Treh Gun

jsingh96

Was wondering what sangat thinks of the notion of different sikh sampradaye representing different guna's. I have read in a puratan rehatnama, (will look it up soon), that different types of sikhs represent different gunas.

For example, the bihamgam (nirmale, udasi, sevapanthi's) would be classified as the satoguni, the grisht would be classified as rajoguni, and the nihang/akali would be classified as the tamoguni

My understanding of this is that the bihamgams are satoguni because they deal only with adhyamaticgyan, brahmgian, shaastr, gurbani, etc. That is their duty/job, so anything else is interfering with it (i.e. spouse, work, social responsabilities etc). But their duty is to spread dharma to all others.

The Grisht are rajoguni, in the sense that they live the life of a householder, they work, have kids etc. They support (financially) the bihamgams and the warriors/nihangs/akalis. That is their dharma.

The Nihangs/Akalis/warriors are tamoguni in the sense that they are the destroyers, they deal with war only, shastarvidiya.

I forget which rehatnama this comes from, but will look it up shortly and post the translation section of it here.

What do you guys think? Nowadays there seems to be a great mix between the sampradya, ideologies etc

the DDT Giani from Patiala ( cant think of his name ) who classified bhagati into the three guns. With katthaan tapasya as don by yogis/tapasvi's etc classed as tamoguni and the bhagati marg of Guru Nanak classed as satoguni. Basically, he said that in Kaljug Guru bhagati marg is the most efficient way for mukti.

In general, there is an element of truth to the above due to the differences in lifestyle and % attached to Bhagati, Grihisht and Shakti mindest.

But it cannot be used as a standard to classify, because even within these differentiating groups, the % of Bhagati, Grihisht and Shakti between the 3 groups can vary tremendously based on individuals.

Ultimately we should always look at the individual, rather than 'stereotype'.