It's A Black Boy!

HSD1

I think the above would have more likely been the case with the new born's maternal grandma. Now she did like a bit of dark meat..........

Britain’s Baby Bump

By LIONEL SHRIVER - The New York Times - July 22, 2013

THE birth of the prince of Cambridge is the worst possible subject for a cynic like me. All we naysayers and pooh-poohers are obliged to stuff a sock in it. You simply cannot, you cannot, be down on the royal baby.

It’s strange, because aside from its inexhaustible capacity to cause traffic jams around Buckingham Palace for another pomp-laden Trooping the Color, the British monarchy wields no real power. The firstborn of the Duchess of Cambridge (that’s Kate Middleton to you) being third in line for the throne is of no more worldly import than my being third in line at my local London Tesco.

So why has The Daily Mail created a glossy Royal Baby Magazine? Why was there a Royal Baby app to follow the minute-by-minute progress of Kate’s pregnancy? And why was it just one of many: Guess the Name of the Royal Baby, Royal Baby Slots Gaming and Royal Baby Run, in which your avatar walks with the anointed pipsqueak balanced on a velvet pillow?

Meanwhile, the British are expected to lavish $95 million on sparkling wine to toast the birth; $38 million on celebratory party food; $86 million on commemorative memorabilia, from booties to cookies; $117 million on DVDs and books, including a history of the diapers that have clad the royal baby bottom; and $37 million on royal baby-themed toys. You can buy royal baby burp cloths and royal baby potty trainers. Little wonder that, for us hardhearted skeptics, as far back as December some wag started to market “royal” sick bags.

All this, and Britain is still crawling out from a painful recession. But perhaps that’s part of the point. Fervor over the royal pregnancy and birth distracts the masses from their enormous British Gas bills. The Wimbledon champ Andy Murray and the Tour de France winner Chris Froome aside, Britain’s been pretty grim since 2008, with the worst of both worlds: relentless legislative rhetoric about “austerity,” while the British budget continues to grow. You can’t fault the careworn commoners for latching on to an occasion of unqualified pleasantness — especially when it’s the firstborn grandchild of their beloved Diana, Princess of Wales.

Besides, it may be irrational to go into ecstasies about the continuation of a politically disenfranchised monarchy, but nations are not rational constructs, and the history of Britain is told in kings and queens.

But British culture isn’t what it used to be: it has been compromised by a deluge of imports like “Mad Men” and “World War Z” (that’s “World War Zed”), unprecedented immigration and European Union trampling on national sovereignty.

The British hold on to their sense of themselves by the fingernails, and when it comes to identity you take what you can get — especially if the national window dressing draws a handsome whack of tourist dollars. However decorative the institution, at least for the British this birth symbolically perpetuates the endurance of their own country.

More baffling is the hoo-ha in the United States. Dozens of the cameras outside St. Mary’s Hospital, where the duchess delivered her child, are American. Two of the major TV networks have anchors in London to cover the royal birth.

Have we no shame? Did we not cut our apron strings to the British monarchy emphatically and at some cost? So why do so many Americans seem to believe that Elizabeth II, her curmudgeonly son Charles, his strapping sons Will and Harry, the winsome duchess and her newborn still belong to us?

My fellow Yanks never seem even slightly fascinated by the has-been royals who survive in other European countries. Americans care only about British royalty — which someone will have to explain to me. Maybe I’ve lived in Britain too long, because I’m stumped.

Yet for Britain, royal baby mania is wholesome enough, maybe even healthy. In contemporary Britain, privilege has inverted to disadvantage. Though the country must still harbor a secret aristocracy somewhere, you’re hard-pressed to find anyone who admits to belonging to it. The cut-glass English accent is virtually extinct, “innit” Estuary English far more fashionable — even the likes of George Osborne, the tony Etonian chancellor of the Exchequer, visits hoi polloi in factories and starts dropping his H’s.

The upper crust keeps its head down for good reason. Who would put themselves in the way of the free-floating ill-will, seething class envy and accusatory economic bitterness that poisons The Guardian’s letters to the editor? Contrary to their anachronistic reputation as civilized and polite, the modern British can be some of the nastiest, most resentful people on the planet.

The royal family is all that remains in Britain of an elite that cheerfully accepts its elevated status without embarrassment. The fresh start of a new generation has brought out a flush of good will, optimism and well-wishing that is a tonic for the British soul. My God, they’re acting nice — even toward a child who has more than a leg up, class-wise. Because you cannot, you cannot, be down on the royal baby.

Lionel Shriver is the author, most recently, of the novel “Big Brother.”

source: http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/23/op...aby-bump.html?

I think the above would have more likely been the case with the new born's maternal grandma. Now she did like a bit of dark meat..........

As well as gingers, journalists and pretty much anyone else. Though not any Singhs as far as I know. But seeing how she was treated by her inlaws and husband, it's no surprise.

Speaking of slags, did you see that Singh on that clip? You can actually see the moment after the black boy comment where he realises he wont get to say something. He looks like someone blew up the Golden Temple again. Though he did try to grab the gori presenter as she walked around the side but she was having none of it. Typical Singh lol. He was probably going to say something stupid anyway. I wonder if that foreigner got a beating from Sardar Ji for insulting Middleton Memsahib.

1 Well the monarchy do wield power. The Queen has had the ear of government for 60 years and has instructed them on what to do in certain situations like the Abu Qatada extradition. Last year some newspapers asled what will happen when Charles III gets the throne and whether he will enact things that reflect his attitudes to homeopathy or be a bit more serious. I'm surprised you didnt hear about this.

2 Well this is kind of the point. Britain is in a recession. People need their minds taken off it. They also need a reason to be more confident and spend more money. The Jubilee, followed by the Olympics, followed by a baby and God knows what next year is all about keeping Britain on the map, keep tourists and investors coming in to spend their money, using their money to create industries and work schemes to get the plebs back on the factory floor or picking in the fields. It's clear what's going on here. Hell, even the BBC are making shows for India that sell the idea of buying an education here. It's all about somthing for nothing with these people. Buy their education, buy their tat, buy an overpriced house and then get kicked out by the UKBA. Indians, especially our lot, are so thick they'll fall for it. I can see them turning up and bobbing their heads all the way thinking how great they are and how they are part of something so great when they are just getting fleeced. Fools and their money are easily parted.

3 A lot of Americans are just retarded. They celebrate they are independant but love the English monarchy as they cry about despots in other parts of the world. It's like the lunatic has taken control of the asylum. Anyway, would it be too far to assume the author is Jewish? If that is the case, no wonder the concept of anglo-cousins that ties the likes of Oz, NZ, Canuckistan and Yankeestan to the UK is a bit weird to him. To them it's perfectly reasonable. Of course some Sikhs think they are part of this big family too - or at least we like to kid ourselves that we are. If I could be bothered I would type out an analogy to what happened to our own Imperial Family in the late 19th century. But I'm sure some of you can figure it for yourselves.

4 If he lives in London, no wonder he cant find them. London is meant to be a multicultural mecca for businessmen and tourists all over the world to come and spend money. Outside the cities it feels like living in an episode of a rebooted Blackadder. Go to the agricultaral colleges or manor schools, tea rooms, rural restaurants, local white collar firms, NGO offices etc and it's packed to the rafters with toffs. The idea that these people all died or fled during the New Labour era were vastly exaggerated or optimistic. As for George Osbourne, it's been fashionable in high up circles to dress up and 'go local' for laughs for centuries now. It also makes him look like a man of the people, one in the eye to the old Left and that scatterbrained Milliband.

5 Oi! You cant say that about our Goreh Sahib! They are the most fairest, loving people on the planet! They give charity and aid to places they wrecked! They are only racist when they think you are out of earshot! They believe in values like freedom and democracy and justice when it suits them! They dress up their own wants as being good for you and part of Sarbat da Phalla but if you disagree they will guilt trip you into feeling like the dirty nignog you are! They put Singhs on tv occassionally! They looked after the Koh-i-Noor! They want to do great things for Sikhs it's just we dont ........ ah sod it, even I cant be this sarcastic.

Nice article, how did you get onto their site?

Edited by HSD1

Speaking of slags, did you see that Singh on that clip? You can actually see the moment after the black boy comment where he realises he wont get to say something. He looks like someone blew up the Golden Temple again. Though he did try to grab the gori presenter as she walked around the side but she was having none of it. Typical Singh lol. He was probably going to say something stupid anyway. I wonder if that foreigner got a beating from Sardar Ji for insulting Middleton Memsahib.

Never even noticed him before. Looked like a proper bum licker though.

Nice article, how did you get onto their site?

You can go to the site from here:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/23/opinion/britains-baby-bump.html

If the above turns in to a stub. just type in 'baby bump' into the NY times search engine.