Memorsing Gurbani

According to Taksal and Dal Panth - very important.

That is why the minimum requirement for being part of the Panj Pyare is know NITNEM by memory.

Ultimately we should know as banian as possible from memory - it makes life easier and makes you alot more flexible in difficult times.

It also allows yuo to recite bani whilst you are going about your daily business.

A good example from experience is when my Grandfather died in hospital a few years ago, as per tradition, a Singh should recite Sohila upon a Sikhs death - which is what I did.

memorising Gurbani is extremely important. The minimum a Sikh should have memorised is the Nitnem. From there the next step should be to memorise the Panj Granthi. A Sikh should be an excellent Paathi, so one should also take santhiya from a learned Gursikh. Once you take Santhiya, volunteer to take part in Akhand Paaths at the local Gurdwara. Bhai Kahn Singh Nabha was just a mere child of 7-9 yrs old when he started doing Rauls during Akhand Paaths. Same thing with Prof Sahib Singh. If you read the jeevanis of Sants associated with Taksal, they also started off by memorising Gurbani and being excellent paathis from their childhood. So memorising Gurbani plus being a good Paathi is a must for a Sikh.

what are some good techniques for memorizing bani.

Yes i would like to know that as well. My brain is quite disable when it comes to memorize nitneem banis. It's very hard for me. I have memorized one or two line tukhs from gurbani when i try to memorize more that that and recite it, i always tend to make an error reciting it and end up mixing up gurbani from one area from sri guru granth sahib ji to another.

Need sangat well wishes and assistance?

From my experience you have to memorise it systematically. First select a Bani you want to memorise. Then read it every day. Once your speed for reading it becomes fast, then read it 2-3 times a day. That is the method I use. Some people memorise one Pauri per day by repeating it all day long while at home or at work. Alot of people have their own methods to memorise Bani. Experiment and see what method suits you.

i know some pauri's of japji shabib and rehars shaib but when i close my eyes to read rehras shaib i get some pauris mixed up with japji shaib.

i once heard a katha which said there was a singh who was reading gurbani wrong it was like breaking guru's angs. guru ji had some one slap the singh and stop him.

thus i have stopped memorizing gurbani from the fear that i will make a mistake.

should i continue and hope that i will get it right one day.

i know some pauri's of japji shabib and rehars shaib but when i close my eyes to read rehras shaib i get some pauris mixed up with japji shaib.

i once heard a katha which said there was a singh who was reading gurbani wrong it was like breaking guru's angs. guru ji had some one slap the singh and stop him.

thus i have stopped memorizing gurbani from the fear that i will make a mistake.

according to the sakhi, the singh was near the middle of a long bani, (dakhni onkar??). that is a bani that's fairly complex, the singh must have had santhya done already. judging by the fact that he made a mistake in the middle, it seems like he probably got lazy, knew better, but made the mistake out of laziness (hence the slap). I don't think guru ji would slap anyone who is trying to learn and making sincere efforts. don't worry, sometimes kathakars mix up this sakhi.

• 14 years later...