Concerns over Oldbury mum and stepdad killer 'unaddressed'

I think the relatives should consider sue the relevant agencies if they did not do their job properly, it looks like racism/stereotyping maybe occurred here which meant the case was not taken as seriously as should have been. Also highlights the lack of mental health services available in this country, which is probably due to an increase over time in mental health problems.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-birmingham-64489491

2 February

Concerns about a man's health before he murdered his mother and stepfather went unaddressed, says a report on professionals' handling of the case.

Anmol Chana was 25 when he stabbed Jasbir Kaur, 52, and husband Rupinder Bassan, 51, in Oldbury, West Midlands, in 2020.

An investigation has since said more could have been done by agencies about his violence and mental health.

It found family felt he showed elements of psychosis before the attacks.

Chana is serve a minimum of 36 years in prison.

The Safer Sandwell Partnership Local Police and Crime Board published its Independent Domestic Homicide Review on Thursday, and said understanding child-to-parent abuse "was not widespread, even across agencies that would be expected to deal" with its effects.

Among the highlighted issues were instances of victim-blaming by agencies and Chana's lack of formal assessment by mental health professionals despite troubling behaviour.

After Chana killed Mrs Kaur and Mr Bassan at their home, he stole from them, went to the pub and planned to flee the country.

The review covered healthcare professionals' involvement with the family from 2002, when they moved to Sandwell, until the couple's death in February 2020.

It raised "significant victim-blaming by professionals in their response" to child-to-parent abuse and said that "clear, explicit threats of violence" made by Chana to his mother "never assumed the prominence that, with hindsight, they should have".

The report said Chana "was never formally assessed by mental health professionals in adulthood and was not referred to mental health services by his GP or [emergency] staff, because he was unwilling to engage", which meant "the family's concerns went unaddressed".

"They felt in the months before the homicide that he was exhibiting elements of psychosis and was a danger to them and others," the report stated.

Partnership chair Ch Supt Maria Fox said it was clear that "over many years of agencies' involvement with the perpetrator", more could have been done to address his violent behaviour and "poor mental health".

You know what, I think when some desi parents interact with such agencies, the mixture of accent, and sometimes seemingly over exaggerated acting, makes people not take them seriously. 

I think that may have been an issue with Ricky Reel's case too. Stephen Lawrence's mum and dad presented and articulated themselves in a way that the majority could relate too I believe. It's something about perceived dignity I imagine (at least partly).

Plus we have to face up to the possibility that browns are generally given less respect than blacks in the UK. Paul Chowdry in that interview he did for C4, talks about this. I mean, it's only now, in literally the last few weeks (probably due to KSI's bull5shit), that the daily mail have started to use asterisks in their articles for the slur p**i, whereas 'nigger' had been covered with asterisks for a long time.   

On 5/1/2023 at 2:45 PM, dalsingh101 said:

You know what, I think when some desi parents interact with such agencies, the mixture of accent, and sometimes seemingly over exaggerated acting, makes people not take them seriously. 

When I worked in hospital a few years ago, there were some paramedics from Yorkshire working temporarily in the emergency department. 

We were chatting and they told me they had a label for some Asian patients "Asian woman syndrome" who were overdramatic out of proportion to their illness/symptoms! 

Over-dramatic behaviour seems more common in women than men when in situations of poor health or danger or bereavement