Why Sikhs Never Used Agriculture As Bargaining Tool?

kdsingh80

This question always come's in my mind.Since the Green revolution Punjab has been one of the major contributor of food grain for India.But what surprises me Sikhs never used This as bargaining tool when they were in talks with GOI.even for one season if Farmers of Punjab refuse to grow food grain then it could had been terrible blow for India.

This question always come's in my mind.Since the Green revolution Punjab has been one of the major contributor of food grain for India.But what surprises me Sikhs never used This as bargaining tool when they were in talks with GOI.even for one season if Farmers of Punjab refuse to grow food grain then it could had been terrible blow for India.

I think because by holding food as a weapon, it is the average Indian who will go hungry, not the politicians and policy makers.

East Punjab produces around 25-33% of india's food.

The last time someone used the food as a bargaining tool, we ended up with tens of thousands of soldiers, special forces and paramilitaries racing across the border. And that was the 80s in Punjab. No point using food as bargaining chips if you the other side are just going to beat the living daylights out of your people whilst you cant do anything about it.

In the last few days before the Golden Temple was attacked in 1984, withholding of grain was planned. I think it was to start the day after they attacked.

It probably forced Congress's hand.