Dusshera

http://sikh-reality.blogspot.com/2010/05/dussherra-importance-in-sikhism.html

Benthi to allto listen to Baba Ji's beautiful katha

Interesting!

Giani Ji mentions reciting Chandi Paath and doing Shastar Pooja for all the days of Dusshera. I thought that Dusshera was the tenth day after Navratri. Does he mean that shastar should be poojed for all ten days, or is just on Dusshera (17 Oct 2010)?

Also, do you have the granth that is read from, Dusshera Mahatam Granth, or do you know what bania it contains?

Thanks,

K.

Navratri occurs twice a year, Suraj Prakash mentions the Sharad Navratri look here for a translation of that passage -> http://sikh-reality.blogspot.com/2009/10/worshiping-weapons-passage-from-suraj.html

Not sure if Budha Dal and Hazur Sahib celebrates both Navratris, but will find out and will clarify

According to a website i found, these were the dates this year for Navratri:

Chaitra Navratri or Vasant Navratri: March 16, 2010 to March 24, 2010

Sharad Navratri: October 8, 2010 to October 17, 2010.

Not sure about the marayda, will phone Baba Ji and ask him about what use to happen, the Suraj Prakash passage that I have translated doesnt mention what day they were doing the pooja on. I am pretty sure at Hazur Sahib, during those 10 days they do tons of chandi paat, it is just not on the final day.

A sevadhar of www.nihangsingh.org told me they would upload Dusshera Mahatam Granth online in their section eventually, so look forward for that. I might be able to get it in July and if I do I will make it available. From what I have heard tho, it is just a collection of Shabads from Adi and Dasam Guru Granth Sahib.

Navratri occurs twice a year, Suraj Prakash mentions the Sharad Navratri look here for a translation of that passage -> http://sikh-reality.blogspot.com/2009/10/worshiping-weapons-passage-from-suraj.html

Not sure if Budha Dal and Hazur Sahib celebrates both Navratris, but will find out and will clarify

According to a website i found, these were the dates this year for Navratri:

Chaitra Navratri or Vasant Navratri: March 16, 2010 to March 24, 2010

Sharad Navratri: October 8, 2010 to October 17, 2010.

Not sure about the marayda, will phone Baba Ji and ask him about what use to happen, the Suraj Prakash passage that I have translated doesnt mention what day they were doing the pooja on. I am pretty sure at Hazur Sahib, during those 10 days they do tons of chandi paat, it is just not on the final day.

A sevadhar of www.nihangsingh.org told me they would upload Dusshera Mahatam Granth online in their section eventually, so look forward for that. I might be able to get it in July and if I do I will make it available. From what I have heard tho, it is just a collection of Shabads from Adi and Dasam Guru Granth Sahib.

There are 5 navratris, but I think in North India they only celebrate Vasant and Sharada. Sharada is a maha navratri so most people celebrate this one. Ram Chandar is supposed to have done puja of Durga during this time frame to destroy Ravan.

Yeah, it would be great if you could find out if Hazur Sahib celebrates any other navratris apart from sharada, and what their maryada is during these days.

Another granth that I'm really interested in is Jhataka Parkash. If you ever find it, please let the Sangat here know.

Thanks,

K.

Edited by Kaljug

WOW WHAT A BRILLIANT DESIGN TO THE WEBPAGE.

i love the picture at the top where all the nihangs are gathered together -

God please bring back those days when the khalsa was one fauj that nobody dared to mess with...... whose ethos was

'work together and eat together'

thanks a ton for bringing this up veers , i had inquired during this chaitri navratri which was a couple of months back ,with a veer at Sri Hazoor sahib, they dont celebrate chaitri navratri at Sri Hazoor Sahib.

But yes, mainly Chandi Paath is done. Jvala singh ji if you can shed more light on the way one should the paath and then the way a chatka of coconut or goat should be done, i really would like to know the right way.