Fatwa To Working Muslim Women: Don't Talk To Male Colleagues

kdsingh80

The largest Muslim seminary in India, Darul Uloom of Deoband, has issued a fatwa against working Muslim women, saying working with men is not Islamic.

The fatwa says it is unlawful for Muslim women to do any job in government or private institutions that entails men and women working together and women having to talk to men without the veil.

The Deoband clerics say it is clearly mentioned in the Shariat that women should wear the veil in office and should not mix with male colleagues.

The fatwa has been endorsed by Muslim clerics of other schools of thought.

Sunni Muslim cleric Maulana Abul Irfan Firangimahli says, "Those women who are following their careers may get great success in this life...but they have to be accountable and answerable for this in their afterlife and then they will regret their career choices."

Expectedly, the fatwa has not gone down well with women. For well-known Lucknow fashion designer Asma Hussain, the fatwa has no significance. Asma makes her living dressing up women against whom this fatwa has been issued. For more than 10 years she has had dozens of men working for her and points out that their livelihoods depend on her continuing to work.

"If I stop working, then more than me those men will suffer who depend on me for their living. And so I feel that perhaps Allah may not accept my prayers, but he may accept me for trying to contribute to society," Asma says.

Then there is Wajeeda, an entrepreneur who runs a beauty parlour in Lucknow. She has both male and female clients. "These fatwas are issued so frequently, and are so regressive, that it only ends up creating hurdles for Muslim women to move forward. In fact, I think every Muslim woman should work.

Won't make any difference in India, Muslims in India are just as 'Indian' as they are Muslim, and the Sufi/Shia populations are higher in India than most other countries, to whom this Fatwa will mean nothing. Muslim men and women in Indian work successfully in every single industry.

there is nothing called sufi veers , indian the population of muslims is more jehadi , but paapi pet da sawaal hai so these fatwas wont mean anything.

go to all the places where prostitution is practiced , it is dominated by muslims deoband should issues a fatwa that their customers should be just muslim !!!

There is nothing in verdict saying a woman must convert to islam in order to get married to muslim.

In India only a muslim and hindu can marry under special marriage act on the other hand under muslim marriages are governed by All India muslim personal law

.There is no provision in special marriage act that say a muslim man could have 4 wives so he has to marry another muslim woman if he wants to get married under muslim law