Woman Robbed in NY

Apne/South Asian women /families have a reputation for wearing/keeping Gold and have become targets over a long period of time for these type of incidents. These women don’t seem to learn either or they are not being educated when they come over to the West that they need to be more streeetwise. I know this happens in Canada also

https://www.ny1.com/nyc/all-boroughs/news/2022/05/21/woman-visiting-from-india-says-she-was-taken-into-a-van--robbed-in-queens

Woman visiting from India says she was taken into a van, robbed in Queens

By Eric Feldman New York City

PUBLISHED 10:02 PM ET May. 20, 2022

A woman in Queens said she was grabbed off the street, taken into a van, and robbed while she was on her way home from temple in Richmond Hill.

“The guy on the front said, ‘If you speak, we’re going to kill you,’” said the woman, who would only be identified as Mrs. Kaur because she's scared for her life.

She is visiting Queens to see her husband, who lives in Richmond Hill. She lives in India.

What You Need To Know

Community leaders say this marks six attacks against the Sikh community within two months

NYPD has made an arrest in one of those cases, which led to a 20-year-old charged in a hate crime

In this latest case, the woman says she was robbed of $7,000 in jewelry

She said she didn't report the crime to police right away out of fear and because she doesn't speak English well

Kaur said the attack happened last Thursday, when three people threw her into a van.

“I saw the gun so then I was more scared,” she said through a translator.

Kour said the trio stole $7,000 worth of jewelry, including items from her wedding.

She said the crime lasted maybe minutes, but has now scarred her for far longer.

“I don’t want to go out because I feel like they are going to kill me if I go out," she said.

The Sikhs have long been a staple here in Richmond Hill.

Over the last few weeks, NY1 has reported on several attacks on members of the Sikh community in Richmond Hill.

Harpreet Singh Toor, a community organizer, said this is the sixth incident in less than two months.

“We want to let people know that hate is not acceptable,” he said.

NYPD has made one arrest in one of these cases, leading to a 20-year-old being charged with a hate crime.

He said he hears about people walking around, keeping their guard up, not sure if they’ll be targeted next.

“It is sad," he said. "No doubt about it.”

No doubt about this either: Kour is now scared. Her visit from India to see her husband in America has been ruined as whoever she says attacked her is out there.

She said she did not report the crime to police at first because she was so afraid.

Community leaders said since she doesn’t speak English, she was nervous to come forward. They said it's a problem they see unfortunately far too often

4 hours ago, Premi said:

In this latest case, the woman says she was robbed of $7,000 in jewelry

You can't really make this into a hate crime. NY has had chain snatching going on from before most of you were born. 

And you're right, a lot of lower (non-asian) street guys know about 22k gold stashes that apnay have. They target them from time to time. 

Given potential war, inflation, potential recession, people better smarten up quickly. I think these things can increase, and no one will have any empathy for our lot (or brown people in general) because they'll be seen as silver spoons, living it up in wealth whilst others suffer - regardless of the accuracy of this depiction. 

1 hour ago, dalsingh101 said:

You can't really make this into a hate crime. NY has had chain snatching going on from before most of you were born. 

And you're right, a lot of lower (non-asian) street guys know about 22k gold stashes that apnay have. They target them from time to time. 

Given potential war, inflation, potential recession, people better smarten up quickly. I think these things can increase, and no one will have any empathy for our lot (or brown people in general) because they'll be seen as silver spoons, living it up in wealth whilst others suffer - regardless of the accuracy of this depiction. 

many Indians like other communities like to show off any signs of wealth even if they have little. I have noticed Africans in the UK can be like that also with regards to showing off flash cars etc.

In India maybe they get ‘respect’/honour if they do that and less chance of being mugged, but in inner cities in the West it doesn’t work that way.

@dalsingh101

moped gangs in the UK are still targeting peoples’ mobile phones  I believe .

1 hour ago, Premi said:

many Indians like other communities like to show off any signs of wealth even if they have little. I have noticed Africans in the UK can be like that also with regards to showing off flash cars etc.

In India maybe they get ‘respect’/honour if they do that and less chance of being mugged, but in inner cities in the West it doesn’t work that way.

@dalsingh101

moped gangs in the UK are still targeting peoples’ mobile phones  I believe .

Notice how things often go in trends on street level. Like we had a whole rash of acid attacks in London for a while that seems to have died down now. It's the same with Indian gold robbing, I remember it was an issue a good while back but has died down. But like I mentioned earlier, these trends can come back suddenly and new ones suddenly pop up. 

These bibian need to be told about how dasmesh pita as a child threw his gold bangles in the river. I understand some apnay use sohna as portable wealth for investment, but flashing it about in urban areas is asking for trouble. I mean look at how Amir Khan got jacked for his watch in E.London, and he's a professional boxer.

Notice as well how recently britains 'rich list' includes a few asians (Rishi and the steel brothers) this type of shyte can breed resentment at ground level. We already know some blacks resent nonblacks moving into their neighbourhoods and opening stores in the US for example.