Sikh girl killed...

altho i dont agree about her dad killin her - do u blame him??? she was goin out with a a guy .. 2ndly he was white.. 3rdly i doubt he was sikh .. they caught her with him once and im sure that they would have talked about it and told her not to see this guy again... and then she leaves a note for her parents - makin them look like fools - the people who had given birth to her and brought her up - is this how they should be repaid??

i feel sorry for her yes - but i dont blame her dad doin what he did - the daughter is the izzat of the family - and if shes doin stuff like that it would send folks round the bend.... u play with fire ur gonna get burnt

17 years old girl and left house for love? wow! I think girls need to realise that it is easier for them to leave their houses for their Ranjah and Mirja but humilation which comes to their family from their relatives is not bearable...

I'm sorry to hear about her death but as I read this article it shows that her DAD was not that old type of dad who will not let his daughter go out at all and want her to get married as she turns 18 because as per article it shows that she was having company of her dad for Gym so in that case I would say that her Dad was not stereotype dad but he looks like quiet moderate.

I guess its hard for girls to live in dual culture. As I can see by myself that parents main concern is good house and lots of money so for that they work hard so their kids can live with all the pleasures but it most of the times gives them bad results because their kids don't get chance to stay home and learn about their own culture and they confuse themselves with western culture which is quiet easy to adopt when you always living in that culture.

Well, I can say one thing that parents should spend time with their kids and don't be so concerned about so much money and try to visit India and keep their kids well informed about their culture, tradition and religions.

Its sad news and I have sympathy with Atwal family but when you are emotionally disturbed these are the results you can expect. Girl is gone and Dad might get long sentence and rest of their family will suffer and in that case one good family is messed up. :cry: :cry:

fateh ji,

I agree with you Steel Bangle ji to the point where what she did was wrong, but what the father did was totaly wrong. There could be a possibility that the parents are also to be blamed for a her actions to a certain extent. I dont know her family or her, so cant point out the finger that who is wrong and who is not, but what the dad did was not right. Is this izzat greater than the life of your own flesh and blood?

Fateh ji

SBCS yeh i agree - everyone knows the story - the blame goes upon the parents "oh u didnt raise ur children properly" ..... theres an extent to which you can teach.... if a child doesnt want to respect you or follow what you have taught - or not think about the impact ur actions will have upon ur parents... how is that the parents fault... :?

i know some people whos parents are really nice - they are gursikhs but their children are out doin all sorts when their mom goes to do raul at the gurdwara.... is this the parents fault???

its a 2 way situation of respect and understanding between parent / child... i hate the idea that some kids dont think about their parents who raised them for say 20 yrs and then they decide to run away from home for a person they met 2 weeks ago :roll:

why's everyone ignoring my post

the son openly had a relationship with a white girl, but they kill the girl for doing the same thing... that's some seriously messed up, retarded double standards our society has, and it's ridiculous....

if you're gonna kill the daughter, you best be ready to kill the son too....

why's everyone ignoring my post

the son openly had a relationship with a white girl, but they kill the girl for doing the same thing... that's some seriously messed up, retarded double standards our society has, and it's ridiculous....

if you're gonna kill the daughter, you best be ready to kill the son too....

Dear JSB,

Read that article once again you have missed these lines.

Family friends who attended the same Sikh temple as the Atwals say the loving, tight-knit family didn't have a problem with Amandeep dating outside the community. Amandeep's older brother, Nawinder, at one time had a white girlfriend the family knew about.

And, I personally believe that killing doesn't solve anything but makes it more worst, and there should not be any descrimination and parensts should take the same approach for male and female kids when it comes to issues like this.

i have a question??? Why we all punjabi have to face this problem. I know few of friends who were in love, but they all failed at last because either they were poor or different caste. And this things are getting more worst. Now parents start killing too. Why our punjabi parents don't believe in love. Even if its true love they still don't believe??

Just one suggestion to everyone. DON'T FALL IN LOVE.

Sat Sri Akal:

A common occurance in a nearby town to where I live. A lot of Punjabi people who complain time and time again that their kids are dating, partying etc. Then you have a look at the parents. What do they do? Party, drink, try to be more "American" (read as abandon their cultural roots).

What do you think the kids are going to do?

Even had one story of a family whose kid ran away with a girl. His father stated that he would "straighten him out" aka. beat the living life out of him if he ever saw him. Then you look at the dad, an alcoholic. Gee, what did you think your kid was going to do?

I can't believe what some of the posts read.... dear Lord...

On one hand, everyone keeps preaching about how men and women are equal in sikh society and then other hand they go on saying that the girl's izzat is the family izzat and that whatever she does matterz....Excuse Me!!!!!!!

Hello ppl... that's pure hypocrisy... if a guy does something and gets away with it, then why not the girl after all... men and women are equal and should be looked at in the same way....

It's this kind of thinking that I find appalling... I'm very very very disappointed in the response...

And even if she was in the wrong, it gives her father no right to go ahead and take her life... if he was upset then he should have just let her go and do what she wanted...

Sometimes it is thinking like the ones that I've encountered reading this thread that makes me think that there's no way I'm gonna marry a sikh guy... Who do u think u are? answer that plz... what right is it in our religion for one being to take another ones in anger or revenge... isn't that what everyone's been posting against??????????

Right now i'm just in pure shock how some things could have been said...

Hypocrisy, that's all there is here it seems... plz don't go around preaching about sikhism until u get urself pure...

Canadian Jatti,

As far this case concern. Her father didnt kill her because of her different relegion but different color afraid of punjabi soceity surrounding him. I dont see her father to be an sikh preacher or anything like that.

So linking this case with orthodox sikhs is an mistake!

You said:

Sometimes it is thinking like the ones that I've encountered reading this thread that makes me think that there's no way I'm gonna marry a sikh guy... Who do u think u are? answer that plz... what right is it in our religion for one being to take another ones in anger or revenge... isn't that what everyone's been posting against??????????

Here you are generalising. You cant paint all with same brush.

Also most of hideous crime related like these exist in punjabi culture. And few are relegious related. But stats holds..punjabi cultural is more responsible for crimes like murder, gang-related violence, rape, abuse, harrasment.

Neo Ji, u've missed my point...

I'm upset at the response that was given by Steel Ji...

That the father had a rite to it, that he was driven by the daughter and that the reason for that is that the girl is the family izzat...

both son and daughter should be considered to be the family izzat and if one makes a mistake and is punished, so should the other sibling...

How can ppl go around saying things like sikhism believes men and women are equal and then say that the girl was all wrong and that her father did it in family interest... cuz that's what i'm gettin here...

I'm not attacking all, but it what I see... I read and contemplate and so far what i've read is not at all what I would expect from a sikh.... we're jumping back to judging ppl...(and we've had a big enuff discussion on that...)

Her father was convincted with 2nd degree murder. I think the charges were fair. The reason i dont think he got charged with 1st degree murder. Its because its an crime of insanity proved wrong otherwise in court of law.

But neo ji....don't u see i'm not talking about the father...

i'm talking about the mentality of the ppl on this board...

Jo onay karna see, oh kargeya... kuch ni hosakhna hun... he'll go to jail, family lost their daughter and everything is upside down.... he's lost it all and he prolly knows it and is regretting whatever he did....

But I'm more concerned about the ppl on this board who are Gursikhs and are saying things like I mentioned before.... thas not kewl....

Jsb you gotta understand the nature of the crime. Unfortuanetly, victim's family wont be able to look it from different views because the devastation they going through. Thats why we have canadian law system too look from different aspects.

Lets take this example for instance-

Couples were married. Boy/gal either one is cheating on the opposite sex. One day boy walk in the room saw his wife having intercourse with another men. The reaction(motive) on that time really matters. That reaction could be very insane and that could approach to insane hideous crimes.

Thats why law name it crime of insanity. Thus, relating to this suitation where reaction/motive is insane from her father could only be convincted 2nd degree murder.

she wasn't having sex with anybody, unless you can prove it! why do you make it seem like she committed rape on her family.

and maybe you should find some baani that says that the crime was ok. I would love to hear "it was in the heat of the moment" be used in the courtroom by the defence....

i'm sorry...your argument makes no sense, and it's absolutely ridicilous.

makes me wonder if you'd do the same to your daughter, IN THE HEAT OF THE MOMENT, of course... or wait.. am i twisting your words???

I never said she was having sex with anybody. I was givin you the example of crime of insanity.

Laws of god take cares of sinners after death. We are dealing the law and order of an government.

Above post wasnt my opnion but its in canadian charter rights and freedom. Look it up "Crime of insanity". I dont see this case as deliberately planned before! And lawmarkers didnt think otherwise either. But again only god knows everything. So have some faith in god. This temporary laws of country or world is not fruitful compare to laws of god which is much more severe because thats an punishment of an one's karma(soul) not temporary body.

I can't believe what some of the posts read.... dear Lord...

On one hand, everyone keeps preaching about how men and women are equal in sikh society and then other hand they go on saying that the girl's izzat is the family izzat and that whatever she does matterz....Excuse Me!

I think you are talking from the feminist point of view. Whites still beat/abuse/ threaten their wives and its common to see step daughters rapes in western countries in non indian houses. I think we are not worst same as those situations. If someone is saying that woman is a "Izaat" of family then where do you see ineqaulity?

Hello ppl... that's pure hypocrisy... if a guy does something and gets away with it, then why not the girl after all... men and women are equal and should be looked at in the same way....

It's this kind of thinking that I find appalling... I'm very very very disappointed in the response...

And even if she was in the wrong, it gives her father no right to go ahead and take her life... if he was upset then he should have just let her go and do what she wanted...

Right now i'm just in pure shock how some things could have been said...

Hypocrisy, that's all there is here it seems... plz don't go around preaching about sikhism until u get urself pure...

Canadian Jatti ji,

Do you think whatever she was doing you can call it sikh way of life? Where do you see her following Sikh way of life? Just because she was born in sikh family doesn't make her pure sikh? Then howcome she can deserve Sikh values and equality?

Can you get senior citizen rights? without getting old?

Can you get rights to fly Airplane without having license?

If you anwser is "no" to above questions then howcome she can get rights of sikhism? When she was not following sikh way of life?

Where in sikhism it says that date a guy behind your parents back?

Where in Sikhism it says that run away from home writing short note?

Can you show me any history of sikhs where it happend and it was allowed?

If you can't then admit that its a part of our so called punjabi culture and in that case she has been treated the punjabi culture way. Where women is not more than shoes of your feet. Do I make any sense?

Please, try to read it with open mind because I don't see anything which can convince us that whatever she was doing was a "sikh way of life" so in that case where in this holy world you are fighting for her rights of sikhism?

Everything is fair in love and war? But not in sikhism. If you want to get the rights of sikhism then be a sikh first, and live your life as per sikhism which has no place for betraying your family by dating someone behind their back and then running away from house. Please! give us a break here and don't make it a sikh way of life.

Rupy typing here.. 8) 8)

Alright, I shouldn't be talking here, but I am.

Canadian Jatti, what does sikhism have to do with anything like this. It's more of a punjabi culture thing. You got to understand girls are more than the boys ..cause you know we just are the best...So, therefore..(Don't ask me the logic, but its one of those facts you gotta accept) ...that girls have higher value or izzat of the family. And after all these years of hard work and dedication, its right for her to put her man, ( that she is only known for 3 years), in front of her mom and dad. Moreover, she was only seventeen, and still in parent's full custody- and not even legal!

It doesn't matter. I personally believe it was right for her father to do that to a certain extent. Hell yea, Just 'cause she ran off with gora, doesn't mean its not her daughter anymore. Though, I did feel sorry, but then I was like Hmmmmm!..Raised her for seventeen years, provided clothing, provided shelter, provided food, provided education, and the rest of the things it takes to raise a child..You know someone great said that it takes a village to raise a child. So you personally think it was right for her ( Amandeep Atwal) to turn her back and date a white guy. There shouldn't be no hiding or anything.

Like they say " Pyaar Ki Kiya, Jeh Kiya Hi Darr Keh." ..She even knew it was wrong, so why'd she even proceed any further. ..And if it was any serious relation- I am sure, she'd would have talked to her parents about it. And her parents would giver either a red light or a green light. At all means, it was not right for her to leave a note-and go on.

And in no means was she a gursikh-first of all if you look at her pictures-you can tell that she doesn't keep her kesh and stuff. So, sikhi is got really nothing to do. And the opinions of members, are just opinions of their own individual self, ..-Again Sikhi has nothing to do with any of this. So, lets not got Sikhi involved.Again, I am telling 101%- Probably Pre-Marital Sex- So again not even near Sikhi. So lets get punjabi culture in the spot light, not Sikhi.

By the way, I feel special, If I am told I hold a higher izzat in the family. Don't you?? :P:P:P

Where in sikhism it says that date a guy behind your parents back?

Where in Sikhism it says that run away from home writing short note?

Can you show me any history of sikhs where it happend and it was allowed?

very good. Are you a lawyer?

One mistake... The Father, recognized as a Sikh figure in society, therefore, as far as you know, is a Singh, a Sikh.

Where in Sikhi does it say it's OK to kill your daughter for such an act?