Old Gurmukhi Scriptures

Peter_Pan

ਭਉ is bhau is fear.

ਭਾਉ is bhaav is love.

The real questiom what do these words mean when applied to the formless, nothing, void! ;)

ਓਅੰਕਾਰ ਓਅੰ

Oankar - That a in the Onkar is bad transiliteration. Whoever started it did us no good. The ਅ isn't pronounced, it's simply a holder for the tippi, since they never put a tippi on ਓ and traditionally never used a bindi either. Instead they used ਓਅੰ to mean ਓਂ

And ਓ is two vowels Au and with the nasal sound, it translates to Aunkar/Aumkar or Onkar.

Which is a composite of three continuous sounds A'kar, U'kar, N'kar (kar = continuous)

These are the only three sounds you could make if you had no tongue and lips (try it...made you smile :D ). Since they come prior to tongue and lips so they are considered the most primal sounds. They come before any other sounds. Hence they are known as the earliest sound currents of creation in Indic philosophy.

The more you know...

ਸੋ ਅਸਾ ਸੋ ਸੋਹੰ ਭਇਓ ਸੋਹੰ ਓਅੰਕਾਰ ਓਅੰ ਸੋਰਾਰਾ ਭਉ ਸਾਧੋ ਕਰੋ ਬਿਚਾਰਾ।

That is me, he is I that happened, that which is I is Oankar , Oansorara, the sadhus deliberate on fearing [that one].

You are close. ਸੋਰਾਰਾ might be slang for ਅਸਰਾਰ, which means continuous. I think it is written that way to rhyme with ਬਿਚਾਰਾ

Btw neither ਸੋਰਾਰਾ or ਅਸਰਾਰ show up in Guru Granth Sahib. Might be a modern word, which would hint at the date of this scripture.

I noticed how ਹੰ in ਸੋਹੰ is I, when continuous,ਕਾਰ, is ਹੰਕਾਰ, "continuous I" which leads to symptoms - selfishness, egotism and pride.

ਸਭ ਜੋਗਨ ਮੈ ਜੌਗ ਸਭ ਗਿਆਨਨ ਕੋ ਗਿਆਨ।
The yogi of all yogas, the knower of all knowledge
ਸਭ ਸਿਧਨ ਕੋ ਸਿਧ ਹੈ ਤਤ ਸੋਰਨ ਕੋ ਧਿਆਨ।
The Siddh of all Siddhs, ????
Strongly resembles Jaap Sahib
Also this by Guru Arjun Dev ji
ਨਾਮਨ ਮਹਿ ਤੇਰੋ ਪ੍ਰਭ ਨਾਮਾ ਗਿਆਨਨ ਮਹਿ ਗਿਆਨੀ ॥
Among names, Your Name, God, is the most respected. Among the wise, You are the Wisest.
So I think what he is saying is.
ਸਭ ਜੋਗਨ ਮੈ ਜੌਗ ਸਭ ਗਿਆਨਨ ਕੋ ਗਿਆਨ।
You are the Yog in Yogis, you are the Light of Enlightened.
ਸਭ ਸਿਧਨ ਕੋ ਸਿਧ ਹੈ ਤਤ ਸੋਰਨ ਕੋ ਧਿਆਨ।
You are the Spiritual Perfection of the Siddhs, you are the Focused Concentration of the Noisy Reality.
ਸੋਰਨ might be referring to ਸੋਰ
ਤਤ is essence, truth, reality
ਧਿਆਨ is meditation, concentration
Edited by BhagatSingh

These are the only three sounds you could make if you had no tongue and lips (try it...made you smile :D ). Since they come prior to tongue and lips so they are considered the most primal sounds. They come before any other sounds. Hence they are known as the earliest sound currents of creation in Indic philosophy.

The more you know...

Where do you get this from?

It is derived.

I was listening to Sadhguru of Isha Foundation. He said that Aun/Aum is a syllable everyone, even those who are mute can pronounce since you don't need a tongue. Even the deaf can do it. It's a mantra everyone can chant.

(the m in Aum is a nasal sound, not m)

So then I meditated on it. I noticed that just your vocal chords alone and vibration in the chest and nose will produce Aum.

From that I deduced that Aum is considered the most primal syllable because these sounds available prior to any other sounds we make. These sounds transform into all our words, when they pass through the mouth.

Thus Aum becomes a metaphor for the creation itself. EkOnkar, One Continuous Aum creates all distinct sounds/duality when it passes through the mouth/mind.

From the first page of the Janam Sakhi. The Panjabi was surprisingly akin to the modern form. That word in red is troubling me though....Bhagat! lol

ਉਨੋ ਪਾਧੇ ਪਾਸ ਲੈਗਇਆ। ਤਾ ਕਾਲੂ ਨੈ ਕਹਿਆ "ਪਾਧਾ ਜੀ ਨਾਨਕ ਨੋ ਪੜਾਉ"।। "ਮੈ ਤੇਰੀ ਬਹੁਤ ਸੇਵਾ ਕਰਾਗਾ"।। ਤਾ ਪਾਧੇ ਕਹਿਆ "ਭਲਾ ਜੀ" ਤਬ ਪਾਧੇ ਪਟੀ ਲਿਖਿ ਦਿਤੀ।। ਤਾ ਸ੍ਰੀ ਗੁਰੂ ਨਾਨਕ ਜੀ ਇਕ ਦਿਨ ਪੜੇ ਦੂਜੇ ਦਿਨ ਚੁਪ ਕਰਿ ਰਹੇ।। ਤਾ ਪਾਧੇ ਕਹਿਆ "ਨਾਨਕ ਜੀ, ਪੜਦਾ ਕਿਉ ਨਹੀ?" ਤਾ ਗੁਰੂ ਨਾਨਕ ਜੀ ਕਹਿਆ "ਪਾਧਾ ਜੀ ਤੂੰ ਪੜਿਆ ਹੈ ਜੁ ਮੈਨੂ ਪੜਾਵਦਾ ਹੈ?" ਤਾ ਪਾਧੇ ਕਹਿਆ "ਜੀ ਮੈ ਸਭੁ ਕਿਛੁ ਪੜਿਆ ਹਾ।। ਜਮਾ ਖਰਚੁ, ਲੇਖਾ ਪਟੀਆ, ਪੜੀ ਸਭੁ ਮੈਨੂ ਆਵਦਾ ਹੈ"।।

ਤਾ ਸ੍ਰੀ ਗੁਰੂ ਬਾਬਾ ਨਾਨਕ ਕਹਿਆ ਏਨੀ ਪੜੀ ਗਲਿ ਫਾਹੇ ਪਉਦੇ ਹੈ ਨਿ।। ਧਰਮਰਾਇ ਦੇ ਬਧਾ ਜਾਦਾ ਹੈ ਏਹੁ ਪੜਣਾ ਬਾਦ ਹੈ।। ਤਾ ਸ੍ਰੀ ਗੁਰੂ ਜੀਉ ਸਬਦ (?) ਇਕੁ ਸਿਰੀ ਰਾਗ ਵਿਚਿ ਕਹਿਆ।।

And so he took him to a teacher. "Teacher ji, educate Nanak," said Kalu [Nanak's father] "I will do a lot for you" [in return].

"Okay sir." said the teacher, writing upon his board. Sri Guru Nanak ji studied for one day and remained silent on the next. Then the teacher spoke: Nanak sir, why aren't you studying?" to which Guru Nanak replied "Teacher sir, have you studied all of what you are teaching me?" to which the teacher replied "Sir, I've learned everything, accountancy, keeping records .....?? I know all of this." Upon which Guru Baba Nanak said: "Doesn't this education place a noose around ones neck. Dharamraj's bind is greater, this schooling leads to conflict." Then Sri guru ji uttered a shabad in the Sri Raag metre:

ਜਾਲਿ ਮੋਹੁ ਘਸਿ ਮਸੁ ਕਰਿ ਮਤਿ ਕਾਗਦੁ ਕਰਿ ਸਾਰੁ ॥
Burn emotional attachment, and grind it into ink. Transform your intelligence into the purest of paper.

ਭਾਉ ਕਲਮ ਕਰਿ ਚਿਤੁ ਲੇਖਾਰੀ ਗੁਰ ਪੁਛਿ ਲਿਖੁ ਬੀਚਾਰੁ ॥
Make the love of the Lord your pen, and let your consciousness be the scribe. Then, seek the Guru's Instructions, and record these deliberations.

ਲਿਖੁ ਨਾਮੁ ਸਾਲਾਹ ਲਿਖੁ ਲਿਖੁ ਅੰਤੁ ਨ ਪਾਰਾਵਾਰੁ ॥੧॥
Write the Praises of the Naam, the Name of the Lord; write over and over again that He has no end or limitation. ||1||

Ang 16 Line 5 Sri Raag: Guru Nanak Dev Ji

Edited by dalsingh101

I got to say: when I was a kid, I NEVER thought I'd ever be able to read old lariwaar stuff like this........

• 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...