Sutha Shahi Dharmsala visit

This morning entriely by chance I found a very old suthra shahi 'dharamsala'. What was doubly interesting is that it comes under 'Bada Akhara Udasin' yet the two Udasis on the front of the board were 'Shah's', one termed such and such 'Suthra Fakir'. They looked distinctly different from other Udasis in their dress. The complex itself was very small, the mahant wasn't there...the central shrine actually looked like it had been made out of an older structure (the first floor was the standard squat smadh type shrine, with a newer broken bits of marble standard mandir extending up on the second floor). Inside was the common shivling mandir you see in Bada Panchayat Akhara Udasin ashrams. the iconography seemed to be the usual shaivite images, but with a gugga peer leaning with images of a naga on the shrine itself and around the complex (not something I've seen that often). Obviously this is a very old traditional symbol in punjab that you find on everything from akharas to phulkaris. They had the dhuan and a trisul sticking out. I intend to go back and talk to the mahant if I get chance...but the main thing is they are still around, although clearly having put their lot in with the Bada Panchayat Udasin Akhara.

How were they dressed, well going by the photos of them, more gaudy, different colours for one, for the other, a white chola (white cholas not an udasi thing that much) with dreads tied up in a red kind of patka, but with one long one hanging down over his chest. Malas. It doesn;t sound that different, but it is.

Sangat, well when I say this place was small I mean pint sized. Width of the place was no bigger than a shop front. You could probably fit 50 people in the place if they squeezed in. While I was there, there was an elderly bibi in the mandir with a rudraksh mala in a kamandali doing mantr, a coulpe of hindu blokes going into the mandir, one doing surya namaskar. That was it.

• 2 weeks later...