Beautiful pictures of Kashmir

amardeep

Gurfateh

See these

A little known fact is that if not for the ambition of Maharajah Ranjit Singh (Lion of Punjab, who ruled from 1799 AD – 1839 AD), to expand his empire into Kashmir, today this region would be part of Afghanistan.

http://amardeepphotography.com/kashmir-the-afghanistan-frontier/

Edited by amardeep

• 4 months later...

Being that I just married a Singh who lives in Srinagar, and has been there his whole life, the petition was put in court there for me to have Permanent Resident Certificate for Kashmir.  It was approved :D. That means in future I can actually own land there! 

This piece of paper will be worth it's weight in gold! Apparently you can't just get PRC there. Anyone from anywhere else in India can not.  And even a woman who marries outside of the state loses it.  I may actually be the first foreigner to be granted this!!

(As most know the reason for the houseboats in Dal Lake etc are that only Kashmiris can own land there so to avoid needing to rent houses, the British brought houseboats and put on the lake, bypassing this rule.  However now it's changed so that can not be done anymore either. In fact the houseboat association is closely guarded to certain families too...

Anyway I am a Permanent Resident of Kashmir now! Or will be soon once the paperwork is done. 

Edited by Satkirin_Kaur

12 hours ago, Shri Vrindavan Dham said:
I have travelled in 30 cities and have rarely been so disappointed by a region, especially the lack of respect from the people. They are very aggressive and proud, and don't show much value to non-Kashmiri people. The scenery is beautiful, but the harassment does not make it worth going to Kashmir.

Can you please share an example(s) (if any) of harassment, which you faced in Kashmir?

Thanks

Bhul chuk maf

12 hours ago, Shri Vrindavan Dham said:
I have travelled in 30 cities and have rarely been so disappointed by a region, especially the lack of respect from the people. They are very aggressive and proud, and don't show much value to non-Kashmiri people. The scenery is beautiful, but the harassment does not make it worth going to Kashmir.

This is untrue!!! My second home is Srinagar! Every Muslim family I have met has given me Kashmiri Pink tea, biscuits, roasted corn, etc.  I felt completely safe walking around especially near Dal Lake... except for all the shikara boat walas all wanting me to go for shikara rides... they were competing with each other for lowest prices.  The shawl walas in the parks etc too are very agressive trying to sell their wares but aside from that... The Exhibition is really nice for shopping.  The public in general are really nice!!! We live right in Civil Secretariat area! 

Edited by Satkirin_Kaur

4 hours ago, Satkirin_Kaur said:

This is untrue!!! My second home is Srinagar! Every Muslim family I have met has given me Kashmiri Pink tea, biscuits, roasted corn, etc.  I felt completely safe walking around especially near Dal Lake... except for all the shikara boat walas all wanting me to go for shikara rides... they were competing with each other for lowest prices.  The shawl walas in the parks etc too are very agressive trying to sell their wares but aside from that... The Exhibition is really nice for shopping.  The public in general are really nice!!! We live right in Civil Secretariat area! 

Since you are a foreigner there is fascination and you have a husband who is local

• 1 month later...

I think the OP will find if he actually makes an effort to talk to the locals and be open and kind with them, he will find they are open and welcoming... I have been all over Kashmir, and this is the case.  Pahalgam, Gulmarg, Sonamarg, Tangmarg, Srinagar, Kargil, Ladakh region and Leh.  etc.  

The Sikhs in Kashmir are awesome wonderful people and removed from a lot of the nonsense experienced in Punjab (like Dhera mentality) and they don't practice any discrimination whatsoever (this includes gender - yes even seva of Panj pyaras for those wondering). You can try visiting any of the Gurdwaras there as they are most welcoming and will help with what sights to see etc. 

Kashmir is also experiencing surge in tourism especially in winter for skiing at Gulmarg.  I doubt they would risk losing business by being rude... The worst I experienced in Srinagar was people trying to sell me things or shikara rides... and being persistent about it! lol I have walked around by myself in Srinagar without my husband.  I never had any issue.