Inscriptions on the walls of the Harimandir Sahib

Freed

Inscriptions on the walls of the Harimandir Sahib.

The opening Slok of the Sukhmani Sahib - Gold work from the walls of the Harimandir Sahib.

sukhmani2hs.jpg

The dedication above the Main Door of the Harimandir Sahib.

The dedication is dated 1887 - (AD1830)

It reads ' Siri Maharaj Guru Sahib Ji ne apne param sewak sikh jaan kar Sri Darbar Sahib Ji ki sewa sri Maharaja Singh Sahib Ranjit Singh ji par daya karke karai . Sammant 1887.'

translation (from Patwant Singh 1988) - The Great Guru in His wisdom looked upon Maharaja Ranjit Singh as his chief servitor and Sikh, in his benevolence, bestowed on him the privilege of serving the temple . '

Before the restoration ;

gtinscription1ti.png

After the restoration - Photograph taken in Feb 2000

inscripasr7ln.png

The Inscription on the Side Door - Dated 1896 (AD 1839) - Photograph from the 1970s.

It asks SatGuru Ji to Maintain the "BolBala" of the Khalsa - and thanks Guru Sahib for bestowing the opportunity to perform Sewa on Maharaja Ranjit Singh - on Bhai Sant Singh Giani - (Head Giani of Maharaja Ranjit Singh - who arranged and managed the Gold plating, restoration and beautification of The Darbar Sahib) and on Maharaja Kharak Singh and Kanwar Nau Nihal Singh.

harmandirsidedoor5ky.jpg

The Opening Verses of Sri Guru Granth Sahib - Japji - on the arches of the balcony of the upper floor of the Harimandir Sahib

japjiasr0lp.png

* From The Golden Temple - Patwant Singh 1988

"Amritsar SatGur Sat Vadi Jit Natey Kaooa Hans Hove"

Window Arch in the Harimandir Sahib

windowasr6lz.png

* from Marg Vol XXX 3 June 1977

last time I went to Harmandir Sahib which was in spring of this year, i noticed intresting inscriptions on the upper most floor, I had no camera so was unable to take pictures but any singh singhni can do so, would be well appreciated, as you walk up the final flight of stairs towards the roof open air top floor of Harmandir Sahib you will notice that along the stiars the paintings on the walls has faded, and people have taken to oppertunity to write their own inscriptions over the walls, such as a big heart with i love you rupi, etc

I have no idea why or how someone could do such a thing but it has been done, but nice pics freed yaara its nice to see someone is taking intrest in preserving the art work.

Here's some interesting ones that sangat may not have seen I took these in 2005, as you go to the top of Harimander Sahib, and the steps that are at the back here are the top steps pictures :)

Please someone translate if possible before they are white washed or changed to blend in with the rest of the new structure.

script%20from%20top%20of%20harminder%20sahib.jpg

script%20from%20top%20of%20harminder%20sahib%202.jpg