Dressing Modestly?

Gurfateh :D

All religions, in one way or the other say we should live a simple life, and dress modestly. However, to what extent should we dress modestly? Are jeans or long skirts acceptable? Or would you think Punjabi suits are more appropriate?

Some religions such as Islam specifically mention in their holy books what women should wear. A hijaab or niqaab (full coverage from head to feet).

Inner modesty is aided by dressing modesty and preventing lustful thoughts for yourself and the person looking at you. In Gurmat Guru Ji says:

‘Friend, all other wear ruins happiness, the wear that to the limbs is torment, and with foul thinking fills the mind’ (Guru Granth Sahib Ji, pg. 16)

Is Guru Ji referring to our own mind or the minds of others? If others, then how many restrictions should be placed on clothes for Sikh women particularly? Outside and when visiting the Gurudwara?

What does the Sangat think? :?:

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

unlike islam sikhi isnt a cultural thing, its a spiritual thing.

you dont have to wear a salwaar kameez, but ill wear a kurta later to get away from the temptations of brand names.

when people say western clothes you dont have to associate it with skimpy tops for women etc, just wear something that doesnt show off your figure or too much skin. like cover the arms, etc - obvious stuff.

i think anything is fine really, as long as its sensible.

ok gurpreet pehnji, i say sikh girls allways look nice in panjabi suits an stuff, but the big NO NO is the so called sikh girls who dress up in a metre of clothing in english clothes to look pretty, this is just not acceptable. it portrays sikh gals as easy which they arnt cos the gals who dress like this aint sikhs at all,

but i tell u sumthin though u aint ever gonna find a proper sikh gal in the kind of shit the slappers be wearin so the answer to u question would be sikh gals allready dress appropriatley :wink:

its jus the slappers who dont

p.s my ankhar has been off the scale lately

Gurfateh

Thanks for the replies guys. Kamaal ho gaya, two Bhaji's replied already, Where's all the Penji's at? :wink:

Do you think it would be wise to have some kind of restrictions set on clothing for Sikh girls? Or would it just make it worse? I see a lot of Sikh girls, and they wear really inappropriate clothes even in Gurudwaras.

Although as Shere Bhaji said, they are obviously not Amritdhari.

All the Penjis ----> :hearme:

Gurfateh

Guest kaur1699

Fateh Ji,

I dont think you are required to wear a suit to look 'sensible' or whatever... Wear whatever you want as long as you do look presentable, theres nothing wrong in wearing jeans/top/etc in comparison to suits as long as its sensible...

Guest Punjabi Nationalist

how many restrictions should be placed on clothes for Sikh women particularly? Outside and when visiting the Gurudwara?

What does the Sangat think? :?:

Gurpreet Ji, i checked your profile, you're a teacher. Therefore i know you must be joking when you ask whether or not Sikh women should have "restrictions" placed upon them when it comes to clothing.

Of course, when in the Gurdwara people should not dress to impress, but dress respectably, not drawing unnecessary attention to yourself.

Outside the Gurdwara, why on earth would you want "restrictions" placed on Sikh women? Leave the mindless discriminatory rules and regulations to Islam and those that aspire to be like the Arabs.

Gurfateh

Punjabi Nationalist Bhaji, I would have to agree with you. I just wondered whether it would be useful to have some kind of dress code, because of the western influences surrounding us, some people take liberties.

I'm not a teacher yet :wink: Start in September, don't think Il last long though :?

Gurfateh

First and Foremost, One should dress that it should be to the limit where as sitting in the family would look appropriate.

I know, I know ..some parents are too loose these days, but most know what is best for their daughter/son.

And that whole glamourising saga, is totally the person's decision. Againnnnnnnnnnn Punjabi Media Influence, ..Nangiya Nuching Tupping. But again only your self knows your self better than anyone else. And parents only have a control to certain age limit. But, if the parents start it out decent, the child will have enough common sense on how to dress their self.

Again, you can tell a lot about the person how they dress and such.

And I don't think I made a point here, but I think I said something.

And good luck...Gurpreet pehnji teaching :D , What grade by the way?

Gurfateh

Desikudi Penji, you make a good point, it's more of a cultural thing then, dressing modestly should be encouraged by parents, if they themselves do of course, so you did make a good point see? :wink:

Nangiya Nuching Tupping

:LOL: That's classic. I'l remember that one!

I'm gonna be teaching from year 8 to A'level in the Sikh school in Hayes, so I have to act like a grown up now :cry:

Although, Il be myself here at least :P

Gurfateh

Gurpreet

gurpreet pehnji, uno the people u talkin bout takin liberties are they the stupid slapper types, cos if it is yeah then the only way u gonna stop em from dressin like tarts is by givin them a good old thuppar :roll:

its jus that i findin it hard to belive that a chunji kurri will wear shit like that so i presumed u talkin bout the slappers

oi shere khalsa da, .ive red alot of ur posts and dey all filled wid anga and hatred....i can take it 2 a certain extent, but u gota stop...u should b able 2 express ur opinion using respectable language..and not goin completely crazy ova stuff.....sikhi teaches us 2 be able 2 control our anger...SO DO IT>......daam u almost made me angry there :wink:

sorri paaji, if i was slightly rude, but its the truth

Just don't give up your culture. wearing western dresses mean giving up our culture and tradition. Here is "Chunni" trying to say some thing.

"CHUUNI IN PAIN"

Meri ijat noo ina lutya,

teh sharayam badnam kita,

main bandhi rahi jina di ijat,

una meri ijat noo he neelam kita.

Manu dil cho kadh ke pare sitya

kisay hor noo hai dha dita,

Mein gaaray noo ke dosh deva,

Mera apnaya ney na saath dita.

Mein jis barey di ronak bani,

Una meri hee ronak noo muka dita.

Eh kasy hawa hai aiii,

Ke ina kuria,

Meri pehchan noo muka dita.

no need 2 get lairy...i neva sed ur hatred wos directed at sum1 in particular, jus cetain viewpoints and ideas..u have to take in these viewpoints, not necessarily accept them or follow them, but certainly not show hatred towards them...

i no its hard 2 do, coz wen sum1 sez sumtin rele stupid, ignorant or so obviously incorrect u tink 2 urself "bloody hell, how thick can sum1 get"but sikhi's lall bout learnin, and sum ppl need 2 do a bit more learnin than others..

so all i'm sayin is paaji, accept them :D

and smile :D

fateh

Guest Javanmard

Dress modestly? WHy? To confrom to patriarchal concepts of control of female sexuality? NOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Salwar kameez only became the standard Sikh women's dress under the British. before that Sikh women wore ghagra and short blouse, sometimes there was not even a blouse and women covered their chest with a shawl when going out. Guru Gobind SIngh's wives wore ghagra. The relics of these are still conserved.

You know wot - sum1 sed its not bout the physical thing but the spiritual side....

I think Guru's wanted us to use a bit of a brain in this and think 4 ourselves wot wud b appropriate - as times r changing!!!!

Whatevr the girl wears - it shud b suitable. Just suitable. And whatever they were should be suitable to wear in front of their parents. If their parents have a prooblem with it, more likely sum1 elses will too.

So, buy sumthing that u know wud be okay to wear in fron of your mum and dad .... then if its okay wid ur folks, its ok 4 u.... but that doesnt mean u can nag and nag ur folks or persuade them a liccle to stretch the rules....

If u can wear the brand names without getting an ego or whatever then thats kool.

Can we cut down the swearing plees. I know i need to do it too. Im gna stop now.

Guest Javanmard

I think parents should not be the criteria rgarding clothes. What if some parents find potato sacks suitable. No we're Sikhs and when we go to darbar sahib we go to a court not a church. Akal Purakh gave us a body and beauty so dress accordingly and show how grateful you are.

Okay sorry - just saying what i do in my house. I cudnt wear anything my parents wud not allow and wudnt anyway!!!!!!

I wrote

I think Guru's wanted us to use a bit of a brain in this and think 4 ourselves wot wud b appropriate - as times r changing!!!!

All i meant was wear sumthing suitable, be it okay with our folks is kool. But use ur brain too. I think dressing simple and not standing out is just fine!!!!!!!!!

The way i was taught ... stand out be proud u r SIkhi.

Fine.

Not in the ways of brand named clothes woteva.... makeup - fine if ur married....

Your general appearnce should be all gud... but not dress to impress!! - Ego is such an easy thing to slip in to.....

yeah ok K4ur thats all good but the thing is sum parents are jus stupid

(let daughters do whatever they want and so on an so forth)

and lalleshvari wot u talkin wen u say "why not stand out?as sikhs we allways stand out" so that dosent give girls the all clear to wear a metre of clothing and "stand out" does it

as sikhs we stand out cos of our unique apperance , a dastar, a kirpan, long uncut hair.....and thats wot makes us stand out, not by revealing our bodys so every1 can see them :nihung:

okay shere u just put what i was tryna say into actual english vocabulary so congrats ont that... lolzzzz.

My comments were on SIkh gals.

As for the gals who r not into SIkhi (ive refrained from swearing here) they dont know any better!!!