ਪਵਣੁ ਗੁਰੂ

whenever i listen or recite this tuk, meaning i get is

ਪਵਣੁ ਗੁਰੂ ਪਾਣੀ ਪਿਤਾ ਮਾਤਾ ਧਰਤਿ ਮਹਤੁ ॥

Word is Guru, water is father and earth is mother .

But steeks and kathavachaks say different.

Edited by laalsingh

Atleast once ਪਵਣੁ meant sound in Guru Nanak's bani.

That is one case out of twenty in SGGS ji. I'd go for air myself.

Found this in MK: "ਅਖੀ ਅੰਧੁ ਜੀਭ ਰਸੁ ਨਾਹੀ ਕੰਨੀ ਪਵਣੁ ਨ ਵਾਜੈ". (ਆਸਾ ਮਃ ੧) ਕੰਨਾਂ ਵਿੱਚ ਪੌਣ ਦੀ ਲਹਿਰ, ਬਾਰੀਕ ਝਿੱਲੀ ਪੁਰ ਠੋਕਰ ਖਾਕੇ ਸ਼ਬਦ ਉਤਪੰਨ ਨਹੀਂ ਕਰਦੀ।

Any idea what the bit in red is saying?

ਕੰਨਾਂ ਵਿੱਚ ਪੌਣ ਦੀ ਲਹਿਰ, ਬਾਰੀਕ ਝਿੱਲੀ ਪੁਰ ਠੋਕਰ ਖਾਕੇ ਸ਼ਬਦ ਉਤਪੰਨ ਨਹੀਂ ਕਰਦੀ।

Airwaves in ears, upon hitting eardrum does not produce any word.

xxxxxxxxxxxx

Yes, ਪਵਣੁ means sound here.

Edited by laalsingh

Tejikaur is really clued up about Gurbani grammar. We should ask her maybe?

Any way. Air (gases), water, earth. Is Guru ji perhaps talking about the deeper principles underlying the ecosystem? I mean when man really messes about with 'mother earth' chopping down tries and pumping it full of chemical gases, it seems to have a very negative effect on the oxygen (pavan) and the water (pani) levels start acting up?

I agree that pavan can mean more than just air/gas but I'm not if that applies here. The tri-formulation of gas, liquid and earth occurs again in bani in this way on panna 146:

ਪਉਣੁ ਗੁਰੂ ਪਾਣੀ ਪਿਤਾ ਮਾਤਾ ਧਰਤਿ ਮਹਤੁ ॥

Air is the Guru, Water is the Father, and Earth is the Great Mother of all.

I don't know if they are related but another similar 'triple formula' that occurs a number of times in bani is one of air, water and fire, as in:

ਗਾਵਹਿ ਤੁਹਨੋ ਪਉਣੁ ਪਾਣੀ ਬੈਸੰਤਰੁ

ਪਵਣ ਪਾਣੀ ਅਗਨੀ ਪਾਤਾਲ

ਕੇਤੇ ਪਵਣ ਪਾਣੀ ਵੈਸੰਤਰ

A contextual example:

Gauree, First Mehl:

ਪਉਣੈ ਪਾਣੀ ਅਗਨੀ ਕਾ ਮੇਲੁ ॥

The union of air, water and fire -

ਚੰਚਲ ਚਪਲ ਬੁਧਿ ਕਾ ਖੇਲੁ ॥

the body is the play-thing of the fickle and unsteady intellect.

ਨਉ ਦਰਵਾਜੇ ਦਸਵਾ ਦੁਆਰੁ ॥

It has nine doors, and then there is the Tenth Gate.

ਬੁਝੁ ਰੇ ਗਿਆਨੀ ਏਹੁ ਬੀਚਾਰੁ ॥੧॥

Reflect upon this and understand it, O wise one. ||1||

ਕਥਤਾ ਬਕਤਾ ਸੁਨਤਾ ਸੋਈ ॥

The Lord is the One who speaks, teaches and listens.

ਆਪੁ ਬੀਚਾਰੇ ਸੁ ਗਿਆਨੀ ਹੋਈ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥

One who contemplates his own self is truly wise. ||1||Pause||

Edited by dalsingh101

Dalsingh please stop being absurd. Pavan would more accurately mean something like rooh which is a spirit. Rooh in original arabic means air or breath. The same as Pnuema in greek means air and spirit.

Pani Pita is fertilising sperms/seeds in dharti earth the womb the mother Earth. The Guru is bringing a teaching that needs correct ground to grow in and needs to be fertilised. Im sorry but Guru Granth Sahib is not about ecology.

Dalsingh please stop being absurd. Pavan would more accurately mean something like rooh which is a spirit. Rooh in original arabic means air or breath. The same as Pnuema in greek means air and spirit.

Pani Pita is fertilising sperms/seeds in dharti earth the womb the mother Earth. The Guru is bringing a teaching that needs correct ground to grow in and needs to be fertilised.

Making the most tenuous links/connections and then going on like they are some sort of unquestionable truth is what is absurd.

I applaud your creative imagination in interpretation but please realise that you (or any of us here) certainly have no 'extra powers' to interpret esoteric meaning in bani.

Im sorry but Guru Granth Sahib is not about ecology.

It possibly refers to all manner of things, including nature/ecology. I'm not saying it is a manual on ecology, just that it is alluded to (possibly?). Consider:

ਆਸਣੁ ਲੋਇ ਲੋਇ ਭੰਡਾਰ ॥

आसणु लोइ लोइ भंडार ॥

Āsaṇ lo▫e lo▫e bẖandār.

On world after world are His Seats of Authority and His Storehouses.

ਜੋ ਕਿਛੁ ਪਾਇਆ ਸੁ ਏਕਾ ਵਾਰ ॥

जो किछु पाइआ सु एका वार ॥

Jo kicẖẖ pā▫i▫ā so ekā vār.

Whatever was put into them was put there once and for all.

ਕਰਿ ਕਰਿ ਵੇਖੈ ਸਿਰਜਣਹਾਰੁ ॥

करि करि वेखै सिरजणहारु ॥

Kar kar vekẖai sirjaṇhār.

Having created the creation, the Creator Lord watches over it.

I could be wrong but these storehouses seem to imply 'that from which the Lord provides us sustenance'. The point about it being put into place 'once' implies some sort of cyclic system that fulfills our needs here on earth. I don't think it is absurd to consider that at least a part of this is related to the ecological system we have been given that sees to our needs (God's storehouse if you will). The fact that it was put down once implies it was perfect and that (possibly) man through excessively interfering with it could damage this God given perfect system?

Whatever we come out with are (in the end) just lowly human reflections and attempts at expansion (ਵਿਸਤਾਰ) on something we ALL need to do A LOT bhagti towards to even begin to grasp on a higher level. So give the supercilious tone a rest mate.

Edited by dalsingh101

Pani Pita is fertilising sperms/seeds in dharti earth the womb the mother Earth. The Guru is bringing a teaching that needs correct ground to grow in and needs to be fertilised. Im sorry but Guru Granth Sahib is not about ecology.

I agree with water and earth. Bhagat Kabir too uses word water for sperm and earth for mother. In similar Shabad, pavan is used for breath or life.

ਪਾਨੀ ਮੈਲਾ ਮਾਟੀ ਗੋਰੀ ॥

But here in this Shabad pavan is being called Guru.

Edited by laalsingh

The word inspiration is interesting it originally meant a blowing/breathing into. And now means "a divine influence directly and immediately exerted upon the mind or soul". The Guru is the ultimate teacher and through 'air' The Guru inspires the chela. Very tenuously it could be said inspiration is hearing the 'word' of The Guru. Thus the true chela is always listening to the 'word' of the Guru which is carried through the 'air'.

Note that blowing - -> breathing - - > life. The blessing of the Guru gives life, through which generation (pita) and gestation (Ma) is possible. Creation of the Universe could also be implied here. Compare Genesis where the Spirit of God hovered over the waters and then seperated the waters and created night and day. And also Hiranyagarbha "There was nothing, either moving or static. Then Svayambhu, Self-manifested Being arose, which is a form beyond senses. It created the primordial waters first and established the seed of creation into it. The seed turned into a golden womb, Hiranyagarbha. Then Svayambhu entered in the egg, and it is called Vishnu because of entering"

There are also other correspondences that we can suggest Pavan Guru being Sattva Pani Pita Rajas and Mata being Tamas. Sattva being lightest (air) and tamas being heaviest (earth)

Edited by Mekhane'ch Jannat

Interesting, but are we projecting esoteric meanings of sperm/eggs etc. onto the slok?

I wonder what Prof. Sahib Singh has to say about it?

ਸਲੋਕੁ ॥ ਪਵਣੁ ਗੁਰੂ ਪਾਣੀ ਪਿਤਾ ਮਾਤਾ ਧਰਤਿ ਮਹਤੁ ॥ ਦਿਵਸੁ ਰਾਤਿ ਦੁਇ ਦਾਈ ਦਾਇਆ ਖੇਲੈ ਸਗਲ ਜਗਤੁ ॥

Shalok: Air is the Guru, Water is the Father, and Earth is the Great Mother of all. Day and night are the two nurses, in whose lap all the world is at play.

ਪਵਣੁ = ਹਵਾ, ਸੁਆਸ, ਪ੍ਰਾਣ। ਮਹਤੁ = ਵੱਡੀ। ਦਿਵਸੁ = ਦਿਨ। ਦੁਇ = ਦੋਵੇਂ। ਦਿਵਸੁ ਦਾਇਆ = ਦਿਨ ਖਿਡਾਵਾ ਹੈ। ਰਾਤਿ ਦਾਈ = ਰਾਤ ਖਿਡਾਵੀ ਹੈ। ਸਗਲ = ਸਾਰਾ।

ਪ੍ਰਾਣ (ਸਰੀਰਾਂ ਲਈ ਇਉਂ ਹਨ ਜਿਵੇਂ) ਗੁਰੂ (ਜੀਵਾਂ ਦੇ ਆਤਮਾ ਲਈ) ਹੈ, ਪਾਣੀ (ਸਭ ਜੀਵਾਂ ਦਾ) ਪਿਉ ਹੈ ਅਤੇ ਧਰਤੀ (ਸਭ ਦੀ) ਵੱਡੀ ਮਾਂ ਹੈ। ਦਿਨ ਅਤੇ ਰਾਤ ਦੋਵੇਂ ਖਿਡਾਵਾ ਤੇ ਖਿਡਾਵੀ ਹਨ, ਸਾਰਾ ਸੰਸਾਰ ਖੇਡ ਰਿਹਾ ਹੈ, (ਭਾਵ, ਸੰਸਾਰ ਦੇ ਸਾਰੇ ਜੀਵ ਰਾਤ ਨੂੰ ਸੌਣ ਵਿਚ ਅਤੇ ਦਿਨੇ ਕਾਰ-ਵਿਹਾਰ ਵਿਚ ਪਰਚੇ ਪਏ ਹਨ)। ❁ ਭਾਵ: ਇਹ ਜਗਤ ਇਕ ਰੰਗ-ਭੂਮੀ ਹੈ, ਜਿਸ ਵਿਚ ਜੀਵ ਖਿਲਾੜੀ ਆਪੋ ਆਪਣੀ ਖੇਡ ਖੇਡ ਰਹੇ ਹਨ। ਹਰੇਕ ਜੀਵ ਦੀ ਪੜਤਾਲ ਬੜੇ ਗਹੁ ਨਾਲ ਹੋ ਰਹੀ ਹੈ। ਜੋ ਨਿਰੀ ਮਾਇਆ ਦੀ ਖੇਡ ਹੀ ਖੇਡ ਗਏ, ਉਹ ਪ੍ਰਭੂ ਤੋਂ ਵਿੱਥ ਪਾਈ ਗਏ। ਪਰ ਜਿਨ੍ਹਾਂ ਨੇ ਸਿਮਰਨ ਦੀ ਖੇਡ ਖੇਡੀ, ਉਹ ਆਪਣੀ ਮਿਹਨਤ ਸਫਲੀ ਕਰ ਗਏ ਤੇ ਹੋਰ ਕਈ ਜੀਵਾਂ ਨੂੰ ਇਸ ਸੁਚੱਜੇ ਰਾਹ 'ਤੇ ਪਾਂਦੇ ਹੋਏ ਆਪ ਭੀ ਪ੍ਰਭੂ ਦੀ ਹਜ਼ੂਰੀ ਵਿਚ ਸੁਰਖ਼ਰੂ ਹੋਏ।

ਚੰਗਿਆਈਆ ਬੁਰਿਆਈਆ ਵਾਚੈ ਧਰਮੁ ਹਦੂਰਿ ॥ ਕਰਮੀ ਆਪੋ ਆਪਣੀ ਕੇ ਨੇੜੈ ਕੇ ਦੂਰਿ ॥

Good deeds and bad deeds-the record is read out in the Presence of the Lord of Dharma. According to their own actions, some are drawn closer, and some are driven farther away.

ਵਾਚੈ = ਪਰਖਦਾ ਹੈ, (ਲਿਖੇ ਹੋਏ) ਪੜ੍ਹਦਾ ਹੈ। ਹਦੂਰਿ = ਅਕਾਲ ਪੁਰਖ ਦੀ ਹਜ਼ੂਰੀ ਵਿਚ, ਅਕਾਲ ਪੁਰਖ ਦੇ ਦਰ 'ਤੇ। ਕਰਮੀ = ਕਰਮਾਂ ਅਨੁਸਾਰ। ਕੇ = ਕਈ ਜੀਵ। ਨੇੜੈ = ਅਕਾਲ ਪੁਰਖ ਦੇ ਨਜ਼ਦੀਕ।

ਧਰਮਰਾਜ ਅਕਾਲ ਪੁਰਖ ਦੀ ਹਜ਼ੂਰੀ ਵਿਚ (ਜੀਵਾਂ ਦੇ ਕੀਤੇ ਹੋਏ) ਚੰਗੇ ਤੇ ਮੰਦੇ ਕੰਮ ਵਿਚਾਰਦਾ ਹੈ। ਆਪੋ ਆਪਣੇ (ਇਹਨਾਂ ਕੀਤੇ ਹੋਏ) ਕਰਮਾਂ ਦੇ ਅਨੁਸਾਰ ਕਈ ਜੀਵ ਅਕਾਲ ਪੁਰਖ ਦੇ ਨੇੜੇ ਹੋ ਜਾਂਦੇ ਹਨ ਅਤੇ ਅਕਾਲ ਪੁਰਖ ਤੋਂ ਦੂਰਿ ਹੋ ਜਾਂਦੇ ਹਨ।

ਜਿਨੀ ਨਾਮੁ ਧਿਆਇਆ ਗਏ ਮਸਕਤਿ ਘਾਲਿ ॥ ਨਾਨਕ ਤੇ ਮੁਖ ਉਜਲੇ ਕੇਤੀ ਛੁਟੀ ਨਾਲਿ ॥੧॥

Those who have meditated on the Naam, the Name of the Lord, and departed after having worked by the sweat of their brows - O Nanak, their faces are radiant in the Court of the Lord, and many are saved along with them! ||1||

ਜਿਨੀ = ਜਿਨ੍ਹਾਂ ਮਨੁੱਖਾਂ ਨੇ। ਤੇ = ਉਹ ਮਨੁੱਖ। ਧਿਆਇਆ = ਸਿਮਰਿਆ ਹੈ। ਮਸਕਤਿ = ਮਸ਼ੱਕਤਿ, ਮਿਹਨਤ, ਘਾਲ-ਕਮਾਈ। ਘਾਲਿ = ਘਾਲ ਕੇ, ਸਫਲੀ ਕਰ ਕੇ। ਮੁਖ ਉਜਲੇ = ਉੱਜਲ ਮੁਖ ਵਾਲੇ। ਕੇਤੀ = ਕਈ ਜੀਵ। ਛੁਟੀ = ਮੁਕਤ ਹੋ ਗਈ, ਮਾਇਆ ਦੇ ਬੰਦਨਾਂ ਤੋਂ ਰਹਿਤ ਹੋ ਗਈ। ਨਾਲਿ = ਉਹਨਾਂ (ਗੁਰਮੁਖਾਂ) ਦੀ ਸੰਗਤ ਵਿਚ।

ਹੇ ਨਾਨਕ! ਜਿਨ੍ਹਾਂ ਮਨੁੱਖਾਂ ਨੇ ਅਕਾਲ ਪੁਰਖ ਦਾ ਨਾਮ ਸਿਮਰਿਆ ਹੈ, ਉਹ ਆਪਣੀ ਮਿਹਨਤ ਸਫਲੀ ਕਰ ਗਏ ਹਨ, (ਅਕਾਲ ਪੁਰਖ ਦੇ ਦਰ 'ਤੇ) ਉਹ ਉੱਜਲ ਮੁਖ ਵਾਲੇ ਹਨ ਅਤੇ (ਹੋਰ ਭੀ) ਕਈ ਜੀਵ ਉਹਨਾਂ ਦੀ ਸੰਗਤਿ ਵਿਚ (ਰਹਿ ਕੇ) ("ਕੂੜ ਦੀ ਪਾਲਿ" ਢਾਹ ਕੇ ਮਾਇਆ ਦੇ ਬੰਧਨਾਂ ਤੋਂ) ਆਜ਼ਾਦ ਹੋ ਗਏ ਹਨ।੧।

ਪ੍ਰਾਣ (ਸਰੀਰਾਂ ਲਈ ਇਉਂ ਹਨ ਜਿਵੇਂ) ਗੁਰੂ (ਜੀਵਾਂ ਦੇ ਆਤਮਾ ਲਈ) ਹੈ, ਪਾਣੀ (ਸਭ ਜੀਵਾਂ ਦਾ) ਪਿਉ ਹੈ ਅਤੇ ਧਰਤੀ (ਸਭ ਦੀ) ਵੱਡੀ ਮਾਂ ਹੈ।

Breath (is to the body as) Guru (is to the souls of the living), water (is every beings) father and earth (is everyones) great mother.

??

Edited by dalsingh101

This is from the Faridkot tika, maybe someone (ahem Lal Singh...) wants to try and translate it? Is that Panjabi or Hindi??

ਜਗਤ ਕੋ ਬਾਲਕ ਰੂਪੁ ਮਾਨ ਕਰ ਤਿਸ ਕੇ ਰੱਖਕ ਕਹਤੇ ਹੈਂ ਕਿ ਸਾਰੇ ਸੰਸਾਰ ਕਾ ਗੁਰੂ ਪੌਣੁ ਹੈ ਤਿਸ ਕੇ ਦੋ ਭਾਉ ਹੈਂ ਏਕ ਤੋ ਸਭ ਮੇ ਵਡਾ ਪੌਨੁ ਹੈ ਕ੍ਯੋਂਕਿ ਸਭ ਇੰਦ੍ਰਯ ਪੌਨੁ ਹੀ ਕੇ ਆਸਰੇ ਇਸਥਿਤ ਹੈਂ ਤਾਂ ਤੇ ਸਭ ਕਾ ਗੁਰੂ ਪੌਨੁ ਕਹਾ ਵਾ ਗੁਰਾ ਕਾ ਜੋ ਉਪਦੇਸੁ ਹੈ ਸੋ ਪੌਂਣ ਸੇ ਹੋਤਾ ਹੈ ਭਾਵ ਪੌਂਣ ਕਰ ਸਬਦੁ ਹੋਤਾ ਹੈ ਇਸੀ ਤੇ ਗੁਰੂ ਕਹਾ ਔਰ ਪਾਣੀ ਪਿਤਾ ਹੈ ਕਿਉਂਕਿ ਜਲ ਸੇਂ ਸਰਬ ਕੀ ਉਤਪਤਿ ਹੋਤੀ ਹੈ ਇਸ ਸੇ ਪਾਣੀ ਜਗਤ ਕਾ ਪਿਤਾ ਹੈ ਔਰ (ਮਹਤੁ) ਵਡੀ ਮਾਤਾ ਧਰਤੀ ਹੈ ਜੈਸੇ ਮਾਤਾ ਪੁਤ੍ਰ ਕੋ ਉਠਾਈ ਰਖਤੀ ਹੈ ਤੈਸੇ ਬਾਲਕ ਕੀ ਭਾਂਤਿ ਪ੍ਰਜਾ ਕੋ ਅਪਨੇ ਊਪਰ ਉਠਾਈ ਰਖਤੀ ਹੈ ਔਰੁ ਅੰਨੁ ਉਤਪੰਨ ਕਰਕੇ ਉਦਰ ਪੋਖਣ ਕਰਤੀ ਹੈ ਭਾਵ ਮਾਤਾ ਪੁਤ੍ਰ ਕਾ ਮਲੁ ਮੂਤ੍ਰ ਪ੍ਰਿਥਵੀ ਤੇ ਸਿੱਟ ਦੇਤੀ ਹੈ ਇਸੀ ਤੇ ਜਨਮ ਕੀ ਮਾਤਾ ਤੇ ਪ੍ਰਿਥਵੀ ਅਧਿਕ ਹੈ॥ ਇਸ ਮੇਂ ਏਕ ਵੇਦ ਕਾ ਇਤਹਾਸ ਹੈ ਏਕ ਸਮੇ ਸਭ ਇੰਦ੍ਰੀਯੋਂ ਕਾ ਵਿਵਾਦ ਹੂਆ ਸਭ ਅਪਨੇ ਕੋ ਵਡਾ ਕਹਨੇ ਲਗੇ ਬ੍ਰਹਮਾ ਜੀ ਪਾਸ ਨ੍ਯਾਇ ਵਾਸਤੇ ਗਏ ਬ੍ਰਹਮਾ ਜੀ ਨੇ ਕਹਾ ਕਿ ਏਕ ਏਕ ਤੁਮ ਸਰੀਰ ਸੇ ਬਾਹਰ ਹੋਤੇ ਜਾਓ ਤੋ ਨੇਤ੍ਰਾਦਿ ਇੰਦ੍ਰੀਓਂ ਕੇ ਬਾਹਰ ਹੋਨੇ ਸੇ ਭੀ ਬਿਵਹਾਰ ਸਿਧ ਹੋਤਾ ਰਹਾ ਜਬ ਪ੍ਰਾਨਿ ਨਿਕਲਨੇ ਲਗੇ ਔਰ ਸਰੀਰੁ ਗਿਰਨੇ ਲਗਾ ਤਬ ਬ੍ਰਹਮਾ ਜੀ ਨੇ ਕਹਾ ਸਭ ਸੇ ਵਡਾ ਪੌਨ ਹੈ ਇਸ ਬਿਨਾ ਬਿਵਹਾਰ ਸਿਧ ਨਹੀਂ ਹੋਤਾ॥
Edited by dalsingh101

This is from the Faridkot tika, maybe someone (ahem Lal Singh...) wants to try and translate it? Is that Panjabi or Hindi??

It says about ਪੌਣ

Pavan has two meanings. One is that pavan(air) is biggest of all. All the organs are dependent on pavan, (second is that) pavan is world guru because instructions from Guru come through it. Meaning, with air shabad comes.

This is from the Rajinder Singh Gill teeka Shaheediyan gave me, he was a student of Prof. Sahib Singh:

pavan = air (that we breathe); Guru = spiritual master; pani = water; pita = father; mata = mother; dhart(e) = the earth; mahat = great mother, sacred mother

Guru is like a spiritual life force; water like father and the earth like a great (sacred) mother. (What is implied is that Guru is absolutely essential for leading a Spiritual life. Like physical life is not possible without air, water and earth, so is Spiritual life not possible without a Guru - the Spiritual Master.)

• 12 years later...