Yoga Bhajen

Its a controversial topic as to how his yoga students actually adopted sikhism.

Some say that all of a sudden as his students learned yoga started growing there hair and wanted to become sikhs just like yogi bhajan.

But others have also said that post a few of his students wanting to convert, in all of the ashrams and yoga learning centres in order to learn yoga you then have to have a turban or head covered and must grow your hair.

There are also controversial claims that of Yogi Bhajan having several affairs with women and him being a "womanizer". Supposidley he was forgiven and given a tankah and punishment for his misdeeds.

All I know is that he has brought a lot of people to the feet of the guru.

Yes, I agree, but what is often overlooked is the context in which this happened. He was clearly aware of the parallel modern neo-hindu english speaking swami movement in the west, as clearly demonstrated in his language used. I think initially Sikhi was more a reference point than a motivation.

What I agree on, is less YBs abiding achievement but those inspiring individuals who took it on, put up with the crap that went with it, but remained honest and true to themselves.

Something that has troubled me about much of diaspora Sikhi is this over attachment to bana, what Chogyum Trungpa called spiritual materialism back in the 60s; a fixation with visual ideals of what a Kaur or Singh should look like. Definately has a lot to do with identity construction outside of India and projection of some spiritual ideal of themselves. I feel that 3HO have a lot of this kind of camera happy imagery stuff which I can only imagine causes a lot of psychological trouble (i.e. looking the part and being the part not always happening which definately causes unconscious psychological conflict).

just a few thoughts

No, you misunderstood. I am not questionning the need for bana. I am questionning the function it plays in diaspora context.

In India its a different context. Bana exists as a fundamental aspect of Nihang maryada, of a holistic ideology and symbolism, no probs - in India its totally integrated. Likewise in Punjab if I am in a chola, I am in a chola. Look at Niddar Singh, he clearly does not spend anything more than a minute tying that dumalla (hehe). In contrast some of his chelas, and many of these neo-rehit-mukti types seem incredibly concerned about the way they look as though their very identity is constructed around it. I met with some young Sikhs as part of a project I was involved with recently and I was surprised by how they had effectively come to represent Sikhi and a big part of that seemed to be dressing the part. But they did not seem to be themselves, more like what they wanted themselves to be. Thats what I am getting at.

Guest jalkamal108

yaar, i m on the same boat, soo much soo much i made a new id :P hoping this to work.

But no worries, last thing i checked on main admin, he is working to fix all the errors until then i would request everyone to always make back up of any post you are making on yahoo note pad or notepad in your computer, if it gives you error you can always try again. :)

Guest jalkamal108

actually i am wondering about this other day,

when jagiaso is intiated in the khalsa panth through 3ho, does panj pyares or panj pyariiieas from 3ho put more emphasis on keski?

Guest SAdmin

They do whatever Harbhajan Singh Yogi shared with them. They are researching on Sikhism now a day as Harbhajan Singh Yogi is not available. I don't think they consider "Keski" as one of the article of Sikh faith.

The 3HO-AKJ relationship is very interesting. I think the recent events with the tapoban types may mark a change in that tradition, but Bhai Fauja Singh originally befriended them. The more prominent 3HO types were in correspondence with him during his time in prison.

This bond went further in that when YB was to be taken to court on the rape case of Shakta Parwa Kaur, it was being funded by an AKJ member. Rather dubisouly it was Bhai Jeevan Singh who came to Yogi's rescue and pushed the AKJ member to drop the funding for the case and have it settled out of court. The thinking was that such a case would damage the image of Sikhi overseas.

I think the keski thing is not so much a belief about it being one of the panj kakaar, but of allowing the female 3HO members to also engage in this new identity thing. I mean this in no derogatory way, but back during the early 70s all those Swami cult groups were doing similar things. The new name, clothes, lifestyle, society (rejecting western social norms), friendships, etc was common to all and appealed to disillusioned hippies since it offered a new alluring identity and this projected image of spirituality.

You'll find all kinds of 3ho'ers. Some that have extremely limited knowledge of sikhi and are completly focused on Yoga tantric stuff. Others who have now moved away from the yoga and concentrate on sikhi.

I have even found some who acknowledge and respect yogi ji but now could care less about yoga and simply want to be sikhs and have naam kamai.

and tsingh, you make good points. btw. gurdev niddar singh jee really does only need a few seconds to tie his dumala which he ties without a mirror. But he does keep the tradition of wearing bana in the UK wear its not exactly common to see singhs in bana like that.

The 3ho people wear like all white, and the women have these interesting dastaars. really something else.

The 3HO-AKJ relationship is very interesting. I think the recent events with the tapoban types may mark a change in that tradition, but Bhai Fauja Singh originally befriended them. The more prominent 3HO types were in correspondence with him during his time in prison.

This bond went further in that when YB was to be taken to court on the rape case of Shakta Parwa Kaur, it was being funded by an AKJ member. Rather dubisouly it was Bhai Jeevan Singh who came to Yogi's rescue and pushed the AKJ member to drop the funding for the case and have it settled out of court. The thinking was that such a case would damage the image of Sikhi overseas.

I think the keski thing is not so much a belief about it being one of the panj kakaar, but of allowing the female 3HO members to also engage in this new identity thing. I mean this in no derogatory way, but back during the early 70s all those Swami cult groups were doing similar things. The new name, clothes, lifestyle, society (rejecting western social norms), friendships, etc was common to all and appealed to disillusioned hippies since it offered a new alluring identity and this projected image of spirituality.

some great observations :D