Which Is Higher?

Naam and Bani are interlinked, bani is FILLED to the brim with naam. Naam cannot be without gurbani as gurbani is the guru, and only the guru can make you jap naam. The purpose of bani is to inspire us to jap NAAM. See what you can infer from this.

Gurmat naam mera praan sakhayee, har keerat hamri rehraas. I believe the answer is in here, lets do ardas to maharaj for understanding of this.

please forgive me, i can only talk about naam not do it myself, and i probably even get this wrong too

In this darkest and most terrible age.... Kirtan is the highest form.

At the most subtle level - reading bani, kirtan and simran are one and the same - they lead to the same realisation and experience - best is when all 3 are utilised - as they perfectly compliment and enhance each other... utlimately they cause realisation of the truth. One can be doing simran when doing kirtan, one can be doing kirtan when reading bani and one can be 'realising' bani when doing simran!

Basically, pack as many guns as you can in this dreaded war!

Gurparsad is the highest,

My limited understanding is:

Gurbani-sidhaant, establishing maryada

Kirtan-create prem-bhagati bhav

Simran-increase dhyaan

Could we get the knowlede/wisdom of Tsingh on this one?

drawoF Ji,

Gurprasad is not a form of bhagti (which is what is being discussed).

There are 9 forms of bhagti as per the Bhagavata Purana (Prahlada) which Gurbani mentions as ਭਗਤਿ ਨਵੈ ਪਰਕਾਰਾ ॥ :

(1) Shravan (hearing the praises)

(2)Kirtan (singing the praises)

(3)Smarna (remembering the form and the name)

(4)Pada sevana(service of the feet)

(5)Archana (worship)

(6)Dasya (service)

(7)Sakhya (friendship)

(8)Vandana (bowing)

(9)Atna-nivedan (surrendering)

Shaheediyan,

You are absolutely right in that gurparsad is not bhagti. I should have been more clear. I meant to say that the grace of god is the highest, and all bhagti is meant to take us to that state of smaadhi/dhyaan where our mind does not get unsettled and stays in guru's charan....at that point, the union occurs with the grace of the guru.

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa..Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh............

I agree with Silence and Shaeediyan...they are absolutely right.........

Your question is interlinked ...but ultimate destiny is NAAM........Naam is given only and only by true Guru..here I mean....Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji...

Start reading Baani, then understanding it (listen to Katha of all baani's...if possible read Steeks)...then start following it......yes you need a meditation to do that...but try to concentrate while reading baani...think in mind the meanings of Baani while reading, reciting, and listening. Think that Guru Ji is listening when you are reading, reciting, and listening the baani along with you....This helps in controlling mind....but its really difficult and even I could not able to do it all time....mind needs a fraction of seconds to roam places other than baani..when trying to concentrate.......but never give up....one day Guru Ji will make it happen.....and gradually you will cover the path and ultimately Naam Daan will be given by Guru Ji........

This is what I heard during katha veechar................

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa.......Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh.......

Naam was received by many before the advent of Sikhi i.e. Baba Sheikh Farid. Naam is ultimately given from the one - who is Aad Sach, Jugaad Sach, Ha Bhi Sach and Hosi Bhi Sach. For those who follow the Sikh Marg - the teachings of the Ishta Dev - Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji Maharaj - guide us to the realisation of the truth - from whence Gur-Prasad is attained.