Sikh Regiment In Congo Scandal

dalsingh101

http://www.hindustantimes.com/Indian-Army-probing-sexual-abuse-charges-against-UN-peacekeepers-in-Congo/Article1-706834.aspx

http://www.indianexpress.com/news/indian-army-probes-reports-of-its-un-peacekeepers-.../800244/

http://expressbuzz.com/nation/army-probes-soldiers’-sexual-misconduct/282228.html

http://ibnlive.in.com/generalnewsfeed/news/sexual-misconduct-allegations-against-indian-troops-in-congo/717700.html

Edited by dalsingh101

In the British Indian army, the British enforced the Sikh soldiers to follow Sikh rehet maryadha. Any disobedience from the Sikh rehet meant the soldier would be punished by the British officers. This was also told to me by a Buzurg about 12 years ago who was in the Sikh regiment in his younger years during the British Raaj.

Sikh soldiers back then had very high moral and ethical values. These Sikh soldiers were very conservative Sikhs and would end up forming the backbone of the Sikh Panth during the British Raaj. Most of the members of the Singh Sabha movement, Akali Movement, Babbar Akali movement, and even the Gadhar movement were former soldiers. The first thing the Indian government did during the so called independence in 1947 was to secularize the Indian army. Since 1947 the Sikh officers have become the most secular, liberal minded section of Sikh society. Almost all their daughters have Hindu sounding names and even marry Hindu men instead of Sikh men.

So I'm not surprised seeing the low moral and ethical values of post 1947 Sikh soldiers of the Indian army.

Edited by Mithar

In the British Indian army, the British enforced the Sikh soldiers to follow Sikh rehet maryadha. Any disobedience from the Sikh rehet meant the soldier would be punished by the British officers. This was also told to me by a Buzurg about 12 years ago who was in the Sikh regiment in his younger years during the British Raaj.

Sikh soldiers back then had very high moral and ethical values. These Sikh soldiers were very conservative Sikhs and would end up forming the backbone of the Sikh Panth during the British Raaj.

I'm not fully convinced about this. That book I posted about earlier contains extracts from letters that suggest that some Indian (including Sikh) troops had relationships with French women in WW1.

Of the recent accusations I'd say the rape and sex with minors are the more serious.

In this article a French resistance fighter claims some rapes took place by Indian soldiers in WW2:

It was during this time that they [indian soldiers] gained a wild and loathsome reputation amongst the civilian population.

The former French Resistance fighter, Henri Gendreaux, remembers the Legion passing through his home town of Ruffec: "I do remember several cases of rape. A lady and her two daughters were raped and in another case they even shot dead a little two-year-old girl."

Edited by dalsingh101

Since 1947 the Sikh officers have become the most secular, liberal minded section of Sikh society. Almost all their daughters have Hindu sounding names and even marry Hindu men instead of Sikh men.

India is already paying price for this.There is already shortage of 14,000 officers.Now the best men are not at all interested in joining army ,only the 2nd or third grade quality apply for army