Serious Divergence In Sunset And Sunrise Times

Most of us have probably noticed the earlier start of the day in the UK. So I checked for sunset/sunrise times in London and found this:

http://www.gaisma.com/en/location/london.html

I was just pondering it along the lines of how traditionally Sikhs prayed along solar cycles (i.e. morning prayers and simran in run up to sunrise) and Rehras around sunset.

If you look at the table in the link, it shows quite a large difference will steadily take place between these two points of a day over the next few months.

Now if we were hypothetically to try and pray along solar rhythms (as it seems was originally intended), that would mean serious adaptation!

I mean right now the sun starts to rise about 5.20ish and sets (it gets significantly darker) at around 7.30/7.45ish. In a few months

theoretically we are looking at Rehras well after 9.00 pm!

I asked a freshy at the Gurdwara about sunset and sunrises back home and he said they were pretty stable/steady with a slight change across seasons but nothing as dramatic as what we experience here.

Interesting stuff.

Edited by dalsingh101

Today went Gurdwara and did Rehras, finished at 7.00pm.

It did feel unusual to have finished Rehras when it was still daylight.

Actually, Gurbani usually indicates timings in terms of 'pehrs', with the day divided into 8 pehrs. Closer to the equator,and between the tropics, there is not much change in sunrise/ sunset times through the year.

So if pehrs are broadly of equal size (???) they must be around 3 hours each?

Edited by dalsingh101

Interesting topic lot to discuss on it. I went to close to Yukon, Canada where sun would set at 11 pm- 11:30 pm at night and rise around 3:45 - 4 am in summer..i beleive pehar concept is correct or right way of doing it as oppose to following sun rise or sun set as there are places in the world where sun stays 6 months in summer, darkness stays 6 months in winter.

Any ideas of why Muslims stuck rigidly to their pre-mechanical clock system and we (apparently) became more relaxed about it?

This isn't a cue to sullah bash, in case anyone takes it that way. Genuine opinions are sought.

I don't know from where the idea that Rehras should be done at sunset has become embedded in my head?

I notice that Nand Lal's Prashan Uttar (Mcleod's translation) says:

"At sunset join in Rahiras. hear both kirtan and katha and join in praising God."

His translation of Prem Sumarag says:

"An hour before the close of day, recite the Sodar Rahiras. At it's conclusion read Japu[ji] and Jap, and touch the ground with your forehead."

I think the sunset thing definitely stems from someplace other than my imagination....or I'm losing it? lol

Does Bhai Gurdas mention Rehras?

Edited by dalsingh101

Found this gem by BG (V6,P3):

ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤ ਵੇਲੇ ਉਠਿ ਕੈ ਜਾਇ ਅੰਦਰਿ ਦਰੀਆਇ ਨ੍ਹਵੰਦੇ।

Getting up at the ambrosial hour of morning the Sikhs bathe in the river.

ਸਹਜਿ ਸਮਾਧਿ ਅਗਾਧਿ ਵਿਚਿ ਇਕ ਮਨਿ ਹੋਇ ਗੁਰ ਜਾਪੁ ਜਪੰਦੇ।

By putting their mind in the unfathomable God through deep concentration, they remember Guru, the God by reciting Japu (Ji).

ਮਥੈ ਟਿਕੇ ਲਾਲ ਲਾਇ ਸਾਧਸੰਗਤਿ ਚਲਿ ਜਾਇ ਬਹੰਦੇ।

Getting fully activated then they go to join the holy congregation of the saints.

ਸਬਦੁ ਸੁਰਤਿ ਲਿਵਲੀਣੁ ਹੋਇ ਸਤਿਗੁਰ ਬਾਣੀ ਗਾਇ ਸੁਣੰਦੇ।

Becoming absorbed in remembering and loving the sabad they sing and hear the Guru's hymns.

ਭਾਇ ਭਗਤਿ ਭੈ ਵਰਤਮਾਨ ਗੁਰ ਸੇਵਾ ਗੁਰਪੁਰਬ ਕਰੰਦੇ।

They love to spend their time in meditation, service and fear of God and they serve the Gum by observing his anniversaries.

ਸੰਝੈ ਸੋਦਰੁ ਗਾਵਣਾ ਮਨ ਮੇਲੀ ਕਰਿ ਮੇਲਿ ਮਿਲੰਦੇ।

They sing the Sodar in the evening and heartily associate with one another.

ਰਾਤੀ ਕੀਰਤਿ ਸੋਹਿਲਾ ਕਰਿ ਆਰਤੀ ਪਰਸਾਦ ਵੰਡੰਦੇ।

Having recited the Sohila and made supplication at night they distribute sacred food (prasad).

ਗੁਰਮੁਖ ਸੁਖ ਫਲੁ ਪਿਰਮ ਚਖੰਦੇ ॥੩॥

Thus gurmukhs gladly taste the fruit of happiness.

MK defines ਸੰਝ as:

ਸੰਧ੍ਯਾ. ਸੂਰਜ ਛਿਪਣ ਦਾ ਵੇਲਾ. ਸ਼੍ਯਾਮ. ਆਥਣ.