I have a inner conflict which I was hoping I could get some guidance on. I have been learning about sikhi for the past year and a half, reading many books I have fell in love with the religion. Sikhi has provided me with so many answers I needed however there is one thing I cannot get my head around. My parents are both atheists and to my understanding of Sikhi this means that there is no chance of them breaking the cycle of reincarnation and being at one with Wahegruru. This may sound abit odd as you may be thinking 'how can they be at one with Waheguru of they do not believe in him'... But I can't accept the fact that their lives are meaningless and hopeless? In the future I hope to fully commit to living the life of a sikh but I am concerned about what my parents/family would think as the majority of them are atheists as well and have no time for any religion. 

I have a inner conflict which I was hoping I could get some guidance on. I have been learning about sikhi for the past year and a half, reading many books I have fell in love with the religion. Sikhi has provided me with so many answers I needed however there is one thing I cannot get my head around. My parents are both atheists and to my understanding of Sikhi this means that there is no chance of them breaking the cycle of reincarnation and being at one with Wahegruru. This may sound abit odd as you may be thinking 'how can they be at one with Waheguru of they do not believe in him'... But I can't accept the fact that their lives are meaningless and hopeless? In the future I hope to fully commit to living the life of a sikh but I am concerned about what my parents/family would think as the majority of them are atheists as well and have no time for any religion. 

First of welcome to forum ji, hope you enjoy your stay.

I hope my thoughts and understanding may help in this case:

I think most western atheist form their beliefs based on dogmatic version of god projected/pushed on them by 
judeo Christian society contary to true Christian gnosticism mysticism.

While sikhi has bhagti-devotional aspect of Guru and Sikh (god and seeker), it also has more deeper relationship with god (Guru within more impersonal god/love) within our real self, more intimate personal relationship to our real self beyond mind, body senses.

So atheist are more likely inclined to relate themselves with personal relationship with their own self-atma and gurbani updesh - O mind you are pure light/knowledge recognize your true self than dogmatic interpretations of God.

Their life isn't meaningless and hopeless as one would think as good deeds count to get human life again and also ultimately from sikh absolute truth point of view, everything is expression of divine and ultimately there is no duality as such its all the play and expression of divine. They will only suffer reincarnation and samasara (suffering) only if they keep clinging/attached to their thoughts, belief, conditioned mind.

Its great news you wanted to commit to living the life of sikh. They might be curious regarding your new conversion for sure but its important you tell them our core beleifs which that sikhi is path of devotion and knowledge not path of judging others its about freeing soul from conditioned mind. It's more of religious-spiritual lucid flow life style in combination with soldier concept of raising voice against oppression than religion or cult type movement. 

Brother,

respect your parents and their views.  You see, even if one is born in Guru Ghar, that does not secure faith and devotion in us. It is all written from Dur Dargeh on our foreheads.

Just tell me, since we came into creation, how many parents have we all have had?  So, you see, our coming and being related to them, is nothing but all karmic account, when it is balanced, each one of us, goes his/her own way.

He is our True father and Mother and everything, it is to Him, whom we have to look and search for, to stay in peace forever, until then we shall we wandering aimlessly inthe creation.

Our relation with Him, is not to be publicized, we can lead a normal life, as a normal human being, but within we have to give our heart and mind to Wahiguru. It is an intimate relation with Him, but yes that much you can do, you may pray him, to give some Light of understanding to your parents, in order for them to believe and accept Him.  You see, even faith in Him, is His bakshish, nothing is in our hands.

But after this prayer before Him, leave it to Him and remain in His bhaana.

He knows best, what He has to do.

Does not the Bani say: Bin boleeya, sabh kich jaandaa...

God bless you.

Sat Sree Akal.

Welcome to the path

All who are born will be held accountable for their deeds. Mann, bach, karam (thoughts, speech and actions).

Belonging to a specific religion is not what brings goodnes to people - it is their deeds alone. 

There are two levels of "sucess" in Sikhi - the material and the spiritual
For the material, people will be reborn over and over again - into good lives, bad lives, netural lives etc.. This is not to be seen as punishment but rather as the consequences of one's deeds (whether good or bad).

on the spiritual level - for those who strive for liberation - it requires a very disciplined spiritual practice. Very few people attain this and it is actually the ambition and goal for a very few people on earth to attain liberation.

People are different, - some people strive for the highest goal and live a disciplined spiritual life, whereas a majotiry of people do good deeds and merely wish to continue a reincarnated afterlife in a somewhat better life than what they have now..

Atheist people will not be "punished" for not being believers, - however they will have to face the fruits of whatever good and bad deeds they commit. Just like any other random Sikh, Christian, Muslim etc.

Edited by amardeep

Hello veer ji

I have seen in my own family where one who is spirtually minded , following the sikhi path , whilst the others not at all interested take a turn ..... how

It was from this one persons actions , actions such as reciting gurbani, following the teachings of the Gurus , doing seva, learning kirtan , getting up early and reciting Gurbani , helping others , being positive ... without him putting pressure on the other family members , with wahegurus kirpa they started to become intrigued in what he was doing , always happy , positive, polite, helpful ..... Slowly they started to sit with him , listen to him , learning .... and now today with wahegurus kirpa they are on the Sikhi Path. So veer ji , keep doing what you are doing the positive energy within you will attract your family , by your actions.

• 2 weeks later...

Atheist people will not be "punished" for not being believers, - however they will have to face the fruits of whatever good and bad deeds they commit. Just like any other random Sikh, Christian, Muslim etc.

​Bro, Gurbani does look down upon atheists. Gurbani compares an atheist to a snake, dog, prostitute's son, donkey, etc.

ਬਿਨੁ ਸਿਮਰਨ ਜੈਸੇ ਸਰਪ ਆਰਜਾਰੀ ॥

Without meditating in remembrance on the Lord, one's life is like that of a snake.

ਤਿਉ ਜੀਵਹਿ ਸਾਕਤ ਨਾਮੁ ਬਿਸਾਰੀ ॥੧

This is how the faithless cynic lives, forgetting the Naam, the Name of the Lord. ||1||

ਬਿਨੁ ਸਿਮਰਨ ਧ੍ਰਿਗੁ ਕਰਮ ਕਰਾਸ ॥

Without meditating in remembrance on the Lord, one's actions and works are cursed.

ਕਾਗ ਬਤਨ ਬਿਸਟਾ ਮਹਿ ਵਾਸ ॥੨

Like the crow's beak, he dwells in manure. ||2||

ਬਿਨੁ ਸਿਮਰਨ ਭਏ ਕੂਕਰ ਕਾਮ ॥

Without meditating in remembrance on the Lord, one acts like a dog.

ਸਾਕਤ ਬੇਸੁਆ ਪੂਤ ਨਿਨਾਮ ॥੩

The faithless cynic is nameless, like the prostitute's son. ||3||

ਬਿਨੁ ਸਿਮਰਨ ਜੈਸੇ ਸੀਙ ਛਤਾਰਾ ॥

Without meditating in remembrance on the Lord, one is like a horned ram.

ਬੋਲਹਿ ਕੂਰੁ ਸਾਕਤ ਮੁਖੁ ਕਾਰਾ ॥੪

The faithless cynic barks out his lies, and his face is blackened. ||4||

ਬਿਨੁ ਸਿਮਰਨ ਗਰਧਭ ਕੀ ਨਿਆਈ ॥

Without meditating in remembrance on the Lord, one is like a donkey.

ਸਾਕਤ ਥਾਨ ਭਰਿਸਟ ਫਿਰਾਹੀ ॥੫

The faithless cynic wanders around in polluted places. ||5||

ਬਿਨੁ ਸਿਮਰਨ ਕੂਕਰ ਹਰਕਾਇਆ ॥

Without meditating in remembrance on the Lord, one is like a mad dog.

ਸਾਕਤ ਲੋਭੀ ਬੰਧੁ ਨ ਪਾਇਆ ॥੬

The greedy, faithless cynic falls into entanglements. ||6||

ਜੋ ਨ ਭਜੰਤੇ ਨਾਰਾਇਣਾ ॥

Those who do not meditate and vibrate on the Lord

ਤਿਨ ਕਾ ਮੈ ਨ ਕਰਉ ਦਰਸਨਾ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥

- I do not even want to see them. ||1||Pause||

Having said the above, we must not have any hatred against atheists.

Bhul chuk maaf

I see it more as Gurbani looking upon them as wasting their life, wasting their oppurtunities etc. And not that they shall be condemned for eternal damnation.

​Bro, the above Gurbani tuks are pretty clear. Non-believers are in for some trouble, by Jamdoots. There might be an atheist out there, who might be a better human than a religious hypocrite, but that does not mean that he won't be punished by Lord.

Gurbani focuses a lot on naam. Acts like mercy, charity, etc which can be performed by atheists too, don't count much in the eyes of God, if done without belief.

tirath tap da-i-aa dat daan.

Pilgrimages, austere discipline, compassion and charity

jay ko paavai til kaa maan.

-these, by themselves, bring only an iota of merit.

Unquote [1]

[1] - https://manpreet159.wordpress.com/sikhism/japji-sahib-english-translation/

Belief in God is very very important, from a Sikh perspective.

Bhul chuk maaf

Edited by paapiman