38 minutes ago, dalsingh101 said:

@chatanga1

Can you also post the footnotes to any text that you post up, they usually contain important information. 

Also that last line seems clipped. Is the second word ਸਤ or ਸੁਤ??

it is sut. ਸੁਤ .

the footnotes in the Granth only tell of word differences between the different recensions.

1 hour ago, chatanga1 said:

it is sut. ਸੁਤ .

the footnotes in the Granth only tell of word differences between the different recensions.

That's still important stuff. A lot could be learned from that in itself. 

In my family we use the word ਹ'ਰਖਤ meaning 'always' or 'every'

as in:

ਹ'ਰਖਤ ਵਾਰ ਉਥੇ ਜਾਂਦਾ ਸੀ । 

He used to go there every time. 

Could it be that? 

Let's put all the text in one place:

mata kaula.jpg

This text is no joke to translate!

I made a mistake above.  Guru Teg Bahadur ji's name should not have been included in the list of the four sons of Guru Hargobind ji who met Mata Kaulan.  Guru Teg Bahadur ji was born after the arrival of Mata Kaulan to the Guru's house. As a result, the fourth son of Guru ji, at that time, must have been Baba Atal Rai ji.  In fact, Baba Atal Rai ji is referenced in verse 693.

Waheguru ji ka Khalsa, Waheguru ji ki Fateh

2 hours ago, IJJSingh said:

In Punjabi, ਹਰਖ means happiness or joy.  ਹਰਖਤ = joy

So the line can be translated as:

The three blessed mehal [the three wives of the Guru: Mata Damodri, Mata Nanaki and Mata Maha Devi] of the Guru, Kaulan fell at their feet

In joy, [Kaulan] congratulated everybody, and they showed her great respect and affection

Good job brother.

Bhul chuk maaf

On 15/04/2016 at 5:27 PM, dalsingh101 said:

Let's put all the text in one place:

mata kaula.jpg

I'll give it a try from 690,

Chaupai

Mata Kaulan gave a lot of respect to Mata Ganga ji, making her pleased she(Mata Kaulan) became happy

Three fortunate wives of Guru Hargobind, whose feet she touched again and again. (690)

With great happiness she congratulated all, and gave great respect to all of them,

Finding 4 sons and 1 daughter of the Guru, Kaulan became very pleased in her mind (691)

Dohra

Great joy she had in her mind, and with happiness she said,

"May you, 4 piercingly beautiful, live very very long. (692)

Chaupai

She greatly attached her heart to them, seeing their (the children) beauty she became fixated.

The beauty of Baba Atal is striking, (unclear, something about great attraction of Baba ji).(693)

The shine of his soft body cannot be described, Kaulan became very joyous looking at him.

In her own mind she put in place a great hope, " regretfully i don't have any son" (694)

Bhul chuk maaf

Good to see people chipping in to translate!

@chatanga1

What does the next section of the text say?

Given what I've read above, I guessing the controversy may be about Guru Hargobind 'giving' Kaula a child or something like that??

On 17/04/2016 at 6:00 PM, dalsingh101 said:

@chatanga1

Given what I've read above, I guessing the controversy may be about Guru Hargobind 'giving' Kaula a child or something like that??

Let the mystery unravel. I think part of the controversy was that Guru Sahib brought Kaulan from her house in the night, secretly on the back of his horse. Detractors's say it's makes it seems like a story from Panjabi romantic follklore.

On 17/04/2016 at 2:50 PM, Jatro said:

I'll give it a try from 690,

She greatly attached her heart to them, seeing their (the children) beauty she became fixated.

The beauty of Baba Atal is striking, (unclear, something about great attraction of Baba ji).(693)

Bro that is a great effort. I asked a Gyani about this text and he made some things clearer. What you have said is confirmed by him.

The line where you weren't sure (693) I think reads as:

The beauty of Baba Atal is striking, the young body enchanting both body and mind.

Will get it confirmed soon as I can though.

On 13/04/2016 at 9:18 PM, chatanga1 said:

Ok so I will attempt to translate the first verse of the screenshot:

Chaupai:

The Mother is unlimited in faith and charity. Everyone's minds have become full of bliss.

I have kept her praises in mind. Forgive the poet for the mistakes. 687

Here the story of a girl's love is told. Listen to the story of Mata Kaulan.

About Mata Kaulan I have heard. Mata Nanki took her as her child. 688

I was a little confused about the "Upjayo" as it means created as well. But the sakhi in whole talks about Mata Kaulan's love for Guru Sahib and her being accepted by the Guru's family given the circumstances in which she arrived at Amritsar.

Any ideas or changes to the above?

OK, I got 688 seriously wrong. It's not " Here the story of a girl's love is told..."

This part should read " The story of the Three Mothers and the girl is told".

21 hours ago, chatanga1 said:

Slide1.JPGSlide2.JPG

Dude, if you've taken the trouble to put all this up, it doesn't make sense to omit the footnotes. 

On 4/25/2016 at 9:48 PM, chatanga1 said:

Slide1.JPGSlide2.JPG

DOHRA

After touching everyone's feet and with great thought in her mind,

And saying greetings to all, she(Kaulan) came to her home (695)

SAWAIYYA

She had this though in her mind, "Guru has left me( or will not accept me) because he thinks i'm impure",

"She became attached to the turk's house", thus the Guru may have thought [not 100% sure of my translation here]

Person who doesn't have a son suffers great hardship under childlessness,

Without 'bhog' there can be no son, death is better than a life of such childlessness. (696)

[Sorry but a bit uncomfortable putting down next two lines explicitly so will just hint, Kaulan is wondering how Guru ji had 4 sons]

She had different thoughts in her mind, "i will either get a son or destroy my body,

Such sadness she had, in great thinking she spent her time (697)

At night she had great sadness, a few minutes feel like ages(time does not pass)

She was in a bad condition for the whole night, the sadness of separation she had in her heart,

She did not tell of her predicament to anyone (neither the female servants nor anyone else)

"No one else can cut my sorrows, come O Prabhu only you can destroy them." (698)

DOHRA

Kaulan remained in the fire of separation, she could not control herself,

Bhagat Singh says (or O Bhagat Singh), "Listen to the infinite katha of the Guru"(699)

SAWAIYYA 

In the morning the Guru bathes and does 'nit nem' and goes to the court and sings the Vaar,

He does path of Sukhmani and other banis and gives darshan at the (Akal?) Takht.[almost sure this verse is about the Guru, but not fully sure]

That day there was a large gathering, due to the Maghi mela Sikhs had come,

With great joy the lord destroys the problems of his followers(700)

CHHAPAI

Concentrate on the lord, do path and don't talk of other stuff,

{not clear, something about refraining from other useless tasks}.

The lord listened to the Vaar and came on the Takht

He concentrated his mind on the path of Sukhmani.

When half the day had gone by and 8 Ashtapadis of the path had finished,

Kaulan, due to suffering of separation, got pulled(to the place where the Guru was?) due to great love in her mind.

[Sorry but a bit uncomfortable putting down next two lines explicitly so will just hint, Kaulan is wondering how Guru ji had 4 sons]

Brother, you need to get over this coyness.

There is no need for it. 

The text is talking about sex, a topic that seems to terrify too many apnay. Kaula is saying: "If Guru ji never had sex (bhog), then how could they have had 4 sons.

One word that turns up a few times in the text that I'm struggling with is: ਸਸਿ

Normally it means moon, but what does it mean here?