked to attend. In response to four letters I received only one response and it did not actually address my concerns. In the corridor the Dean did, however, tell me that first, I would not understand the computer programme and that second, everything was under close review. 

The breakthrough in November 1986 came out of the blue. By chance I walked past the open door of an office where William Evans was actually using the computer programme to process student application forms. When I was invited in I noticed on the screen questions relating to an applicant’s gender and ethnicity. William was half way through a particular application and I asked him to make the applicant ‘male/Caucasian’ and with this adjustment appeared an eligibility-for-interview score of ‘19’. Then I asked that the same candidate be made ‘female/non Caucasian’ and the score switched to ‘37’. William then told me how, on these rankings, candidate 1, the ‘white male’, would be called for interview, while candidate 2, the ‘black female’ rejected. He also told me how, in calculating the eligibility score the programme was weighted much more heavily against ‘non Caucasian’ students than against women. 

Key revelations then followed. First, William confirmed that he had known about this programme and its implications for years. Second and by chance, Dr Geoffrey Franglen, the person responsible for creating the programme, entered the room and asked me what I was doing. I told him that I had just discovered that the computer programme he had developed for the School was ‘illegal’, ‘outrageous’ and ‘must be stopped immediately’. In response Dr Franglen, whose face turned  pasty white and sweaty replied ‘It used to be worse’ – his comment was all the confirmation I needed.

For many years I had worked on race issues with Dr Aggrey Burke, a close St George’s colleague whose work on racism is renowned. Importantly, we had recently published an article accusing several of London’s other Medical  Schools of having racist and sexist student selection procedures. I had now discovered that it was happening in our own back yard – what should we do? The school had behaved illegally and if we remained silent we would be condoning its behaviour. Moreover, in instances of illegality we had a greater responsibility to the state than to the perpetrator.

Next day we wrote to the UK’s then Commission for Racial Equality with a copy to the then Equal Opportunities Commission telling them of our findings. We also delivered a copy of the letter to Dean West.

Predictably, the next days and months at the School were difficult for me, and would probably have been too much had I not had the support of Rohan, my wife and of Aggrey, a real pillar. The period was probably more difficult for me than for Aggrey. As he pointed out, I was bound to be treated as a traitor to the School’s white tribe. He, as non-tribe, would be relatively spared.

Most of my ‘colleagues’ acted in unison as I was vilified, ostracised and made invisible. I was told that my actions had brought the School into disrepute; that the School would have to bear the costs in terms of finance and reputation; that the School would now run the risk of being overrun by poor-quality, black and minority ethnic students. Moreover, by my behaviour I had forfeited any chance of being made a professor. 

After making contact with the Equal Opportunities Commission, it was the Commission for Racial Equality that undertook an Inquiry into the episode. In their conclusion they found that the School, through the operation of its computer programme to select students, was guilty of systematic racial discrimination. 

1 hour ago, paapiman said:

Lots of Hindu doctors in UK right?

Bhul chuk maaf

Yes.