Freedom of speech or responsiblity of speech?

from source: shindasingh.com

===

Freedom of Speech…or Responsibility of Speech?

October 1st, 2006

Its hard to write a post about the following clip. None the less it was posted on Singh Sahba Canada’s website, which seems to be a group which favours and supports the notorious Kalaa Afghanaa, and is a proponent for the Sikh Missionary College.

The following is from a scene that happened last week at Mayfield Gurdwara Sahib, in Brampton Ontario. The speaker is Inder Singh Ghugga, professor of Sikh Missionary College.

I’ve never been fan of a missionary college let alone had the stomach to deal with them. Since knowing about them I’ve just had this natural repulsion against them. This had less to do with there actual vichaar’s and more to do with the the arrogance in which they presented themselves when dealing with them in any sort of vichaar.

At the on-set Singhs made it clear that they did not appreciate Inder Singh Ghugga’s views and stances in certain regards. A book he had published challenged different philosophies sensitive to many in the Sikh faith. While some may feel this is in his full freedom of speech / right to present these views, others take it that a certain level of responsibility need be taken by that individual when presenting there views.

Although, I do agree it would have been better if vichaar was done and a debate within Sangat was arranged versus the protest, it was highly apprehensive that Inder Singh spew such remarks towards the Singhs knowing good well the atmosphere was already as volatile as it was.

At the end of the day I guess it all comes down to…”if you want beef lets get it then…you want peace I’m with it then..I dont start beef I finish it. yea dawg I’m militant”…

Just to note - Since the incident Singhs have been able to get together, and create a peace, having done Ardaas for forgiveness. It is rumored that several sit downs have also occured between Inder Singh Ghugga and various vidvaans as he mentions, and hopefully the recordings exist somewhere so to be presented on the net at some time.

Video can be seen:

http://www.shindasingh.com/blog/?p=297

My view on this:

Wow, what can i say? don’t know what to feel, pity or angry towards people who fully lost their cool infront of maharaj hazoori. I think it was disrespectful to fight in the gurdwara-maharaj’s darbar.

As someone already on this thread, they should have taken it outside.

Sikh Fascist Missionary has only one goal which is to destory sikhi with their tunnel mind thinking and victorian influence (be rational and all that bullocks in social circle)

Only way to do parchar against them is not lose your cool or give them death threats, beat them, trash them etc etc.

We are dealing with fascist ideology(black/white mindset/over hindu parnoia, over rationality, judge guru sahiban by one’s standards)..we are not dealing with fascist person here.

Lets do it calmly. I always wanted to see vichar/debate discussion between Sampardai Sikhs and Modern Day Pseduo Scholars.

I have a freind who lives in montreal, he is katha vachik.. he spent all his life with nirmala’s mahapursh, learning vidya from taksal and nirmala instituations.

I ll ask him if he can challenge these pseudo scholars on a larger scale in toronto. If he said, yes, then i ll invite sikh missionary biggest chela who is on many forums - name as “The Khalsa Fauji” .

If challenge went ahead.. then i defaniately need help of my fellow taksali singhs, making video, setting up discussion sort of environment.

Guest SAdmin

Ok! I just finished watching the whole video. It is sad to see Singhs without turbans fighting with other Singhs. It's nothing new if SGPC task force is involved but seeing this in Canadian Gurudwara Sahib was surprising. I think we should start some kind of website dedicated to show this sad stage of panth. www.singhs-fights.org? :(

Guest SAdmin

Sidh Gosht with Yogis is fine example of Sikh Guru's intelligence. In India religious debates were common when new religion or theory was being launched. I think "Waheguru" sangat which I assume was protesting on behalf of Taksal's views did very poor demonstration of Sikhism values. Although Inder Singh Ghugga might have said something which may have been distortion but still it doesn't give "Modern religion" follower which is compatible with science as per some a right to fight with each other.

These guys should face five disciples and ask for forgiveness. They have insulted Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji. If they got intellectual challenges from Inder Singh Ghugga then ask Dam Dammi Taksal's intellctuals to come forward and defend their stance or accept their defeat.

Sidh Gosht with Yogis is fine example of Sikh Guru's intelligence. In India religious debates were common when new religion or theory was being launched. I think "Waheguru" sangat which I assume was protesting on behalf of Taksal's views did very poor demonstration of Sikhism values. Although Inder Singh Ghugga might have said something which may have been distortion but still it doesn't give "Modern religion" follower which is compatible with science as per some a right to fight with each other.

These guys should face five disciples and ask for forgiveness. They have insulted Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji. If they got intellectual challenges from Inder Singh Ghugga then ask Dam Dammi Taksal's intellctuals to come forward and defend their stance or accept their defeat.

In case you don't know, the Singhs that were protesting asked for ghagga to debate with them b4 going up, they were refused and cuz of this they started protesting.

Also, I have heard that tapobanis had a debate with ghagga and supposedly tore his ideas apart. However, I'll believe it when I see the evidence.

Guest SAdmin

Gurpreet Singh,

If they have asked him then record it and present online. It won't take much time or money to record that few young men/intellectuals asking him in sangat or privately to have debate. If he backs off it brings credibility to this statement that he is just distorting the facts. Guy is clearly challenging them on the stage that come forward and have debate, so his denial to have debate is not something which is digestible. Tapobanis should record if they had debates with Inder Singh Ghugga otherwise it is just an assertion without any backup evidence to support it.

i live in denmark, and you have probably all heard about the Muhamamd cartoons that were published by a danish newspaper last year.

well...things seems odd..they havent learnt from their lessons....the arab world boycotted danish products which resulted in the loss of 1. billion danish krones, and now the crisis is up again, after some politicians made a "who can draw Muhammad the funniest" competion..the winner was a camel with Muhammads face on it, drinking beer...

yesterday a new article in a danish newspaper was added saying Muhammad was a phedophile.....

the danish politicians call it "freedom of speach"....

Gurfateh

Das Muslims not been so much hystric,then these guys would not have repeatedly offended them.

Anyway regarding Rasool,who so ever spits at moon gets spit on his face.so Danish were wrong and Muslims hystercally opposing them are also wrong.They should have tried to use more intellectual way to oppse danish idiots.