Sikh Astrologer

paapiman

This is my last post on this thread. 

First line says "ਸਾਹਾ ਗਣਹਿ ਨ ਕਰਹਿ ਬੀਚਾਰੁ ॥". Guru Nanak starts of by saying: O Pandit, you make calculations (ਗਣਹਿ) to obtain an auspicious date for the wedding (ਸਾਹਾ), but you do not contemplate.
Contemplate what? The answer is: ਸਾਹੇ ਊਪਰਿ ਏਕੰਕਾਰੁ ॥ - that God is above these auspicious days.The one who meets the Guru - ਜਿਸੁ ਗੁਰੁ ਮਿਲੈ, realizes the (real) way (to ascertain auspicious days) - ਸੋਈ ਬਿਧਿ ਜਾਣੈ. How? By following Gurmat, one realizes Gods Will. 

ਝੂਠੁ ਨ ਬੋਲਿ ਪਾਡੇ ਸਚੁ ਕਹੀਐ ॥ - Pandit do not lie, speak the truth. Now it is clear from the context that the lie is about the calculations and auspicious dates. When egotism is removed with Shabd, then one finds his Home. (ਹਉਮੈ ਜਾਇ ਸਬਦਿ ਘਰੁ ਲਹੀਐ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥)

Calculating and counting, the astrologer draws the horoscope. (ਗਣਿ ਗਣਿ ਜੋਤਕੁ ਕਾਂਡੀ ਕੀਨੀ ॥) He studies it and announces it, but he does not understand reality. ( ਪੜੈ ਸੁਣਾਵੈ ਤਤੁ ਨ ਚੀਨੀ ॥ ) The Word of the Guru's Shabad is above all.   Do not speak of anything else (i.e. astrology); it is all just ashes. (ਸਭਸੈ ਊਪਰਿ ਗੁਰ ਸਬਦੁ ਬੀਚਾਰੁ ॥ ਹੋਰ ਕਥਨੀ ਬਦਉ ਨ ਸਗਲੀ ਛਾਰੁ ॥੨॥)

And so on, till we arrive at the tuk I quoted: 

ਗਣਤ ਗਣੀਐ ਸਹਸਾ ਦੁਖੁ ਜੀਐ ॥ਗੁਰ ਕੀ ਸਰਣਿ ਪਵੈ ਸੁਖੁ ਥੀਐ

Astrological calculations about one's future create suspense or sorrow in one's heart; But by seeking the Guru's refuge, one always remains in peace and comfort.

It is crystal clear from the opening line that the Guru addresses a Pandit regarding the calculations he makes to draw a birth chart to eventually fix an auspicious date for the marriage. Guru Sahib tells him that he does not realize that Parmatma is above these; as all days are created by God. The Guru encourages to speak about nothing else than GurShabad (in this context the Guru is referring to the kundlis). And the Guru continues till he says that instead of creating suspense or sorrow in your heart by supposed revelations of your future; instead embrace the Guru and remain in peace and comfort (by living in his Will and accepting Hukam).

Well said as usual SikhKhoj Paji. Shocking that we Sikhs are giving this hocus-pocus the time of day!

The big question is can you change the future with Deb drishti? How many sants were able to predict events 1947 partitions and warned sikhs? How many predicted bluestar? How many 1984 riots ? Hardly any one was able to predict or save innocent lives.

Exactly KD Singh Paji.

Even though easy for chele to claim in hindsight, none of the Sants knew the future ahead (as its fluid).

We Sikhs should at least know basics of our faith - that Bhagats do not get reincarnated

Why let so-called Brahmgiani's insult our Bhagats and the unmatchable bravery of our Panj Piare. 

Our Guru Sahibaan were not Hindu Kings in previous lives and neither were the 4 Sahibzade Hindu Gods in previous lives.

With respect to the cave near Kiratpur Sahib where the allegation is made that all our shaheeds are living there ...

And Paapi rather than giving $100 to a jyotish give it to Sikh children trying to get an education via www.educatepunjab.net

Edited by mrsingh

If Astrology was a real science  then Why so many Hindu kings battles against muslim invaders. Why Scientific britishers took over India and all Astrologers , saints  were unable to predict anything to kings who used to hire best of them. It is not real science.

Bro, you are mixing two concepts together. Astrology can predict future events, but cannot always change them. Whatever God has decided cannot be changed, only God/Brahamgyanis can change that.

Even Germany was very advanced in warfare during world war 2, but they lost. Reason was the stupid decision made by Hitler to invade Russia, not because he lacked in modern technology.

Bhul chuk maaf

We Sikhs should at least know basics of our faith - that Bhagats do not get reincarnated

Why let Brahmgiani's insulting our Bhagats and the unmatchable bravery of our Panj Piare. 

Can you please explain the difference between a Brahamgyani and a Bhagat?

Do you know that all our Bhagats and Panj Pyaray were Brahamgyanis too? Please don't make fun of a Gurbani term.

Bhul chuk maaf

Bro, you are mixing two concepts together. Astrology can predict future events, but cannot always change them. Whatever God has decided cannot be changed, only God/Brahamgyanis can change that.

Even Germany was very advanced in warfare during world war 2, but they lost. Reason was the stupid decision made by Hitler to invade Russia, not because he lacked in modern technology.

Bhul chuk maaf

Germany lost because whole world pounced on them.And Britishers and USA were not far behind in science.It was USA that got atom bomb in 1945 .

On 7/28/2015, 1:35:22, kdsingh80 said:

Germany lost because whole world pounced on them.And Britishers and USA were not far behind in science.It was USA that got atom bomb in 1945 .

Germany made a blunder by invading Russia; and Japan by invading USA. Correct me if I am wrong, even Nazis were close to building an atomic bomb. Anyways, we are going off-topic.

Back to Astrology - predicting future world events, is kind of different from predicting a person's future, by making his birth chart, looking at his palm, feet, etc. To predict the former, one needs a high spiritual state; for latter, astrology is good enough to get close.

Bhul chuk maaf

Edited by paapiman

Well its not integral part of Sikhi certainly not integral from scriptural stand point, maybe from historical stand point there are instances of astrology and also can be part parcel of viygyan aspect of Sikhi.

Most likely, all missionaries will say that Astrology is not a part of Sikhi.

Bhul chuk maaf

Are you trying to say that astrology is part of Sikhi? My ancestors were from pakistan and They never believed in astrology , there was no concept of kundali matching among sikhs. Though they believed in Jaadu tona .Astrology was never part of sikhism 

Are you trying to say that astrology is part of Sikhi? My ancestors were from pakistan and They never believed in astrology , there was no concept of kundali matching among sikhs. Though they believed in Jaadu tona .Astrology was never part of sikhism 

Astrology is just as much part of Sikhi, as modern medical science, Physics, Chemistry, Biology, etc are.

Bhul chuk maaf

Edited by paapiman

Astrology is not needed in sikhi. A person can follow a sikh lifestyle without doing any astrology crap.

You are right.

Daas will request you brother, not to insult this great field of study, which was invented by a Mahapurakh, Rikhi Bhrigu jee Maharaaj. You will be indirectly doing ninda (heinous crime in Sikhi) of a Mahapurakh.

Bhul chuk maaf

You are right.

Daas will request you brother, not to insult this great field of study, which was invented by a Mahapurakh, Rikhi Bhrigu jee Maharaaj. You will be indirectly doing ninda (heinous crime in Sikhi) of a Mahapurakh.

Bhul chuk maaf

what??????? Bro just calm down.  How the hell is it an indirect nindia? I'm calling astrology crap not no rishi.

Bro you are taking this astrology stuff waaaaay to seriously. Put this much effort in you bhagti and maybe you might not need an astrologer.  

what??????? Bro just calm down.  How the hell is it an indirect nindia? I'm calling astrology crap not no rishi.

Bro you are taking this astrology stuff waaaaay to seriously. Put this much effort in you bhagti and maybe you might not need an astrologer.  

Bro, just talk to a Mahapurakh/Gurmukh, when you go to India about Astrology.

Bhul chuk maaf

If you are a Manglik paapiman ji then i recommend you wear lal dhaage on left hand and avoid ghee on Tuesdays.

There is Taksali Singh in Malton who can advice u more on it

Which Singh, guest jee? Can you please give me his details? Daas will greatly appreciate that.

Bhul chuk maaf

Edited by paapiman

That area was mostly populated with Muslim people. Hindus were very few. Babajee told them "very dangerous time is coming. I have taken all the trouble on my head. You make a Gurudwara and a wall around it with an iron gate. At that hard time you all get into it. You well be safe". They did as instructed by Babajee. A few years after Pakistan was created out of India. There were terrible fights between Hindus and Muslims, but they all were safe in that Gurudwara and later on brought to India by military without any loss. Babajee predicted much earlier and saved all.

Unquote [1]

[1] - Sri Nanaksar Stairs to God

The above has more to do with Brahamgyan, rather than Astrology.

Bhul chuk maaf

These are few local  events. on a mass scale none of them were able to save lives O/W why Sikh Kaum was so badly hit