Images of Shiva

Freed

I don't know if this is the right place to ask but does anyone have any images of Shiva or other Indic Gods with beards ?

I have been looking for images with beards - is there any reason or tradition as to why most are depicted without beards ?

Most images of Shiva follow this pattern ;

copyofdsc01253rq9.jpg

This shows a Trident with Shiva as 'Ardhanari' - half man half woman

(A bronze from the Chola period 1000-1100 (South India))

*From the collection of the Cleveland Museum of Art, Ohio.

The only image I have been able to find is this Bronze Mask of Lord Shiva , discovered during the reign of M. Ranjit Singh by General Court at Peshawar in 1834. It dates from the 5th century and is now in the collection of the Bibliotheque nationale Paris , having been given to the French King by General Allard.

Lord Shiva is shown with a full beard.

dsc02577ir0.jpg

* taken from Maharaja Ranjit Singh, Lord of The Five Rivers - Jean Marie Lafont - OUP 2002

Does anyone have any other images of Shiva with a beard ?

I would be really grateful if you could post them

Many Thanks

Freed

Neo - the thing is that the Sikh Sangat thread is not a joke, the entire community is a joke, since in another generation or so, we will be left with these individuals in charge of institutions where the present day incumbents themselves are short of the necessary qualifications...

...of couse people will say, "waa will ya do to sort it owt?"

But Homer Simpson says: "Weaseling out of things is important to learn. It's what separates us from the animals ... except the weasel"