Naraayan And Naaraayan - What Is The Difference?

The name Narayana is a Sanskrit tatpurusha compound, with the members nāra, which means "human, mortal", and āyana "coming, approaching", from the root i which expresses movement. Tradition associates the nāra element with another meaning of "water", explaining the name as indicating the all-pervasive nature of Narayana as that of an infinite ocean in which the never-ending movement of birth, life and death of the cosmos occurs. Narayana according to this etymology is the one who moves in the infinite waters and is also the water itself. This close association of Narayana with water explains the frequent depiction of Narayana in Hindu Art as standing or sitting on an ocean. Narayana

I'm thinking it may have to do with pronunciation purposes as the bani was set to Raag. Perhaps it is emphasizing the Divine all-pervading in the human element of sadhsangat, by emphasizing the naar part of the word. So as bani is sung it is teaching the God Himself is pervading in sadhsangat so emphasis is on the human "naar" merging completely Divine nature of the God as the NAAM is reflective of movement also. So Sadhsangat in this context is moving from human to merging with Divine.

ਨਾਰਾਇਣ ਸਾਧਸੰਗਿ ਨਰਾਇਣ

Nārā▫iṇ sāḏẖsang narā▫iṇ.

The Lord, the Lord, is in the Saadh Sangat, the Company of the Holy.

~SGGS Ji ang 868

Pray Truth for all and say Satsriakaal!

Dear all and Harjas Kaur Jee!

Thanks for the informative link from Internet.

Your explanation is beautiful.

May I ask why it uses expressions like "I'm thinking it may have to do with pronunciation purposes . . ." and "Perhaps it is emphasizing . . . ? "

Is it enough for mind to collect information about God? When it becomes possible to experience Truth that is both Naraayan and Naaraayan?

My curiosity is to know. Is HE the different Naaraayana who moves in the infinite Agni and infinite Aakaasha?

Balbir Singh

I'm thinking it may have to do with pronunciation purposes as the bani was set to Raag. Perhaps it is emphasizing the Divine all-pervading in the human element of sadhsangat, by emphasizing the naar part of the word. So as bani is sung it is teaching the God Himself is pervading in sadhsangat so emphasis is on the human "naar" merging completely Divine nature of the God as the NAAM is reflective of movement also. So Sadhsangat in this context is moving from human to merging with Divine.

ਨਾਰਾਇਣ ਸਾਧਸੰਗਿ ਨਰਾਇਣ

Nārā▫iṇ sāḏẖsang narā▫iṇ.

The Lord, the Lord, is in the Saadh Sangat, the Company of the Holy.

~SGGS Ji ang 868

I think there is a difference. Listen to the katha of Narayan Narpat Namasakaare in Raag Kanraa done by Sant Baba Gurbachan Singh Ji Bhindranwale in his Sri Gurur Granth Sahib Ji katha. He breaks down the word (though I cannot remember the meaning). Or just listen to his katha of this shabad.

I think there is a difference. Listen to the katha of Narayan Narpat Namasakaare in Raag Kanraa done by Sant Baba Gurbachan Singh Ji Bhindranwale in his Sri Gurur Granth Sahib Ji katha. He breaks down the word (though I cannot remember the meaning). Or just listen to his katha of this shabad.

Please provide the links and time where Sant Jee explains the difference. I will be thankful.