Introducing Punjab Heritage News

amandeepm

Introducing Punjab Heritage News : The very latest news and commentary on a heritage under threat.

The Punjab has played host some of the world’s greatest civilisations. Each has left a interminable mark on the country; sumptuous palaces, imposing forts, havelis and courtyard residences and the unique mud built houses of the rural peasantry inimitably identify the region.

Within Punjab the rich and diverse traditions of different communities have clashed over the centuries and spawned a multitude of hybrids. Cultural fusions of musical traditions, religious expression, linguistic oddities, and even culinary styles abound in its fertile plains. A powerful combination of robust colour, strong narrative and brutal honesty distinguish Punjabi art in all its forms prompting one nineteenth century observer to describe the unique colour palette of the Punjab as “warm and rich and fearlessâ€

Today, that unique and rich heritage is under threat. It is being torn down in the name of modernisation and ripped apart in acts of cultural vandalism. Neglect and ignorance of the importance of Punjab’s material heritage are a huge contributor to the persistent destruction of buildings, artworks, manuscripts and other items of material heritage.

Today the United Kingdom Punjab Heritage Association (UKPHA) launches a new website called Punjab Heritage News to act as a daily news source for those who share our interest in the heritage of the Punjab.

Commenting on the launch of the new website, Gurinder Chadha, Director and writer of the films ‘Bend it Like Beckham’ and ‘Bride and Prejudice’ said today “I learned about my own past and my family's history on BBC 1's 'Who do you think you are?' At Punjab Heritage News I learned how much of that history is in danger of disappearingâ€

This site collects all the very latest news stories on Punjab's material heritage; architecture, arts, historical monuments and cultural traditions. These stories are augmented with reviews and editorials from leading writers, journalists, conservators and activists who write specifically for this new site. This makes Punjab Heritage News the primary place for the latest news and commentary from the world’s experts on the state of Punjab’s rich heritage.

We hope that this site promotes the conservation efforts that are taking place as well as giving a voice to the activist and practitioners who are working tirelessly to preserve Punjab's heritage in all its forms.

just wanna say, good on you guys for doing this.

its obvious that the sgpc and other sikh groups aren't really taking any constructive steps to handle this 'time bomb' distaster.

best of luck in what you guys are doing, and if you need any support in this, in any area. I am more than happy to oblige.

Dear Jungee

Thanks for your note. The situation is wrose than you describe, Not only are sikh groups not doing anything constructive they are positively doing things that are destructive. There are a tiny band of activists and practitioners who are passionately concerned about the state of Punjab's heritage and I hope taht this website grows to become a place where we can find a voice and rally our collective thoughts on important issues.

Thanks also for your offer of help, I hope in the future to present positive projects that can be undertaken to preserve heritage.

One thing that you all may be able to help in is to help me find pictures documenting sites that are now long gone. I am writing a series of articels that will be published on the site titled "Lost Heritage of teh Punjab" This will document items of materila heritage that have been destroyed through negligence, vandalism , religious vandalism or through the ongoing cancer of "modernisation".

I am finding this very difficult to illustrate for obvious reasons ! do you have any images of the kacchighri (the mud fort) of Chamkaur before it was torn down by kar sevaks to make a ubiquitous white marble gurdwara ?

Aman

No problem,

I will look through my family pics, and network a little. how ever i do know a few individuals who collect photographs and paintings from north india. i will ask them and let you know what i come up with.

plus, i know its a long shot, but have you considered contacting the maharaja duleep fund organisation,boss ( The Sikh Student Organisation might be more approachable and helpfull) or any of the udasi's and nirmale in the UK, for some support.