Taking Amrit

wjkk wjkf!,

hey,

i was thinking about taking amrit lot now a days. i have 3 amritdhari friends. one took amrit at the AKal Tukht and the other 2 at the dam dami taksal. wat r my options? i mean where are the places u can take amrit at? i hear theres several, akj, dam dami, ect.

im a bit lost here. i know i dont wanan take amrit from akj. ive read the damdami taksall rehit and history and i would prefer that, but isnt that a seperate jatha????

thats for the seva veer/bhan ji;s

waheguro ji ka khalsa, waheguru ji ki fateh!!!

you should not look jathebandi when you preparing to take amrit. Since amrit is given by panch singh not by a jathabandi...

What you should look at is:

- the jeevaan and the nitnem of the panj singh who take part in the amrit sanchar.

- how they conduct the amrit sanchar....if it is along the lines of tat-gurmat

• 1 month later...

Waheguru ji ka khalsa, waheguru ji ki fateh

Sadh sangat ji, i been having dreams lately where i have taken amrit. I actually took Amrit when i was 10 years old in india and kept it for 2 years but had to give it up when i came to UK. Family didn't help much, they just said u shud give up amrit cos its gonna be hard here.

Now that i am 20 years old, i want to take Amrit sometime in the next year. So can anyone from Midlandz tell me on what occasions are Amrit ceremonies going on, I don't know anything abut akj or anyother jathas and i don't care either.

I just want Guru gobind singh ji's Amrit from Panj pyares and need to know what is tthe best time and where in Midlandz or even better Manchester since thats like 45 mints away.

And could someone please tell me about the dreams i been having.

Guest kaur1699

Fateh Ji,

Waheguru ji ka khalsa, waheguru ji ki fateh

Sadh sangat ji, i been having dreams lately where i have taken amrit. I actually took Amrit when i was 10 years old in india and kept it for 2 years but had to give it up when i came to UK. Family didn't help much, they just said u shud give up amrit cos its gonna be hard here.

Now that i am 20 years old, i want to take Amrit sometime in the next year. So can anyone from Midlandz tell me on what occasions are Amrit ceremonies going on, I don't know anything abut akj or anyother jathas and i don't care either.

I just want Guru gobind singh ji's Amrit from Panj pyares and need to know what is tthe best time and where in Midlandz or even better Manchester since thats like 45 mints away.

And could someone please tell me about the dreams i been having.

Hi,

In the midlands, there is a Amrit Sanchaar on the first Sunday after the day of Sangrand (eg, Sangrand on Wed, so Amrit Sanchaar the following Sun) at Guru Nanak Niskam Sewak Jatha Gurdwara Sahib which is on Soho Rd, Handsworth, Birmingham. This takes place at about 10am, but its a good idea to get there abit earlier if you need any kakars.

Tying the beard is not mentioned in the Rehit of Guru Gobind Singh. Wearing the beard flowing and long is the natural state of the beard.Tying of the beard for social custom should not be done.

Historically, Sikh men started tying their beards because of the British. They didn't want to shave their beards, so tying them up was the next most British thing to do. It can be compared to Blacks straightening their hair to be more like Whites. It makes a huge difference. Let your beard flow and be proud of your Sikh heritage. And the effects of reading banis with a flowing beard? I think it matters, if the untied beard helps one feel more connected with the Gurus. The Gurus didn't tie up their beard when they recited bani. It would seem that on a subtle level, we would feel more connected to the Guru if we in turn read with our turbins flowing. But, of course, the practitioners devotion is the most important ingredient

Hope this helps :wink:

Tying the beard is not mentioned in the Rehit of Guru Gobind Singh. Wearing the beard flowing and long is the natural state of the beard.Tying of the beard for social custom should not be done.

Historically, Sikh men started tying their beards because of the British. They didn't want to shave their beards, so tying them up was the next most British thing to do. It can be compared to Blacks straightening their hair to be more like Whites. It makes a huge difference. Let your beard flow and be proud of your Sikh heritage. And the effects of reading banis with a flowing beard? I think it matters, if the untied beard helps one feel more connected with the Gurus. The Gurus didn't tie up their beard when they recited bani. It would seem that on a subtle level, we would feel more connected to the Guru if we in turn read with our turbins flowing. But, of course, the practitioners devotion is the most important ingredient

Hope this helps :wink:

but i dont get it. ppl tie up there hair on there head, wats the difference if u tie ur beard up?

I usually ask the same question but always get told its a fashion thingy.

We Tie the hair on our head with a rubber band and use oil.

I tie my darhi with a rubber band and some Gel.

Wats the difference?

I usually ask the same question but always get told its a fashion thingy.

We Tie the hair on our head with a rubber band and use oil.

I tie my darhi with a rubber band and some Gel.

Wats the difference?

So the difference is that on one you are going to tie a turban, I think it would be odd if someone tied a mini turban round their beard :LOL: ......sorry bad joke. I dont think there are any restrictions on tying the beard. You might have to tie your beard if you are in certain proffessions and there is nothing wrong with it. It a personal thing but I might be wrong. I dont think by tying ones beard would make them less religious. These days it has become a fashion thing.

I just have to end by saying, there is nothing like a singh with open darhaa(dhari).

Fateh ji