Canadian Elections are announced who you guys supporting?

Singh123456777

Not sure bro, but at this point i m torn between liberal and conservatives..i m more leaning towards liberals at the moment as they have agreed with govt to work on bill C-51. NDP got no back bone. But i do predict liberal and NDP will form coalition if they get enough votes to form majority as history tell us - three big national parties its just not feasible in parliament, one have to dissolve in another in order to get majority.

Why vote conservative? The conservative policies are becoming less canadian lol.. I'm a liberal all the way... Because of justin trudeau's father our community came to canada in the bunches.. He made all the people with visitor visa permanent residents... Also the liberals from jean chretien's time all the way to Paul Martin's time had the economy in such a good position but when the conservatives came into power they really brought it down...

Just vote liberal lol...

Yeah i am thinking liberal as well. It seems Canada been forever conservative..conservative gov't bought nothing but more debt. Even from economy standpoint which is crucial voting factor for all of us under liberal gov't-paul martin canada had 23 bllion dollar surplus every year but with this gov't its all debt to other countries.

Paul martin is my hero :D

Yeah i am thinking liberal as well. It seems Canada been forever conservative..conservative gov't bought nothing but more debt. Even from economy standpoint which is crucial voting factor for all of us under liberal gov't-paul martin canada had 23 bllion dollar surplus every year but with this gov't its all debt to other countries.

Paul martin is my hero :D

Also the Supreme Court of canada has disagreed with the Harper government so many times its not even funny lol... Those are the same justices who were appointed by Harper who go against him lol.. That show much lol

Pierre Trudeau is my hero.. That man had balls when he was battling the separatists lol..

You are well read in poltics bro..thats good. its because of well read well balanced sikh youths like you..we as community have some hope to grow and raise the bar, otherwise you ask apne regarding elections- they don't broaden their scope on key issues such as economy, health care, social services...All they care about which govt can help with immigration of their relatives, bunch of speeches on 1984 riots -which is valid hold importance in its own right and in its own place but not important than key live issues here and now-economy, balance immigration, health care, social services.

You are well read in poltics bro..thats good. its because of well read well balanced sikh youths like you..we as community have some hope to grow and raise the bar, otherwise you ask apne regarding elections- they don't broaden their scope on key issues such as economy, health care, social services...All they care about which govt can help with immigration of their relatives, bunch of speeches on 1984 riots -which is valid hold importance in its own right and in its own place but not important than key live issues here and now-economy, balance immigration, health care, social services.

At every nagar kirtan when a political figure comes they always start talking about 1984 and I'm just like SHUT UP!!! I remember when Jason Kenney came to one of the nagar kirtans and then people started talking about 1984 and he just got up and left.. I was actually happy when he left... It should wake up our community to start talking about other issues that actually affect us today in canada but our dumb community just keeps talking about 1984 over and over again... I do believe that 1984 was terrible but if we always dwell in the past then we can't move forward in sikhi or life...

Hypothetically the people talking about Khalistan do get Khalistan do you think they would go back and move to Khalistan or stay in their cozy home in the west? Maybe 1 percent would go back but that I even doubt. Nobody want to leave these luxurious houses and cars and go back and live in a house where you gotta take a shit in a hole instead of a toilet lol.

• 3 months later...

I really think it will end up in ndp and liberal coalition. Mulcair is willing to join hands with liberal and make liberal party as head as ndp offered in the past to stephen dion pm position to overthrow harper but they rejected the support but this time around Justin be forced to take help from ndp..justin down plays it and rejected coalition now but he is playing game and try to gauge his support and votes..deep down side he knows he will need support from ndp to beat conservatives one way or another otherwise it be another crappy selection with conservatives winning even with less majority

I really think it will end up in ndp and liberal coalition. Mulcair is willing to join hands with liberal and make liberal party as head as ndp offered in the past to stephen dion pm position to overthrow harper but they rejected the support but this time around Justin be forced to take help from ndp..justin down plays it and rejected coalition now but he is playing game and try to gauge his support and votes..deep down side he knows he will need support from ndp to beat conservatives one way or another otherwise it be another crappy selection with conservatives winning even with less majority

I can't tell you how happy I would be if they do a coalition.

At every nagar kirtan when a political figure comes they always start talking about 1984 and I'm just like SHUT UP!!!

Maybe 1 percent would go back but that I even doubt. Nobody want to leave these luxurious houses and cars and go back and live in a house where you gotta take a shit in a hole instead of a toilet lol.

You ask those people who have lost their loved ones ?

You ask those people who have no voice back in Punjab?

You ask those people who are falsely arrested and framed ?

Theres no voice in Punjab , if we on the "outside" dont speak up and make our voices heard and seek Justice for our brothers and sisters who are being opressed even today , what hope will they have.

Look at the recent events , Bapu Surat Singh hunger strike, Sikh Referendum 2020 , the antics the Indian government are playing , WE NEED TO SPEAK UP AND MAKE ALL AWARE so that our brothers and sisters can live in luxury houses , can have a proper toilet to shit in, have proper jobs,have a good economy rather than selfishly looking upon making our backyard even greener. Yes it will be hard , yes we will have to change the mindset of our brothers and sisters. Why did our parents move abroad ? for a better life not just for them but for their children aswell. So its not something we need to SHUT UP about , in fact we need to SHOUT at every opportunity until we get justice , politically,socially and economically back in Punjab.

Guest Martin Singh NDP

‘White’ Sikh Runs for House of Commons Seat in Canada

55cd1347e13de.image.jpg?resize=300%2C2251 image

Martin Singh is running in the Oct. 19 parliamentary elections for a House of Commons seat in Canada. If elected, Singh will be the first white Sikh MP. (IANS photo)

GURMUKH SINGH, IANS | Posted 11 hours ago

TORONTO — Canada, which created history by electing the western world’s first turbaned Sikh, Gurbax Singh Malhi, as a member of parliament in 1993, may create another record by electing the first white Sikh MP in the October 19 parliamentary elections.

Martin Singh, 42, who converted to Sikhism in 1991 and got baptized in 1993, is in the poll fray from Toronto’s neighboring city of Brampton, which has the second largest concentration of Indians, mostly Punjabis, in Canada.

This fast talking ‘gora’ or ‘white’ Sikh is the candidate from Brampton North for the opposition New Democratic Party, which is leading in opinion polls.

Married to a Sikh girl from Amritsar, Singh is pitted against two Sikhs: the sitting MP Parm Gill of the ruling Conservative Party, and Ruby Sahota of the Liberal Party.

“We are here to win. I am confident that I will be elected. People are responding very well,” says the father of three, as he canvasses from door to door in Canada’s most ethnic city.

“There are 21,000 Punjabis in my riding (constituency), and I am connecting with each and every one. They have confidence in me. They know what I can do for them,” says Singh, who runs a pharmacy business that employs about 500 people.

Recent changes in immigration have impacted families, Singh says, adding that addressing this issue will be his top priority. “The Canadian immigration and visa system is broken. We want to fix it, as immigrant families want all their members to be united. I am a businessman, and I want to create jobs which have vanished.”

Because of his turban, this white Sikh made headlines in Canada when he ran for the leadership of the New Democratic Party in 2012.

Ask him why he converted to Sikhism, and he says: “Sikhism attracted me, because Guru Nanak emphasized the three pillars of ‘Naam japo, kirat karo, vand chhako’ (meditating, earning an honest living through hard work, sharing) and his vision to pass guruship to the most deserving, not his kin. So I embraced Sikhism in 1991. In 1993, I got baptized.”

He says his family was very supportive of his conversion to Sikhism. “My mother says that her son has done many interesting things in life, but this one (conversion) has lasted the longest.”

Singh says he got baptized in 1993, and thanks to a Sikh family in Calgary, he was introduced to a Sikh girl in Amritsar who became his wife.

“I first went to India in 1997 and met with the woman librarian of the Religious Studies Department at Guru Nanak Dev University. The librarian was related to the Sikh family in Calgary. She introduced me to her niece Amandeep Kaur who had just finished her Masters in Punjabi literature from Punjabi University Patiala. I liked her, and we got married in Amritsar. I came back, and she joined me here in 1998, as her visa took some time.’’

Though he cannot speak much Punjabi, Singh has acquired enough knowledge to read Sikh scriptures in the Gurmukhi script. It is quite amusing to hear him use the word `paaji’ (which means elder brother in Punjabi) in his conversation more frequently than an average Punjabi.

Out of the eight Indo-Canadian MPs in the outgoing House of Commons of 308 members, six were Sikhs. In the upcoming elections, it is Sikh versus Sikh in over a dozen constituencies.

• 1 month later...

After careful consideration i have decided to vote liberal this year..sorry ndp you are too lefty for me who don't have grip of reality and conservatives you are too fear mongering/war mongering right wing for me 

Yay! Mulcair looks little bit creepy lol. Who is the liberal running in your area?