ਬਾਗ਼ੀ ਬੱਤੀ- Time for a new Panjabi Literary movement / group, to reflect the needs of the very few who read and write Panjabi outside of Indian Subcontinent

In short the idea is not necessarily to create a different type of literary movement in terms of something like Modernism, Romanticism etc, but more like a unit of few like minded individuals with broadly the same goals, such as Beat Poets or Bloomsbury group. Only unlike the latter two we don't know each other or are physically too far away from each other to meet up. I would like to propose the Sikhawareness forum as the conduit of communication and organisation,

No leader or Pardaan is required. No ਫ਼ਰਕ should take place.  Despite my title of the post it does not mean we exclude people from the subcontinent, or Panjabis who are of different castes ( As Sikhs we fundamentally reject such crap anyhow) or even religions. Again as Sikhs unlike other religions we do not call  ours the true one. We accept all and tell a Hindu for example to be the best Hindu he can etc. Anyhow such like matters are to be discussed and have already been discussed under other relevant topics. So this means the Muslim majority who make up most Panjabis can partake if they wish. Though I personally prefer to promote the Gurmukhi writing system, we cannot be prejudice to other alphabets including Latin / English one.

If there is an appetite for this , this thread will soon show that, as it will if there is not.

My proposal is simple,

- Promotion of Reading Gurmukhi books and literature, whether religious / philosophical or Poetry  or fiction,

- Promotion of contemporary Panjabi language, in particular the way it has evolved outside Panjab ( India and Pakistan) for example in English Language countries. 

- Pride in our different format of Panjabi, be it due to lexicon, grammar or Style. And to write in its authentic voice primarily for our future generations but also to have some compromise to make it work for Panjabis from Panjab where in reality most readers are from.

- Experimenting in our own way with the language and style ( thus the proposed group title ਬਾਗ਼ੀ ਬੱਤੀ ( see link...You can join this group to discuss the same too... https://www.facebook.com/groups/362576490509036/  ).

- Creating our own literature

If people are interested let me know here. As there were only 5 Pyaray, I see no concern in worrying about getting more than that in numbers anyhow.

I long ago labelled my own style as ਵਿਚਿਤਰਵਾਦ as a mash up of typical English literature in areas as diverse as Sci-Fi and Fantasy . Magical realism and new type of sentence structure. Taht can be up for discussion, but no one has to follow that way of doing things

4 hours ago, ਰੂਪ ਢਿੱਲੋਂ said:

In short the idea is not necessarily to create a different type of literary movement in terms of something like Modernism, Romanticism etc, but more like a unit of few like minded individuals with broadly the same goals, such as Beat Poets or Bloomsbury group. Only unlike the latter two we don't know each other or are physically too far away from each other to meet up. I would like to propose the Sikhawareness forum as the conduit of communication and organisation,

No leader or Pardaan is required. No ਫ਼ਰਕ should take place.  Despite my title of the post it does not mean we exclude people from the subcontinent, or Panjabis who are of different castes ( As Sikhs we fundamentally reject such crap anyhow) or even religions. Again as Sikhs unlike other religions we do not call  ours the true one. We accept all and tell a Hindu for example to be the best Hindu he can etc. Anyhow such like matters are to be discussed and have already been discussed under other relevant topics. So this means the Muslim majority who make up most Panjabis can partake if they wish. Though I personally prefer to promote the Gurmukhi writing system, we cannot be prejudice to other alphabets including Latin / English one.

If there is an appetite for this , this thread will soon show that, as it will if there is not.

My proposal is simple,

- Promotion of Reading Gurmukhi books and literature, whether religious / philosophical or Poetry  or fiction,

- Promotion of contemporary Panjabi language, in particular the way it has evolved outside Panjab ( India and Pakistan) for example in English Language countries. 

- Pride in our different format of Panjabi, be it due to lexicon, grammar or Style. And to write in its authentic voice primarily for our future generations but also to have some compromise to make it work for Panjabis from Panjab where in reality most readers are from.

- Experimenting in our own way with the language and style ( thus the proposed group title ਬਾਗ਼ੀ ਬੱਤੀ ( see link...You can join this group to discuss the same too... https://www.facebook.com/groups/362576490509036/  ).

If people are interested let me know here. As there were only 5 Pyaray, I see no concern in worrying about getting more than that in numbers anyhow.

I long ago labelled my own style as ਵਿਚਿਤਰਵਾਦ as a mash up of typical English literature in areas as diverse as Sci-Fi and Fantasy . Magical realism and new type of sentence structure. Taht can be up for discussion, but no one has to follow that way of doing things

I'm too ignorant to be in a Pyare, and also slaving this year, but I love everything you just said. And you can count on my regular ignorant attendance and participation. 

• ਰੂਪ ਢਿੱਲੋਂ changed the title to ਬਾਗ਼ੀ ਬੱਤੀ- Time for a new Panjabi Literary movement / group, to reflect the needs of the very few who read and write Panjabi outside of Indian Subcontinent
5 hours ago, GurjantGnostic said:

I'm too ignorant to be in a Pyare, and also slaving this year, but I love everything you just said. And you can count on my regular ignorant attendance and participation. 

your participation is enough. i feel like this is a scene out of the Magnificent 7 where I now say ...That's 2

On 11/9/2022 at 5:27 AM, ਰੂਪ ਢਿੱਲੋਂ said:

My proposal is simple,

Great idea.  Will you have these discussions only on facebook or also on this forum.  

It seems the internet has given a big boost to Punjabi literature.  Sites that host Punjabi literature old and new get alot of readers.  People generally have better access to Punjabi books now.

Dass tried to get a Punjabi section going on this forum but seems like people were not interested.  Maybe, we can try again.