Panjab Digital Libary

ishvar2

Please check it out and support if you can.

http://www.panjabdigilib.org/webuser/searches/mainpage.jsp

Revealing the Invisible Heritage of Panjab

For the first time ever a searchable collection of millions of rare pages on the Sikhs and the region of Panjab has been made available. Panjab Digital Library (PDL) will include texts of manuscripts, books, magazines, newspapers and photographs and will be available to anyone with Internet access at www.PanjabDigiLib.org. This launch was made possible in part by The Nanakshahi Trust and the Sikh Research Institute (SikhRI).

PDL has been in development since 2003, charged with a mission to select, collect, preserve, digitize and make accessible the accumulated wisdom of Panjab. Texts were included without distinction as to script, language, religion, nationality, or other human condition.

“Since long, preservation of heritage, research and education have been a victim of apathy in Panjab; more so, in the last century. With the launch of the online digital library, we have tried to fill some of that gap. PDL is a humble offering to the community what it lost 25 years ago,” said Harinder Singh, co-founder and executive director of SikhRI who also serves on PDL board. “Scholars will be able to access a wide variety of information concealed in the manuscripts and other literature of the region with the cli ck of a mouse sitting in the comfort of their homes. This is essential to the growth of Sikh and Panjab studies and its meaningful representation in the fast-changing modern world.”

Digitization technology brings with it untold benefits for heritage preservation and access. Once a document has been properly digitized it becomes immortal and can remain accessible long after the original has ceased to exist. The option of digital access further aids in preservation of originals through reduced need for physical handling. The central digital archive which the PDL has developed over the last six years allows for wide electronic access to the public and will help the researcher to search, browse and sift through vast amounts of data in seconds.

According to Davinder Pal Singh, PDL’s co-founder and executive director, “PDL will break many barriers which currently restrict a conventional library. Information is decentralized, through its shared storage and access model, thus enabling utilization of a single resource concurrently by multiple users all over the world. On a local note, assuming that every household will possibly have a computer within the next ten years, PDL holds great promises for the people of Panjab especially.”

“To date, PDL has been instrumental in digitally preserving over 2.5 million folios from 3,400 manuscripts, 2,200 books, 1,990 issues of periodicals, 5,578 issues of newspapers, 3,152 photographs, 248,000 legal documents and some 168 hours of video recordings,” commented Gurvinder Singh, PDL’s US Coordinator. The current collection of data amounts to about 15,000 GB of available information.

Among others, major institutional collections digitized to date include SGPC, DSGMC, Government Museum and Art Gallery Chandigarh, Chief Khalsa Diwan, Panjab Languages Department, and Kurukshetra University . Critical works of significant importance from the personal collections of Prof. Pritam Singh, Dr. Man Singh Nirankari, Dr. Kirpal Singh, Dr. Madanjit Kaur and Prof. Gurtej Singh are also available at PDL.

"PDL is the only non-profit, non-governmental organization to have initiated a digitization project for the preservation and upkeep of Panjab archives, and perhaps the only one in India ” said Gurnihal Singh Pirzada Director, PDL’s board member. “PDL has undertaken rigorous research and laid solid ground work in order to be in the best possible position for this launch. Projects around the globe were closely studied as models for establishing a successful digitization project. Internationally recognized benchmarks were referred to and complied with,” he further said.

PDL is an ongoing project in its early stages and the collection will grow substantially in coming years. New titles are being digitized everyday and the Web site will be updated with new features and titles on monthly basis. PDL staff will be adding at least 50,000 pages per week to the Web site’s collection.

Contact Person: Gurvinder Singh

gurvinder.singh@panjabdigilib.org | 210.704.7096

Edited by ishvar2

True, it's a beta version so I am hoping they improve the search functionality.

If you have suggestions/knowledge on how to improve it please contact them Veer ji.

'The Beta version of PDL has been launched for an initial period of six months. After this time expires we will review its strengths, weaknesses, drawbacks, positive & negative effects and yes, threats. After this review, a decision as to the most productive future course for PDL will be made. If necessary, some changes will be made in its code and the way users are allowed to access, save and print digital files.'

I did a special search for Ganda Singh books and a few returned (all stubs). If this thing is done properly it could be phenomenal as an aid in linguistics, history and even theology. The data mining potential is good. But, It would require massive storage and bandwidth which I haven't seen in any project in India.

Edited by dalsingh101

One thing that India does not lack is the IT expertise to make this an excellent resource. I know as I've worked with a highly literate generation here in the UK.

However, this venture is not government funded so I feel that money is the main obstacle in delivering such a solution at least on the web. All the more reason we should find out more/help practically or donate to make it happen.

Despite this I am impressed that someone has taken the initiative to do this.

Edited by ishvar2

Those guys from back home are s**t hot when it comes to ICT. My cousin was an example. He's in Canada now.

You are right, funding is the big issue. Where are all those Sikh millionaires when you need them? I think once they get a good working version up, people will donate. There are so many old books I would love to read!

We need everything scanned. Esp Guru hath likhat stuff. I once donated to some money for a project claiming to digitise granths but nothing came of it.

I hope this doesn't turn out similar. However I am in awe at the idea.

Edited by dalsingh101

http://www.sikhsangat.com/index.php/topic/...ibs-signatures/

Notorious organisation SikhRi has recently announced the launch of its new 'business' under the name of Punjab Digital Library...I call it business because its nothing more than a business. The documents etc are not accessible unless one has a paid subscription...And they are selling this new launch under the name of 'seva' etc....they have, of course, collected material from scores of private collectors and now they want to cash on that collection.

This topic apart, while browsing through their shop I came across Guru Gobind Singh Sahib's signatures which they are selling for 20 USD....And very meticulously they have distorted the signatures by removing the 'siri sahib' from top of the signatures....

Do they have the right to change Guru Sahib's signatures? In most of the hukanmamas Guru Sahib made a small Siri Sahib on top of "Ik Onkar Satguru Prasad"...and this embodies the concept of Sant-Sipahi.

By engaging in such a blasphemy does SikhRI want to redefine Sikh ethos or they would instead be humble enough to accept another fault and apologise. Here is the picture of the distorted signatures http://www.nanakshah...b2fb88a4ec9aa3a Here are some pics of Guru Sahib's hukamnams..scroll down to see the one in its original form which SikhRI/PDL has distorted. http://patshahi10.or...erhs&Itemid=106

Try registering for free. At the moment you can access all the pages of stuff posted on there if you do this.

Yes. it looks like premium membership will cost (and I don't know what extra privilages you get) but I do not understand the running costs of such an operation nor the business model. As I said before it is in beta stage at the moment.

If they are running it as non-profit i.e. to cover the costs of operations, staff, future scaling up of digitisation projects etc then great.

If not then it is a cause for concern but be glad it's available albiet not in the 'free' form we want.

The reality is that these things do not occur without money but I agree with the gurmat concept of not making money out of Gurbani - of which a lot of the content is.

For me the business model is the thing that needs to be understood.

About the shop - I don't agree with selling such things and the distortion is indeed wrong. I suggest writing to them to point their errors.

They are not running anything free. they are making money out of it. it is a notorious sikh organization SIKHRI from uSA and they have changed many concepts of sikhism in school syallabus they supply to khalsa schools. Recently they were kicked out of biggest Gurudwara Fremont of uSA.

Read below

http://www.sikhsangat.com/index.php/topic/...ibs-signatures/

Notorious organisation SikhRi has recently announced the launch of its new 'business' under the name of Punjab Digital Library...I call it business because its nothing more than a business. The documents etc are not accessible unless one has a paid subscription...And they are selling this new launch under the name of 'seva' etc....they have, of course, collected material from scores of private collectors and now they want to cash on that collection.

This topic apart, while browsing through their shop I came across Guru Gobind Singh Sahib's signatures which they are selling for 20 USD....And very meticulously they have distorted the signatures by removing the 'siri sahib' from top of the signatures....

Do they have the right to change Guru Sahib's signatures? In most of the hukanmamas Guru Sahib made a small Siri Sahib on top of "Ik Onkar Satguru Prasad"...and this embodies the concept of Sant-Sipahi.

By engaging in such a blasphemy does SikhRI want to redefine Sikh ethos or they would instead be humble enough to accept another fault and apologise. Here is the picture of the distorted signatures http://www.nanakshah...b2fb88a4ec9aa3a Here are some pics of Guru Sahib's hukamnams..scroll down to see the one in its original form which SikhRI/PDL has distorted. http://patshahi10.or...erhs&Itemid=106

Singh2 Ji,

Thanks I read your previous post.

'They are not running anything free. they are making money out of it.'

Why don't you try and register for free and see what happens?! I may be wrong later but right now I can access a lot and no money has exchanged hands.

ishver2 ji

My point was to highligt that

The organization is engaged in commercial activities and their aim is to make money. They are not doing it for love of sikhi.

They are notorious in USA for subverting some sikh concepts.

They are altering the writings. Once they do that the essence of preservation is dead.

The point about not making money from bani. Isn't this happening everytime we buy a translation or steek?

The site seems to have lots of history related items not just Gurbani. I hope this is not a money making scam but I would pay a little to access a wide range of material for research. I mean we pay for books anyway. Having loads at easy access would be cool.

Singh2. I love the way you just have to see negative in this.

Singh2

Can you nopt post images of the two versions? Some of your links do not seem to be working.

Singh2

Can you nopt post images of the two versions? Some of your links do not seem to be working.

http://sikhsangat.org/2009/08/distortion-o...igital-library/

Distortion Of Guru Sahib’s Signatures; SikhRI’s new business Punjab Digital Library

Published on Friday, August 21, 2009 by admin

Notorious organization SikhRi has recently announced the launch of its new ‘business’ under the name of Punjab Digital Library…I call it business because its nothing more than a business. The documents etc are not accessible unless one has a paid subscription…And they are selling this new launch under the name of ’seva’ etc….they have, of course, collected material from scores of private collectors and now they want to cash on that collection.

This topic apart, while browsing through their shop I came across Guru Gobind Singh Sahib’s signatures which they are selling for 20 USD….And very meticulously they have distorted the signatures by removing the ’siri sahib’ from top of the signatures….

Do they have the right to change Guru Sahib’s signatures? In most of the hukanmamas Guru Sahib made a small Siri Sahib on top of “Ik Onkar Satguru Prasad”…and this embodies the concept of Sant-Sipahi.

By engaging in such a blasphemy does SikhRI want to redefine Sikh ethos or they would instead be humble enough to accept another fault and apologise. Here is the picture of the distorted signatures http://www.nanakshah…b2fb88a4ec9aa3a Here are some pics of Guru Sahib’s hukamnams..scroll down to see the one in its original form which SikhRI/PDL has distorted. http://patshahi10.or…erhs&Itemid=106

Original Guru Sahibs Signature

real sig

Distorted edited fake signature on sale by SikhRI

Discussion

Post to Twitter Post to Yahoo Buzz Post to Delicious Post to Facebook Post to MySpace

Tags: fateh camppanjabdigilib.orgpunjab digital librarysikhriwww.panjabdigilib.org

• 2 weeks later...

Guru sahib's signature on the item in question has now been rectified.

Please see here:

http://www.nanakshahi.org/panjabdigilib/product_info.php?products_id=42&osCsid=d77bd334fe7d711eb8aebd84da321928

I have been in touch with PDL about this, and while I may not agree will the selling of such items I am happy it has been corrected.

Edited by ishvar2

To run any organisation professionally costs money and time.

Having to subscribe to view these preserved treasures is not a big deal. It will simply fund more research and preservation of rare manuscripts.

I haven't seen anyone else make this effort.

Our people are simply excellent at cutting their nose to spite their face.

Apologies, I missed this thread and posted details of this library elsewhere.