Sikh History Video Series

Vaheguru Ji Ka Khalsa! Vaheguru Ji Ki Fateh!

With the divine grace of Sri Guru Arjan Dev Ji Maharaj we would like to present to the Sangat the first in a series of videos promoting the spirit of the Sikhs of old in order to inspire the Sikhs of today, particularly the youth. We call this video series "Honour The Past", with videos looking primarily at the tales of great Sikhs heroes whose legions must now come out from our great historical scriptures and inspire out to Sikhs today to achieve our great potential.

The first video is on the sacrifice of Sahibzada Baba Jujhar Singh Ji, the beloved second royal prince of Sri Guru Gobind Singh Ji (Raajan Raaj). We hope with these videos to promote positive qualities to be held by the Sikh youth today; teaching important values, ideals and characteristics in which to serve the world, our Guru and Akaal Purakh.

We look forward to the Sangats feedback in making this project a success. Any keen historians or those with media skills wanting to get involved, please email media@nihangsingh.org

Video 1:

I feel compelled to comment, having seen the video.

Firstly I commend the attempts to reach out and educate the youth in this way (video) as needed in this day and age. However, in this information age, we should base our material on verifiable fact as much as possible.

There is a blatant error with regard to the number of soldiers sent against dasmesh pita at Chamkaur. I understand this is because of previous exaggeration from our side and a misunderstanding of the text of Zafar-nama regarding the size of the force being faced. Whilst the Guru's side did equal 40, the force sent against him was made up of of more like 700 + soldiers. The dispatch orders given by the Moghuls in this conflict still survives and says as much. The million figure is a gross exaggeration of the extreme kind.

Also, where have you obtained that long stirring narrative between dasmesh pita and sahibzada Jujhar Singh? I don't think it is contemporary or even near contemporary - it may be fictitious and not based on early sources. It seems heavily hagiographical not itihaasik. Today's generation are questioning and when some them later find out inconsistencies it may effect their sharda. Better you guys exercise restraint and thoroughness rather than fall for possible embellishment that takes us away from sat. I mean 40 against 700 plus is no small thing. If we consider a few extra 'hanger ons' to the 700, we are still talking of odds of 200+ to one Singh, which is no small matter.

I noticed the narrative totally does away with the oral tradition of S. Jujhar Singh returning to the fort for a glass of water after having left and being gently reminded that he should not show his back once having gone forth. This was common when I was growing up, I just wondered what happened to that?

Please keep up with the brilliant idea but stick to more reality based information instead of factually questionable material. The facts are awe inspiring enough. We don't need to overly dress them up. Use solid sources for you material. If you have used itihaasik granths, please state which ones and provide dates associated with them.

No offence intended to anyone, if any is felt.