Knees/anthritus

Singh559

there are a lot of people in our local gurdwara who cannot sit on the floor properly, and even sometimes i need to sit on a chair in langar, because of my knees. arthritus, sometimes they bloody kill, other times its tolerable. which is why i keep an open mind this. proper maryada as Bhaji Pal says is on the floor, but can people's handicaps count?

Some wheelchair bound Sikhs come into Darbar, but we cant say to them sit on the floor can we? or can we?

Irrelevant, but make sure you get enough omega 3 fatty acids. Flax in my opinion is the best source.

it may be irrelevant to you, but its very relevant to a lot of people.

I meant my reply was irrelevant to the OP's topic. Agreed, it is very relevant to a lot of people.

A lot of Amritdharis go to the doctor and get prescribed Omega-3 fish oil because that's the "easiest" form of getting omega-3, but you can get even more from flax powder. Can mix that in a shake or put it in roti.

Helps with muscle development and joints.

On the flaxseed tip.

Ground flaxseed on its own can be a bit much after a while. If you're in the UK, go to Aldis and find their ground flaxseed with gojiberry and pumpkin seeds. It doesn't taste too bad at all.

i will share a tasty recipe of flaxseed which you will lovingly eat ..its supposed to be had after a meal.

Take flaxseeds, sesame seeds , ajwain . The quantity would be like sesame seeds should be half the quantity of flax seeds and ajwain should be less than 1/4 quantity of sesame seeds . Mix all of the seeds and ajwain , then add salt and freshly sqeezed lemon juice . Lemon juice can be added as to the tolerance to the citric taste. Mix all of this well and let it rest till you see moistness has reduced. It should take like an hour or so.

Now, take a vessel in which you can roast this mixture and on low/med flame roast this till it gets crispy. Keep sauteing, you get the aroma and understand the point it has started cooking.

This is a very tasty mouth freshner to be had after a meal , it will ease out digestion and will be nutrional too.

Nimbu (and I think Ajwain too) should be good for digestion pretty much in any recipe. Has anyone tried adding ground flaxseed to any old Sabji recipe? Me thinks the strong masala in the Sabji should mask out any other taste!

As for the thread, if we are going to start talking about puratan maryada here then they hardly used any furniture at all. They didn't use any in their homes and they didn't use any in temples. The puratan culture was always connected to the five elements: water, fire, air, earth and sky. They sprinkled water into their scalp before eating. They sprinkled water throughout their house after doing patth. When they did paath they would light a small diva. No electricity so fire was used sometimes. Their air was much cleaner. Their house didn't cover up the earth below or there was stone or marble there. Plenty of windows, with spaces without roofs inside the house. They slept when it got dark, woke up when the sun came out. They were completely in touch with all the elements, which our environments severely lack today. So if you are serious about this, then perhaps its time to go deeper than simply chairs, and look at the big picture.

Edited by BhagatSingh

Jaikaara,

The end goal always seems daunting and unreachable. You have to break it down into small steps, and focus on "what is the next step from my current position". E.g I can start by sprinkling water into my scalp before eating, and in to the house after I meditate. This I am able to maintain over a month. Ok what is the next step? Fire maybe harder to bring in. So maybe I can improve the air quality. I go out and buy certain plants... and so on.

Edited by BhagatSingh

Be careful. Once you heat up ground flaxseed, it loses most of its nutritional value defeating the whole purpose of consumption. So you have to eat it like a cold porridge

So can you heat flax seed or not?

You can, but it loses its nutritional value. It will probably still have a rich fibre content but loses its omega oil.

Apparently even a little heat can oxidize it.

Edited by dalsingh101