Bhai Desa Singh's Rehatnama was part of a intense discussion on this forum a few weeks ago, about Sri Dasam Granth. This rehatnama was discarded from the discussion on the grounds that it claimed that Bhai Desa Singh wrote:

"at this place once Jassa Singh Kalal used to live"...

I have been reading through the rehitnamas I can find on the net and find in this rehatnama the line, which I have romanised:

"Ta mo Jassa Singh kirpal, bast bhae sukh so bahut kaal" (126)

The footnote says this is a reference to Sultan ul Quam Jassa Singh Ahulwalia.

I'm not too sure about this, as it would be quite absurd that anyone would mistake the name "kalal" simply for the name it is, and the personality to whom the name belonged to. To me, if I were to read it, it would say that it refered to a benevolent Jassa Singh. Also, if there was no doubt that this was a reference to Sultan ul Quam, it wouldn't necessarily mean that the rehatnama was written after Sultan Sahib's death in 1783. It just means that he lived there at one time. So it could have been at more or less any time in Sultan Sahibs' lifetime, even decades before.

Unless I've read it wrong.

If you wish to read it :

https://archive.org/details/RehatnamaBhaiDesaSingh

I have been reading through the rehitnamas I can find on the net and find in this rehatnama the line, which I have romanised:

Just a point. I personally feel romanised Gurmukhi really doesn't help. You should try and type up the original, especially if it is a small extract like the above. 

Just a point. You can do whatever you like to do though. 

Edited by dalsingh101

for some reason  I cannot seem to copy and paste gurmukhi letters across to this forum.

That's very common. I generally use the opportunity to speed up and practice my Gurmukhi typing.  

for some reason  I cannot seem to copy and paste gurmukhi letters across to this forum.

If you don't want to type in Gurmukhi, in future you should take a screen grab and attach it to your post perhaps?

ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤਸਰ ਇਕ ਬੰਗਾ ਅਹੈ। ਨਾਮ ਮੋਰਾਲੀ ਵਾਲਾ ਕਹੈ।

ਤਾਂ ਮੋ ਜੱਸਾ ਸਿੰਘ ਕ੍ਰਿਪਾਲ । ਬਸਤ ਭਏ ਸੁਖ ਸੋਂ ਬਹੁ ਕਾਲ।

ਹਮ ਭੀ ਤਹਿਂ ਕਾਲ ਬਿਤਾਯੋ। ਬਿਰਧ ਭੲੋ ਸਬ ਆਯੂ ਗਵਾਯੋ।

There is a bunga at Amritsar, which is called the one of Morali,

There Jassa Singh Kripal, resided in peace for a long period of time,

I too passed time there, ....

Not sure about the translation of that last line: ਬਿਰਧ ਭੲੋ ਸਬ ਆਯੂ ਗਵਾਯੋ।

When I reached old age...????

Chatanga, it would be interesting to see what is written about this Jassa SIngh Kripal in the footnote of your text?

BTW: the way he is describing a peaceful existence at Amritsar, for long periods of time suggests (to me at least), that the writer is not talking about the hardcore violent period of the early 1700s? 

Edited by dalsingh101

ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤਸਰ ਇਕ ਬੰਗਾ ਅਹੈ। ਨਾਮ ਮੋਰਾਲੀ ਵਾਲਾ ਕਹੈ।

ਤਾਂ ਮੋ ਜੱਸਾ ਸਿੰਘ ਕ੍ਰਿਪਾਲ । ਬਸਤ ਭਏ ਸੁਖ ਸੋਂ ਬਹੁ ਕਾਲ।

ਹਮ ਭੀ ਤਹਿਂ ਕਾਲ ਬਿਤਾਯੋ। ਬਿਰਧ ਭੲੋ ਸਬ ਆਯੂ ਗਵਾਯੋ।

There is a bunga at Amritsar, which is called the one of Morali,

There Jassa Singh Kripal, resided in peace for a long period of time,

I too passed time there, ....

BTW: the way he is describing a peaceful existence at Amritsar, for long periods of time suggests (to me at least), that the writer is not talking about the hardcore violent period of the early 1700s? 

I translated this as "resided in comfort for a long time".

Amritsar was a pretty chaotic place throughout the whole century although there were periods of peace in that century.

Chatanga, it would be interesting to see what is written about this Jassa SIngh Kripal in the footnote of your text?

Have you had a look at the pdf? It says this is a reference to Jassa Singh Kalal.

Not sure about the translation of that last line: ਬਿਰਧ ਭੲੋ ਸਬ ਆਯੂ ਗਵਾਯੋ।

When I reached old age...????

It seems to be saying "where old people passed their lives(unto death)."

I translated this as "resided in comfort for a long time".

Amritsar was a pretty chaotic place throughout the whole century although there were periods of peace in that century.

I can't see that myself until at least the latter part of the 1700s. And he seems to explicitly mention prolonged periods of time.

Have you had a look at the pdf? It says this is a reference to Jassa Singh Kalal.

On what basis? 

It seems to be saying "where old people passed their lives(unto death)."

Again this reflects a period of stability. Amritsar was a hot spot for a lot of the early 1700s. 

Wasn't Amritsar mostly a hot spot after the 1740s when Abdali repeatedly attacked Amritsar?

Remember in 1739, it was occupied and under guard by Massa Runghur. (That's when he was assassinated). 

When did the Sikhs begin to build bunge around Harimandir Sahib? Akal Bunga is the earliest name of Akal thakht.

I just checked Giani Gian Singh's Twarikh Amritsar from the late 1800s. It mentions the names of all the bunge and gives information on each of them. He lists 48 bunge build in the 1700s starting from late 1750s.. He does'nt mention a bunga named Morali..

Maybe the Morali bunga was from the period prior to Abdalis destruction of Harimandir Sahib?

On what basis?

I have no idea, it's just the name written in the footnotes. Maybe the printers of the rehatnama wrote it.

I don't feel it is refering to Sultan ul Quam as I said in my opening post for this topic.

Sometimes poets will change words to fit in the rhyme, but even here it if it was "Kalal", it could have been used just as equally as "Kirpal".

Wasn't Amritsar mostly a hot spot after the 1740s when Abdali repeatedly attacked Amritsar?

It was before as well, but what would be a good topic would be battles around Amritsar in the 18th century.

Edited by chatanga1

Maybe the Morali bunga was from the period prior to Abdalis destruction of Harimandir Sahib?

Or maybe it is a later reference. Late 1700s/early 1800s?

I have no idea, it's just the name written in the footnotes. Maybe the printers of the rehatnama wrote it.

I don't feel it is refering to Sultan ul Quam as I said in my opening post for this topic.

Sometimes poets will change words to fit in the rhyme, but even here it if it was "Kalal", it could have been used just as equally as "Kirpal".

I agree, right now I think it is a tenuous link to Jassa Singh Kalal. Unless we start finding early references calling him 'Kripal'. 

It looks like Kripal to me BTW, not kirpal

What you mean

Just that it might well be referring to a later period than the crazy early 1700s. 

But your guess is as good as mine. Identifying the Morali bunga would help. 

I would guess the Bhai Desa Singh is more likely to have been written in the 1730s-1750s. Not the early 1700s.

Seriously, so you think it refers to the period where Harmandir Sahib was actually under occupation and when many Singhs had left Panjab (as per Rattan Bhangu)?

I just can't imagine some old folk chilling in the bunga in the middle of an all out state effort to eliminate their people. 

Don't make sense.

Broadly speaking, the Panjab was red-hot during the Banda period (up till 1716), I reckon there might have been a  little lull in state activities for a short period after his execution as the state might have felt that they had proved their point. By now they'd also know that they had to keep a close eye on Panjab too. 

Then what we do know is that by 1739, the situation had deteriorated to the extent that many Singhs felt compelled to leave Panjab and seek employment elsewhere (hence Mehtab SIngh being where he was). We also know that in the few years before this kesh was something that attracted violent state reprisals (hence Sukha Singh's parents feeling compelled to drug him up and cut his hair off). We also know that bounty hunters were roaming around looking for Singhs around then too. We know Sikhs had to covertly do isnaan at Harmandir Sahib then too (usually at night).

To me personally, I can't imagine budhay comfortably chilling and learning in a bunga during all of this. The period was way too unstable.

But again remember, that is just a personal opinion and none of us can say for 100% certain.

But like I said, that "all out state effort" did'n last for 20-30 years. There were some periods where it was intense and then many years where there was some sort of relative peace. Im not familiar with the passages in Pracheen Panth Prakash that state that Sikhs left punjab - can you insert here?

The bungas were'nt only places of learning .For the most part they were lodging houses that housed the pilgrims who came from near and far.

But like I said, that "all out state effort" did'n last for 20-30 years. There were some periods where it was intense and then many years where there was some sort of relative peace. Im not familiar with the passages in Pracheen Panth Prakash that state that Sikhs left punjab - can you insert here?

The bungas were'nt only places of learning .For the most part they were lodging houses that housed the pilgrims who came from near and far.

You should read that second volume of Panth Prakash Trans. Kulwant Singh. It will really open your eyes. The bit you want is in there, I haven't got time to hunt it out, especially since I've only got a pdf copy and not a printed one. 

About the rehat, be careful about (even subconsciously) forcing a date on the work to fit a theory. 

Edited by dalsingh101