Sri Lanka Suitation

SAadmin

Ok this thread goes to all the social-activist out there.. !

As everyone is aware of sad situation in Sri Lanka where human rights abuse is being committed every step of the way from government officials. Human rights watch group calling this genocide. This reminds of human rights abuses in Punjab back in 1980's. There is huge protest in toronto where i live, where yesterday close to 2000 tamils blocked the main freeway/highway going to toronto downtown.

Here is the new story: http://www.cbc.ca/canada/story/2009/05/11/...ront051109.html

So far responses from public is extremely negative, some of them accuse them using children on strollers as human shield to do protest. It just show normal joe blow mid western people living in Canada really don't give two hoots against human right abuse(typical selfish human reaction), they will never understand how is it living in third war countries where you don't know if you be seeing your loved ones when you come back home from work. The responses has been extremely negative(quite expected from mid western ignorant people( since its not their cause, or cause little inconvenience when they are pursue their daily chores and get stuck in traffic.

Now just because response is quite negative from public, neutral response from govt, you think this should still continue on? I think we can learn quite a bit from them for any kind future protest sikhs may need to hold?

I don't think tamil protesters is there to please any public or impress Canadian govt for their cause, their tactic is to cause so much nuisance and inconvenience in regular joe blow Canadian every day living in Toronto that gov't is forced to do something, truly not positive way to impress people for their cause but this method is turning to be quite effective...think about it, Canadian govt officials or any gov't abroad really don't care about minorities and give few millions in aid just to keep their status high in world democracy and for minority votes in next election so there is no point begging people to show them they are victimized where no one really truly cares, everyone cares for their own self interest. But when you cause soo nuisance and inconveince people's daily life and @$%^ really hits the fan.

what you guys think?

Right now the entire Tamil Tiger leadership is on the verge of elimination. The only thing preventing the Sri Lankan army from taking them out are the civilians stuck in the Tamil Tiger zone. Basically the situation for the Tamil Tigers is very similar to the situation of the Sikh militants during 92-93 in which the entire Sikh militant leadership and movement was wiped out to the last man by the Punjab Police with a lot of force and brutality. Sikhs felt completely hopeless and helpless at that time. I think that Tamils feel similar to that right now. It's not a pleasent feeling to have.

There is some terrorist elements in tamil tigers organization just like there were some terrorist elements in sikh militant organizations and obviously terrorist elements in state gov't of third war countries but in civil suits. No one should be denying that, but overall in terms of peaceful protest in Toronto taking whole new turn to new tactic of causing nuisance and inconvenience in people's life which force Canadian gov't to do something in this even if they don't want to.?? I think its pretty smart than simply violent reactions in protest like burning effigies, throwing stones at police/embassies etc?

Govts won't do anything or come under the influence of these protest. There is a Tamil man opposite Houses of Parliament, that has nearly starved himslef to death, not ot mention the numerous protests in Central London.

At the end of the day, if the biggest protests in history (in the UK) and many other countries, to stop UK/US going to war in Iraq didn't stop the Govts, what chance have these poor tiny minorities got.

Its sad and hurtful, esp as Tamils are such an excellent community (in my opinion - I live in a heavily populated Tamil area).

All they can do is what they are capable of - reflect their anguish - and at least enlighten the world to the SL Govts cruelty and inspire budding journalists to go into the field and write about what they see, in order to document the cruelty for future records...

I feel very sorry for the tamil people, as Sikhs we can truly relate to the situation yet ironically due to the Sikh PM of India many tamils are feeling quite some negativity towards Sikhs at the moment due to their views on India's involvement. I have actually been middle fingered on one or two occasions by tamils driving off in cars while walking. Its a shame there aren't many large Sikh organisations who can express solidarity on behalf of the sikh community.

Silence, as far as I'm aware the current Indian government led by Manmohan Singh does not have anything to do with the Tamils rebels or the Sinhalese government of Sri Lanka. Manmohan Singh has actually asked for the Sri Lankan government to look after the safety of the Tamal civilians. What many people don't know is, it is Pakistan which is not only training but also providing weapons to the Sinhalese government in combating the Tamil Tigers. How do you think the Tigers are losing ground all of a sudden? It is Pakistan's involvement not India's that the Tamals need to feel angry towards. Pakistan is circling India with countries such as Bangladesh, Sri Lanka and now even Nepal.

Silence, as far as I'm aware the current Indian government led by Manmohan Singh does not have anything to do with the Tamils rebels or the Sinhalese government of Sri Lanka. Manmohan Singh has actually asked for the Sri Lankan government to look after the safety of the Tamal civilians. What many people don't know is, it is Pakistan which is not only training but also providing weapons to the Sinhalese government in combating the Tamil Tigers. How do you think the Tigers are losing ground all of a sudden? It is Pakistan's involvement not India's that the Tamals need to feel angry towards. Pakistan is circling India with countries such as Bangladesh, Sri Lanka and now even Nepal.

Do you have any evidence for this?

K.

Do you have any evidence for this?

K.

PM Manmohan Singh's gov asking Sri Lanka to stop the killing:

http://www.thaindian.com/newsportal/uncate..._100183306.html

As for Pakistan's involvement in this war:

http://www.defence.pk/forums/world-affairs...-sri-lanka.html

Online on youtube, Pakistani defence commentator Hamid Zaid goes more into detail how Pakistan is involved in helping the Sinhalese defeat the Tamils. Pakistanis make no secret of this, in fact they seem quite proud of it.