I'm a Muslim who would like to convert to Sikhism help.

Hi everyone I would like to convert to Sikhism let me tell you about myself.

I come from a Christian family I converted to Islam two yrs ago I do not think Islam is a good fit for me I think Sikhism is the best faith for me.

Their is one bad thing I live three hrs away from a Gurudwara and I have no car at this time I'm not sure what to do.

Is their anything I will need to say to become a Sikh like in Islam you say the Kalima.

I would also like to know about praying.

Your help would be great!

Amrit is taken to enter Sikhism.

Also the following of rehat is very important.

There are 3 banis in the morning: Japuji Sahib, Jaap Sahib, and tav Prasaade Swayae

There is one in the evening: Rehraas

And one before sleeping: Sohila

Please visit www.sgpc.net for more.

Commiting any of the following is a cardinal sin and must never be commited

1. Cutting hair

2. Intercourse outside of marriage

3. Taking intoxicants

4. eating Halal

Also live to the best of your ability with high character. When someone takes Amrit, the person joins the military of God and only belongs to God.

Hope this helps. If you have any more questions, just ask. We are here to serve people.

Is their anything I will need to say to become a Sikh like in Islam you say the Kalima.

Welcome to the forum bro. I hope you enjoy the stay.

Yes you will need to prepare yourself to be Sikh of Guru..this is how step by step.

- Learn about Sikhism:

excellent resource:

http://www.sikhnet.com/s/SikhIntro

- Learn about Sikh Guru's

http://www.sikhs.org/10gurus.htm

- Learn about Sikh Saints:

http://www.sikhs.org/saints.htm

- Learn about Sikh Philosphy and Scriptures:

http://www.sikhs.org/topics2.htm

then after reading all that... main thing would be absorb as much you can.

Taking baptism is crucial step in life. It's not recommended for you yet..first is to completely explore sikhism inside and out , ask questions if you not sure, then to prepare yourself (ie- get up in ambrosial hours do morning prayers,grow kesh, not commit 4 sins above stated, do selfless service - giving 10th share of your income to poor, wear 5k's ) to partake amrit(immortal drink).

Also just to clarify

- Getting up ambrosial hours take shower and do morning prayers, meditation on God/vahiguroo

- Do selfless service (seva)

- Be kind, compassion toward others

- No Slandering, Back Bitting

- Give 10th share of your income,time to help the needy.

- Living in rehat (displine)

- Singing devotional praises of vahiguroo in form of music (Kirtan)

- Eat less (in moderation), sleep less ((in moderation), talk less ((in moderation)

- Observing your mind

- Building up emotions to merge with God

- Staying in God's will

- Taking baptism (Amrit/Immortal Drink prepared by 5 beloved) of our Guru's to intiate yourself into Khalsa.

All this above is needed to cleanse our mind so that human can merge with God because only wall between us and god is wall of ego along with 5 vices- lust, anger, pride, attachment, greed...once the wall is destroyed you can merge with him as drop merges with the ocean.

Good luck..we are always here as a sangat to help those who are in need :)

The real thing is love - always remember the words of Guru Gobind Singh...

'jin prem kio tin hee prabh payaao'

'those who hav loved with all their heart will truly find the Lord'

Don't get caught up in technicalities that some of the sangat on this post have immediately refered to. Start with the basics of

1) naam japo - meditation with love on the waheguru mantra

2)kirat karo - earning an honest living with love

3)vand chako - sharing what you earn with those who are in need again with love

You see a common pattern - Love!

It's the most important ingridient

don't get bogged down in technicalities

'God is the masterplan - the devil lies in the technicalities' - a wise man once told me.

waheguru

I agree with Challange veer. Those 3 things are the foundation of Sikhi in its simplist form. Truely speaking if you can implement those 3 things in your life not as a duty but as a part of your life where you do not say you 'have' to do this but, you 'want' to do it. It become a natural reaction from your heart where you don't have to force yourself to do it, then it has become a part of your life. it will be enough.

Regarding taking Amrit you will know when you are ready. Don't take it in a rush, let the desire come naturally and it will given you keep a steady and inclining pace of Bhagti (devotion).

Yet i am curious to ask why did you shift from Christianity to Islam to Sikhi? Personally i do not understand why people convert. Perhaps you can share with me/us of your reason if you wish to do so?

Take the Lords name in your heart and merge with God as One. Recite the Lords name with your heart, tonge and mind.

===============================================

This Shabad is by Guru Raam Daas Ji in So Dar on Pannaa 10

raag goojaree mehalaa 4 ||

Raag Goojaree, Fourth Mehl:

har kae jan sathigur sathapurakhaa bino karo gur paas ||

O humble servant of the Lord, O True Guru, O True Primal Being: I offer my humble prayer to You, O Guru.

ham keerae kiram sathigur saranaaee kar dhaeiaa naam paragaas ||1||

I am a mere insect, a worm. O True Guru, I seek Your Sanctuary. Please be merciful, and bless me with the Light of the Naam, the Name of the Lord. ||1||

maerae meeth guradhaev mo ko raam naam paragaas ||

O my Best Friend, O Divine Guru, please enlighten me with the Name of the Lord.

guramath naam maeraa praan sakhaaee har keerath hamaree reharaas ||1|| rehaao ||

Through the Guru's Teachings, the Naam is my breath of life. The Kirtan of the Lord's Praise is my life's occupation. ||1||Pause||

har jan kae vadd bhaag vaddaerae jin har har saradhhaa har piaas ||

The servants of the Lord have the greatest good fortune; they have faith in the Lord, and a longing for the Lord.

har har naam milai thripathaasehi mil sa(n)gath gun paragaas ||2||

Obtaining the Name of the Lord, Har, Har, they are satisfied; joining the Sangat, the Blessed Congregation, their virtues shine forth. ||2||

jin har har har ras naam n paaeiaa thae bhaageheen jam paas ||

Those who have not obtained the Sublime Essence of the Name of the Lord, Har, Har, Har, are most unfortunate; they are led away by the Messenger of Death.

jo sathigur saran sa(n)gath nehee aaeae dhhrig jeevae dhhrig jeevaas ||3||

Those who have not sought the Sanctuary of the True Guru and the Sangat, the Holy Congregation-cursed are their lives, and cursed are their hopes of life. ||3||

jin har jan sathigur sa(n)gath paaee thin dhhur masathak likhiaa likhaas ||

Those humble servants of the Lord who have attained the Company of the True Guru, have such pre-ordained destiny inscribed on their foreheads.

dhhan dhha(n)n sathasa(n)gath jith har ras paaeiaa mil jan naanak naam paragaas ||4||4||

Blessed, blessed is the Sat Sangat, the True Congregation, where the Lord's Essence is obtained. Meeting with His humble servant, O Nanak, the Light of the Naam shines forth. ||4||4||

Also check out this site, its a good website, it'll help you understand a bit about Sikhism. It'll tell you things about our Gurus', what is the Khalsa, Rights of Women, Sikh Marriage, Sikh Warriors and Martyrs, Why we're surpose to keep our hair etc.

http://www.searchsikhism.com/index.html

yea, you should read about Sikhism and then when you're reading take amrit.

You dont become a Sikh when you have taken Khanda Daa Amrit, you become Khalsa but still afterwoulds you dont stop learning. I have taken Amrit Naam; meaning Name of God being Amrit itself in another form, but I havent taken Khanda Daa Amrit yet but I do want to.

I remeber a lady who has taken Amrit once said, "Is there such a thing as a bad student?"

And she also said, "Should the pupil still have the right to call him/herself a student"?

I personally feel that everyone here including me is putting thewall off being a Sikh because we're arguing in ourselves (Sounds familiar!!!)

Read the shabad below. This is from Guru Granth Sahib. Guru Ji is saying what is a Sikh.

Fourth Mehl:

gur sathigur kaa jo sikh akhaaeae s bhalakae out(h) har naam dhhiaavai ||

One who calls himself a Sikh of the Guru, the True Guru, shall rise in the early morning hours and meditate on the Lord's Name.

oudham karae bhalakae parabhaathee eisanaan karae a(n)mrith sar naavai ||

Upon arising early in the morning, he is to bathe, and cleanse himself in the pool of nectar.

oupadhaes guroo har har jap jaapai sabh kilavikh paap dhokh lehi jaavai ||

Following the Instructions of the Guru, he is to chant the Name of the Lord, Har, Har. All sins, misdeeds and negativity shall be erased.

fir charrai dhivas gurabaanee gaavai behadhiaa out(h)adhiaa har naam dhhiaavai ||

Then, at the rising of the sun, he is to sing Gurbani; whether sitting down or standing up, he is to meditate on the Lord's Name.

jo saas giraas dhhiaaeae maeraa har har so gurasikh guroo man bhaavai ||

One who meditates on my Lord, Har, Har, with every breath and every morsel of food - that GurSikh becomes pleasing to the Guru's Mind.

jis no dhaeiaal hovai maeraa suaamee this gurasikh guroo oupadhaes sunaavai ||

That person, unto whom my Lord and Master is kind and compassionate - upon that GurSikh, the Guru's Teachings are bestowed.

jan naanak dhhoorr ma(n)gai this gurasikh kee jo aap japai avareh naam japaavai ||2||

Servant Nanak begs for the dust of the feet of that GurSikh, who himself chants the Naam, and inspires others to chant it. ||2||