Khanda?

Khanda is becoming more like fashion these days. I know for sure that "teenagers Sikhs" don't even know the history or what it represents but they are always in a first row to have it on their car's or love to have GOLD khandas in their chain to show that they belong to sikhism.

Don't you think that "Khanda" is getting misused?

Let's discuss. Bring as much as information you can so whoever reads it can use it to inform others what it represents.

Awesome topic.. right place and right timing.. since vaishakhi is coming.. you will see lot of that.. khanda design for our youths.. khanda on the golden chain and havin can of beer what they prefer to call "vaishaki mela" instead of relegious event :roll: ...

From what i see... its not their fault... its all ignorance..once you talk in there language and in their fashion.. you will see the postivity from our fellow sikh youths...

for example... heard of dhadi-jhata remix.. its awesome... we are plannin to do some seeva in toronto to youths.. like distribute dhadi-jhata remix wih hip-hop beats cds's to the youth.. so they can listen to it... and say wow.. its beautiful the sikh history, shaaheds and akal purkh

yeh i definitly agreee with u there - ok in a way to give youth a flag with a khanda on there - it is just like the nishaan sahib - which u should dearly respect - but people hold a nishaan sahib in their hands and they drink - smoke or watever

who knows - someone can come home and throw it onto the floor - its this lack of education which makes u debate about this stuff :cry:

people go put ek onkar tatoos on their hands - or khandey on their arms.... and never think twice about what they are doin with the same hand - its disrespectful :twisted:

and anyway - tatoos are against sikhi anyway - cos ur not meant to ruin ur body in anyway - even if it is a khanda... :roll: :roll:

the worst one are those t shirts - they have a khanda in the middle - and "putt jattan de" around it .... lol how stupid is that - the person who designed that should get slaps :x :shock: :x :shock:

Guest kaur1699

the worst one are those t shirts - they have a khanda in the middle - and "putt jattan de" around it .... lol how stupid is that - the person who designed that should get slaps :x :shock: :x :shock:

tru say...

u guys hav said everything there is to say...

:wink:

• 2 weeks later...

i agree wid al of u.

Da Khanda shud b treatd like da nishan sahib.

our 10th guru placed da khanda on his head.......the highest place...givin it respect

i fink its so stupid wen youth sikhs get khanda n ek onkaar tatoos dun.

dey also wear khanda rings on der fingers n dey dnt realise dat dey go piss wid dat hand too.

dey gt no rite bn sikhs.

dey fink dat dey r bad boys showing off sikhism bt in reality dey r disgracing our religon.

sikhism is bout getn closer to Waheguru.

nt showing off.

everything u have said is true, but i think alot of it comes down to lack of knowledge. they may not realise that what they are doing is wrong, they are proud to be sikh, and this is their way of showing it, it may not neccesarily be the right way, but maybe thats the only way they know how, they just have to be shown the right way of doing it i suppose. obviously their will always bo some who are doing out of disrespect but isn't up to us 2 show these ppl that what they are doin is wrong. someone mentioned about kids where t-shirts, and necklaces, but their nieve and young, they have to shown the right way of showing hoe prout they are

Like it or not being Sikh and proud of it is "cool" and while said coolness remains ppl will be getting khanday shaved into the back of there heads and other such besharami as has already been said its all about education

10th guru placed da khanda on his head.

As i understand it non of the Gurus designed our present days "khanda" embelem i think it was used by bhandha bahadhur originally might be wrong but tahst what ive read.

The pictures were all done in hindsite = as far as i am aware there were no portraits done of any of the gurus ever - and everything we see now is an "artists impression".

• 2 weeks later...

Sat Sri Akal:

Here's a URL to an article from the Sikh Naujawan Sabha Malaysia. (http://www.snsm.org.my/library/articles/khalsa_insignia.htm).

I do not wish to cut and paste, as the bottom of the page has a copyright symbol. But DO read it. It explains the Nishan Sahib, colors of Sikhism and many other things.

fateh sukhsingh

giving someone a beatin will not solve anything - u cannot teach anyone with force

if u wish to teach them a lesson - do it by asking them questions which will make them understand what they are doing

making someone understand their mistakes will be more effective then a beating

fateh