Women and Turban = No.

Kaalka

18 minutes ago, Gunahgar said:

Possible. So is the Singh holding his hand out to get the mehndi done from his wife ?

Romantic eh.  lol

12 minutes ago, Gunahgar said:

So I was right it is Surma/Kajal.

So basically, the wife is adoring her husband, having his darshana, seeing the rab roop in Him.  And in order to highlight those eyes, she is putting kajal in her eyes.

Good cultural song though.

Ooooo

So that's what it is...

I never looked at it that closely but that painting makes more sense now.

2 minutes ago, BhagatSingh said:

Nah Singhs wore jewelry (also ear-rings), and applied surma to their eyes.
Not sure if putting on mehndi on wedding day is a puratan tradition.

They did!

All the males in my family have wore mehndi on their wedding with their Singhni.

1 minute ago, Kaalka said:

Not insinuating, but being blatantly clear. AKAAAL

Well, you will be going against several sampardas rehet maryadas, and also Sikh Rehet Maryada states it's optional so nowhere has it been discouraged for women. In fact it's been the opposite. It's in both Taksal's maryada and Nihang maryada that its required for both male and female. And also AKJ! 

Guru Gobind Singh Ji's 52 Hukams:
35 Dastaar binaa nahee rehnaa|
(doesn't say only men, so women too are required)

"Each candidate for Baptism be made to wear kachhehra, tie hair in a topknot and cover the same with dastaar; wear Sri Sahib (i.e. Kirpan) in Gaatra (shoulder belt). Then he/she should stand with folded hands. (Rahitnama Bhai Daya Singh Ji)

Taksal Maryada:
For the respect of your hair, two turbans are to be tied, tying each layer one at a time.  There should be a small turban tied underneath and a larger one tied above this.  Women must not plait their hair and should keep their hair tied in a bun/top-knot, in order to respect your Kesh a small turban should be tied. 

The Nihang Bibian are dastaardhari, and many contend maintain the original form and discipline of the Khalsa.  Their Nitnem Gutka defines that every Gursikh man and woman (Singh and Singhni is the wording used) should have a blue keski in their hair.

It's fine if you personally won't marry a Singhni who ties one. You can go for a dolled up girl with makeup caked on and jewllery all over, and hairstyles (and most likely hair colour too).  But don't try to dictate what other Singhnis do or the Singhs who actually LOOK for Singhnis who tie dastars! 

10 minutes ago, Kaalka said:

That explains the large number of children too then

A kala friend of mine once exolained me why they have so many kids, he said that they breed a lot since they don't know which kid will die when and they need someone for their bupada.

Absolutely pathetic to generalise all normal women to be "bimbos" and "dolled up" because they don't tie a male signifier: turban. 

Maybe that says something about your character while you didnt tie a turban.

Theres endless women who we respectable who look like women and not men.

53 minutes ago, Kaalka said:

Women should stay women and not tie paggs.

Never did it historically or traditionally,  only today thanks to the kusre mindset wale.

I think you are being a bit harsh bro.  Let them decide what they want to wear as long as it is modest. 

However, the other party ( satkirin) should also not enforce the idea that turban is a must . Some times chunni wearing bibi can be spiritually higher than a turban wearing. :)

9 minutes ago, Gunahgar said:

I think you are being a bit harsh bro.  Let them decide what they want to wear as long as it is modest. 

However, the other party ( satkirin) should also not enforce the idea that turban is a must . Some times chunni wearing bibi can be spiritually higher than a turban wearing. :)

I never said it was a must. I said SRM states it's optional. However in some rehet maryadas it IS a must. So those taking amrit by those groups have to tie one. AKJ for sure!!! Taksal's maryada says it's a must, as does nihang maryada (and theirs says specifically blue keski). Also Rhetnama of Bhai Daya Singh Ji also says both men and women are to tie one and Guru Gobind Singh Ji's 52 Hukams says everyone must tie one. Take it how you will...

If you take Amrit under Akal Takht's SRM then it's optional.  The very fact that it's in there as being optional means there are Singhnis tying them and that it's not discouraged.  

Kaalka is just voicing his own opinion and he is focusing only on looks, not spirituality. 

Sikh women just started wearing turbans since AKJ and this neo Sikh mentality sunk in. Look at bhagat Singh's mom and ask other real sardar families none of their women wore pags. There are instances where people like Mai Bhago did though but that has occurred w rajput women as well and only at the time of war or a last stand. Women have never worn pags 24/7 as these neo Sikh women do. Sikh women wore bindiyan and mehndi and surma too. Men wore earrings and jewellery as well. This new Sikh rehat maryada you keep trumpeting is a new construct. You need to wake up. 

This is a non issue... .Just like everything else we argue about in terms of men vs women here lol. 

Sant Ji said that we can work through these in house issues AFTERWARDS we have our own home....

I'm not telling you all to jump up and discuss only Khalsa Raaj.... 

But come on "guys" (Am I going to get in trouble for not acknowledging women? Lol?)

There are so many other great threads to explore here like in the Bhakti section.... 

7 minutes ago, Guest said:

Sikh women just started wearing turbans since AKJ and this neo Sikh mentality sunk in. Look at bhagat Singh's mom and ask other real sardar families none of their women wore pags. There are instances where people like Mai Bhago did though but that has occurred w rajput women as well and only at the time of war or a last stand. Women have never worn pags 24/7 as these neo Sikh women do. Sikh women wore bindiyan and mehndi and surma too. Men wore earrings and jewellery as well. This new Sikh rehat maryada you keep trumpeting is a new construct. You need to wake up. 

Did you even read my post??? 

TAKSAL Maryada and NIHANG Maryada BOTH state that males AND females have to tie turbans. I said that Sikh Rehet Maryada says its optional. The sampardas that all of you keep touting as being around since Guru Jis time... THEY require women to tie turbans!!!! And yes AKJ does too! But even AKJ has been around for long enough now to be a big part of Sikh history... 

3 hours ago, Guest said:

Spot on

6 hours ago, Gunahgar said:

I think this is being completely overlooked by the majority