Sri Gur Sobha: authenticity & dating

SikhKhoj

Dal how did you find this out? Its published by IOSS which is not known as close to the SGPC.

​The translator and people in the IOSS told me via email. They were lacking funds for publishing the 2nd volume and their attempts to get funding from abroad was unsuccessful (they asked me but you know how the situation is here for some of us in these austere times.....tight!). So they gave it to the SGPC. They were clearly frustrated by the delay.

SGPC was sitting on it for years. The 2nd volume was completed about the same time as the  1st, but we had to wait a good few years for it to come out in printed form. I think IOSS got fed up in the end and released it as a PDF first on their site.   

Did you ask them what the cost is for one translation of a decent sized Granth?

​If memory serves me right they mentioned a figure between £1000 - £2000 (?) which also (understandably) included renumeration to the translator who'd spent a few years on the project.

Thats a small amount for our community in comparison to its immense value. If we only did not direct our resources towards useless things like protesting against Modi, building luxurious Gurdwaras when there already are in the area or rebuilding mosques in Punjab...

Another fact is that the manuscripts either say 1701 or 1741. Trying to find a date near 1708 would defy all existing proofs just for the sake of obtaining a 'contempnary source'. Gal khatm.

​with all due respect to your scholarly endeavours for me (and i would say others here) it never really started.

Thats a small amount for our community in comparison to its immense value. If we only did not direct our resources towards useless things like protesting against Modi, building luxurious Gurdwaras when there already are in the area or rebuilding mosques in Punjab...

​not to mention the crores they spent on Khalsa Virasat at Sri Anandpur Sahib.

​The translator and people in the IOSS told me via email. They were lacking funds for publishing the 2nd volume and their attempts to get funding from abroad was unsuccessful (they asked me but you know how the situation is here for some of us in these austere times.....tight!). So they gave it to the SGPC. They were clearly frustrated by the delay.

SGPC was sitting on it for years. The 2nd volume was completed about the same time as the  1st, but we had to wait a good few years for it to come out in printed form. I think IOSS got fed up in the end and released it as a PDF first on their site.   

​Good to see that someone is in touch with the Indian scholars. I know what you mean about austerities and all that. Just a shame that Gurdwaras like my local one can give £1500 to a cricket club that has no links/connection with it to get the presidents face in the local paper, but when it comes to real investment for the Panth, they are not so forthcoming.

If any issue like this comes to your attention again Dal bring it to the forum and lets see if we can do something here.

​with all due respect to your scholarly endeavours for me (and i would say others here) it never really started.

​Says the one who quotes half lines from here and there, and doesn't know basic words like chaant is out to defend illiterate babeh.

Anyways, ah chak, whats so hard about contacting these scholars? You don't need an UFO or Brahmgyanta. Are you up for donating? Lets get started then.

http://sikhinstitute.org/res.htm

INSTITUTE OF SIKH STUDIES

Gurdwara Sri Guru Singh Sabha, Kanthala
Opp Tribune Chowk, Indl. Area Phase II
Chandigarh - 160 002 (India)
Phone 91 172 2642580; Fax-cum-Phone 2642581
E-mail : iosschd@gmail.com or ioss@satyam.net.in

Have a look at this: 

http://www.sikhawareness.com/topic/14208-sri-gur-sobha-by-dr-ganda-singh/#comment-131935

We all first started discussing this 5 years ago! lol!!

Edited by dalsingh101

You know I had a quick flick through the translation last night and one thing that struck me was how Sainapati moves across space in his narrative, he goes from the inauguration of the Khalsa in Anandpur to the impact of the new rehat (in quite fine detail) with the Delhi sangat.

I don't think he is likely to have been darting between Delhi and Panjab so it implies that he relied on other sources for some of his information. So we have to question how much of his account is based on what he personally witnessed and how much on what he subsequently learned from other sources. 

ਕੁਛੁ ਸੁਨੀ ਕੁਛੁ ਉਕਤ ਕਰ ਬਰਨਤ ਹੋਂ ਅਬ ਹੋਇ।

ਕਰਨਹਾਰ ਕਰਤਾ ਧਨੀ ਜੋ ਕੁਛੁ ਕਰੈ ਸੁ ਹੋਇ।

I used some of what I heard and some of what was previously mentioned

I think he may be saying he used information he directly heard himself, and secondary information (i.e. written sources like Bachitar Natak and obviously people who had heard what was going on at places he wasn't like Delhi).

The line comes in the chapter of Anandpur war. The fact that he wrote the line here is very important.
Lets assume he started writing it chronologically as time passed and as some have claimed, then it means 'hearsay' part was about Anandpur and not the latter (otherwise it would have been used in later parts, the parts about Delhi). Now the question arises why a  'darbari kavi' need secondary sources and hearsay about the times he supposedly lived there ? Couldn't he simply ask the Singhs with whom he lived or the Guru? Lets think logically.

How would you translate it if:

ਕੁਛੁ ਸੁਨੀ; ਕੁਛੁ ਉਕਤ ਕਰ; ਬਰਨਤ ਹੋਂ ਅਬ ਹੋਇ।

Edited by SikhKhoj

And this time I want you to look at other possible meanings of ookat:

ਬਿਆਨ ਕਰਨ ਦੀ ਸ਼ਕਤੀ, ਦਲੀਲ, ਯੁਕਤੀ, ਦਲੀਲ-ਬਾਜ਼ੀ, ਜੁਗਤਿ, ਢੰਗ, ਤਰੀਕਾ, ਵਿਓਂਤ ਬੁੱਧੀ। ਉਦਾਹਰਣ: ਅਪਨੀ ਉਕਤਿ ਖਲਾਵੈ ਭੋਜਨ ਅਪਨੀ ਉਕਤਿ ਖੇਲਾਵੈ॥ {ਧੰਨਾ ੫, ੩੯, ੧:੧ (680)}। ਸਗਲ ਉਕਤਿ ਉਪਾਵਾ॥ {ਸਿਰੀ ੫, ਅਸ ੨੭, ੮:੧ (71)}।

Lets play a small game Dal, since you love Punjabi so much. 

Let's not play games, let's talk to each other like adults instead. 

Anyway, what are trying to get at?