Sqay - Kashmiri martial art

Premi

http://risingkashmir.com/tral-man-revives-kashmirâs-traditional-martial-arts

@GurjantGnostic

Bhat said that since childhood he was naughty and would always fight with children at his village. “Due to my fighting behavior my family sent me to nearby village Diver where a Sikh martial artist taught me all the skills

Tral man revives Kashmir’s traditional martial arts

Bhat said that since childhood he was naughty and would always fight with children at his village. “Due to my fighting behavior my family sent me to nearby village Diver where a Sikh martial artist taught me all the skills and from there I went to indoo

Post by on Wednesday, December 2, 2020

http://admin.risingkashmir.com/Source/News/

Tral, Dec 02: Faroze Ahmad Bhat, 37, a resident of south Kashmir’s Tral is one of the rare faces in Kashmir valley who is deeply involved with traditional martial arts or Sqay.

Sqay locally known as shamsherzani (Sabre-fighting) is an Indian martial arts form of sword-fighting originating from Kashmir valley. The history of Sqay can be traced in early days of Kashmir history.

It is governed by the Sqay Federation of India. Armed sqay makes use of a curved single-edge sword paired with a shield, or one sword in each hand. Unarmed techniques incorporate kicks, punches, locks and chops. Sqay have different techniques: single sword double sword free hand techniques and lessons of both free hand and sword.

Since, 1999 Bhat has been playing martial arts, and last year he started his own Sqay martial arts academy for the youth in Tral.

The main aim of the academy is that the youth, who come from different areas of Tral, are provided coaching by their mentor.

The traditional martial arts or Sqay Bhat believes is the fastest-growing sport in the world.

“The School Games Federation of India has already recognised the art which is gaining popularity at the world level also. The Federation organises competitions at the school, district, inter-district, state and national level while the Sqay Federation of India holds events up to the international level," Bhat said. " The art was recently placed in Khelo India and good thing is that it may be included in the Olympics."

Bhat said that since childhood he was naughty and would always fight with children at his village. “Due to my fighting behavior my family sent me to nearby village Diver where a Sikh martial artist taught me all the skills and from there I went to indoor stadium Srinagar, and learnt Thang Ta, Karate, Judo."

"I am a big fan of this game and want to pass it to the next generation due to which I started my academy here,†said Bhat. who claimed to be black belt.

Bhat said apart from India Sqay is gaining popularity across the world, and  is equally popular in 54 countried that includes Pakistan, Turkey, China, Nepal, Syria and America.

“People in my academy are showing great response and skills towards Sqay. Within a time of just one year they are participating at national and international level," he said.

Bhat said Tral is filled with talented people and  youth have participated in South Asian games.

"This year two new youths will participate at international level in Turkey,†Bhat said.

7 hours ago, Premi said:

http://risingkashmir.com/tral-man-revives-kashmirâs-traditional-martial-arts

@GurjantGnostic

Tral man revives Kashmirâ€2122.pngs traditional martial arts

Bhat said that since childhood he was naughty and would always fight with children at his village. “Due to my fighting behavior my family sent me to nearby village Diver where a Sikh martial artist taught me all the skills and from there I went to indoo

Post by on Wednesday, December 2, 2020

Tral, Dec 02: Faroze Ahmad Bhat, 37, a resident of south Kashmirâ€2122.pngs Tral is one of the rare faces in Kashmir valley who is deeply involved with traditional martial arts or Sqay.

Sqay locally known as shamsherzani (Sabre-fighting) is an Indian martial arts form of sword-fighting originating from Kashmir valley. The history of Sqay can be traced in early days of Kashmir history.

It is governed by the Sqay Federation of India. Armed sqay makes use of a curved single-edge sword paired with a shield, or one sword in each hand. Unarmed techniques incorporate kicks, punches, locks and chops. Sqay have different techniques: single sword double sword free hand techniques and lessons of both free hand and sword.

Since, 1999 Bhat has been playing martial arts, and last year he started his own Sqay martial arts academy for the youth in Tral.

The main aim of the academy is that the youth, who come from different areas of Tral, are provided coaching by their mentor.

The traditional martial arts or Sqay Bhat believes is the fastest-growing sport in the world.

“The School Games Federation of India has already recognised the art which is gaining popularity at the world level also. The Federation organises competitions at the school, district, inter-district, state and national level while the Sqay Federation of India holds events up to the international level," Bhat said. " The art was recently placed in Khelo India and good thing is that it may be included in the Olympics."

Bhat said that since childhood he was naughty and would always fight with children at his village. “Due to my fighting behavior my family sent me to nearby village Diver where a Sikh martial artist taught me all the skills and from there I went to indoor stadium Srinagar, and learnt Thang Ta, Karate, Judo."

"I am a big fan of this game and want to pass it to the next generation due to which I started my academy here,†said Bhat. who claimed to be black belt.

Bhat said apart from India Sqay is gaining popularity across the world, and  is equally popular in 54 countried that includes Pakistan, Turkey, China, Nepal, Syria and America.

“People in my academy are showing great response and skills towards Sqay. Within a time of just one year they are participating at national and international level," he said.

Bhat said Tral is filled with talented people and  youth have participated in South Asian games.

"This year two new youths will participate at international level in Turkey,†Bhat said.

The game aspect of it gonna hamstring it a bit but looks better than most. For example. The still of the video shows a dude who would not be taking his leg home in a swordfight most likely.