Sanskrit Meanings (Reference To Raagmala)

WJKK WJKF,

its been a long time since i asked anything.. its soo interesting to just read the archive folders.. :)

ok.. i was reading yesterday some old threads on raagmala and someone posted what bhai kulbir singh (tapoban) posted abt raagmala.. specially that he read the meanings done by baba Gurbachan Singh ji bhindrawaley and he found it absurd, non-sensical from grammar point of view etc etc., in other words complete rejection.

so, i started reading it from Gurbani paath darpan, its quite interesting.. but i m stuck in 3rd line where babaji says that "panch" means sreshth. i checked many dictionaries but found tht panch means 5?

i know i'll be stuck in future lines too as i progress.. so its better to know what dictionary to follow or how to know the meanings? same goes with bairangan (angan means limb.. wht does bai stands for)..

i guess thts why kulbir singh ji told tht the meanings of words were not correct!!

Is Kulbir Shah a linguist of North indian languages/dialects?

Curious, I gather you were looking at only Panjabi dictionaries, no? Maybe , in this context 'panch' is not a panjabi word.

PS you're right about the archived threads: a goldmine of knowledge! probs the best one out of all the sikh websites.

yes... i m loving.. archiveed folders.. though some posts in archived folders give reference to more older post.. but i guess they r too old and hence cant open.. N30.. figure it out plz

i m looking into sansrit to hindi/punjabi/english.. but no good dictionary online...

apart from kulbir singh proficiency in linguistics.. it doesnt matter to me.. all i want to know whre to get sanskrit meanings .. any dictionary online?

i m getting very confused..

i recently got married and my wife's brother is hardcore akj.. i m not ..neither my wife.. but i respect akj

then one day he asked me abt usual raagmala stuff.. i said buddy i heard baba gurbachan singh ji's katha.. and i m satisfied.. even if its not gurbani.. i wud accept the punishment of reading extra than not reading it. Period. he is cool.. he never makes a fuss..

anywys.. when i went deeper read gurbani paath darpan... the meanings used for words.. i want to know how/where did he got it?

for example.. taal in gurbani can be used for pond, sarovar, hrida, etc

but panch? i want to know how is panch = sreshth (most praised, highest, etc)?

thx

panch is also used for the word councillor, as in a member of a council, with Sir-Panch meaning the Head Councillor.

I wouldnt worry too much about Kulbir Singh's opinion on things, as Akj accept Gurbani on a mainly, if not wholly viakaran arth basis. ie a very transliteral basis.

Gurbani Paath Darpan has answered all the questions that the anti ragmala unit have thrown up.

I read it a few days ago, i have read it before but reading it again you always pick up things that you havenbt noticed 1st time around. and I noticed how Sant Ji has told about Raags and how they sing ustat of Waheguru Ji, and how they are so deep and i began to think of the kirtan scene and it became clearer why Akj and other have issue with raagmala. They have no understanding of raag, which is why they play kirtan the way they do, and dont understand raagmala.

THis is very visible from their usual rhetoric that Raagmala is an incomplete list of raags within Aad Guru Sahib.