Should one become 'neech' to meet Guru NAnak Dev Jee?

Pray Truth for all and say Satsriakal!

Dear all!

I came across different translations of the Guru's Vaak

"neechaa andar neech jaat neechee hoo at neech. naanak tin kai sang saath vadi-aa si-o ki-aa rees." SGGS Ang 15-8

These translations are expressing similar thoughts. For example:

1. Nanak seeks the company of the lowest of the low class, the very lowest of the low . . .

2. Nanak seeks the company of those who are of low castle among the lowly, nay rather the lowest of the low . . .

I wish to know if some try to become 'neech' with a hope to meet Guru NAnak Dev Jee one day. Please express your views.

Balbir Singh

Only through Guru Ji's Kirpa can you become neech or know your own lowliness or nothingness.

You may be alluding to people who display outward humility and think that showing humility is enough. As has been said many times before by many people, inward (with regards to action) takes presidence over outwards when aiming to progress with sadhana. Raja Janak was neech even though he was a King.

Neech in my view is equivalent to gyaan. A person cannot be neech through acting with humility. This is a mere good deed. Lowliness is when you are trapped when you cannot do anything when everything every karam you do is filled with pain, each mental movement away from him is pain. Total reliance on him is gyaan of your lowliness, pain is gyaan of your worthlessness and beggarly nature which is dependent mentally on him. But pain is cultivated by sadhana which then becomes anand-mahanand when refined. To know pain of seperation is mahan baksheesh, to reiterate this is gyaan, not a mere punya, action, good action of being humble and cleaning someones shoes or something. But there is danger, big danger, first outward humility must be with also thirst for knowledge. Without thirst for knowledge you are just a slave of the senses you are not nath.

Dear all and Mekhane'ch Jannat Jee!

Thanks for your post.

Quote "Neech in my view is equivalent to gyaan."

Please ponder. Gurdev is singing

"bin simran hai aatam ghaatee."

Without Simran is committing suicide.

"saakat neech tis kul nahee jaatee." SGGS Ang 239-7 Guru Arjan Dev Jee

Saakat is neech. He has no Kul nor Jaatee.

Gurdev has clearly explained who is a neech.

I am not sure if Guru NAnak Dev Jee is seeking the company of such 'neech' people.

Balbir Singh

Dear all and Mit Jee!

Quote "what does it mean if you see guruji in your dreams, it is auspicious, but what is the actual meaning of the dream "

We all know what dreams are. It is all right if one sees Guru Jee in dreams.

It would be great when all dreams may be over. Guru Jee awakens one. God is with him during all activities.

Balbir Singh