Maharajah Ranjit Singh Death Anniversary

kdsingh80

THE DAY MAHARAJAH WAS CREMATED 28TH JUNE 1839

ਫਰੀਦਾ ਬਾਰਿ ਪਰਾਇਐ ਬੈਸਣਾ ਸਾਂਈ ਮੁਝੈ ਨ ਦੇਹਿ ॥ ਜੇ ਤੂ ਏਵੈ ਰਖਸੀ ਜੀਉ ਸਰੀਰਹੁ ਲੇਹਿ ॥੪੨॥ {ਪੰਨਾ 1380}

fareedaa baar paraa-i-ai baisnaa saaN-ee mujhai na deh.
jay too ayvai rakhsee jee-o sareerahu layhi. ||42||

Fareed begs, O Lord, do not make me sit at another's door.
If this is the way you are going to keep me, then go ahead and take the life out of my body. ||42|

As the sun rose the next day ceremonies started with bathing of the maharajah with holy waters of Harmandir Sahab . His clothes as he would put daily when alive along with ornaments , his turban and small weapons that he carried on person when alive were put on his person .Sandalwood paste was put on the external parts of the body like face ,neck ,hands and feet .

All the immediate family members gathered around his body and the Wazir Dhyan Singh was asked to touch his feet one last time and take oath to always stand by Kharak Singh and Nau Nihal Singh .The willy dogra obliged even while contemplating schemes to divest the Sikhs of their wealth and kingdom in the coming days .

The Sikh sirdars carried now the bier of Sher-i-Punjab barefooted amidst wails from the women of the house .The Sikh kesri flag was already at half mast city in mourning and bands playing melancholy tunes and as they came out of the fort guns were fired .
The body now motionless carried by the sirdars passed Hazuri sahab where till a couple of days the Maharajah had spent many an evening in celebrations and dance amidst music .The birds it seemed had stopped chirping and flown away scared of the multitude of people thronging the pathway .Dust raised from thousands of feet was covering the faces of the mourners reminding them all and sundry are raised from dust and become dust Maharajahs included .

Bodyguards who till yesterday guarded the maharajah when alive , even now guarded his body and were leading the mourners followed by Payada Pultan.Then followed the bier with all grandsons and sons of the Maharajh around doing Chaun Sahab to keep the flies away .Behind followed the Wazir with his wives and female attendants also having Chaun Saheb in his hand as he had when the Maharajah raised him from a foot soldier to the present post .His sons and brothers in tow .
The funeral pyre with sandalwood placed atop a six feet raised structure was the destination where these people of the royal family ,ministers , influential sirdars and people from the British to other Europeans watched in amazement a death ceremony that was as great as a living celebration.Lakhs of rupees worth of gold coins called ashrafis were being given away as were the royal jewels of the seven maharanis who were walking besides and in calmness ready to go with their lord along with seven female attendants .
As the cortege reached neared the place that had been prepared the body of the maharajah was picked by sardars who climbed the stairs kept there to reach the pyre where the body was placed .Flowers adorning the bier in silver and gold and gems were taken by the people around as was the custom .The body was now sprinkled with incense and lit the fire to the body of Maharajah .The flames reached the sky as they say and out of no where two pigeons fell in where the Maharajah , his four wives and seven female attendants were already in flames .It is said few drops of rain fell as if heavens were weeping on the demise of the man who raised Punjab to the stature of a nation and whose demise they could foresee .
The man whose mere presence and name was enough to shudder was reducing to cinders while the world around watched in dismay brooding over Khalsa Durbar’s future with anxiety writ on their faces .
At the cremation was also John Martin Honigberger the German personal physician who has published a detailed account of Suttee and cremation day in his book “Thirty Five Years in the East , Adventures , Discoveries , Experiments “ published in 1905 .Following is the extract from this book ..
“The first sad and cruel scene that I witnessed after the death of Runjit Sing , was the Suttee , of burning of his eleven wives ,along with the body of the deceased .There were four ranis ( legal wives ) , and seven female slaves , who , animated with the superstitious hope of entering paradise with their lord and husband , were ascending the funeral pile with death -despising intrepidity ; they cowed around the corpse , and were covered with reed mats , on which oil was poured in profusion . This done , fire was set to the funeral pile , so that the poor creatures became suffocated by the smoke and flames before they could utter a cry .”
“Early in the morning subsequent to that on which death of the maharajah happened , I went down the Tukht ( Coronation Square ) , accompanied by Col . Henry Steinbach ( lately in the service of the maharajah Gholab Singh , in Cashmere , now in Europe ), and we directed our steps towards the large yard , which we had to cross , in order to get betimes to a convenient place close to the funeral pile .This was erected between the walls and the fortress , in a small garden , the conflux of the people having being so enormous in the fortress .In the large yard , we observed one of the four ranis (queens) coming out of the harem on foot and unveiled , for the first time in her life .She was slowly proceeding towards the place where the royal body was lying , and she was surrounded by about one hundred persons, who kept themselves at some distance ,while accompanying her .Close to her side their was a man carrying a small box ,m containing the remainder of her jewels ( as she had already distributed some ) , which she made presents of , handing them one by one to the people on her right and left .Two or three steps in front of her , where there was a man moving in a backward direction ,his face turned towards her , and holding a looking -glass that she might convince herself that her features were unaltered , and no fear visible on them .At the distribution of the jewels , Col.Steinbach made the observation that , had we stretched out a hand to receive a present , it certainly would not have been denied ; but we thought proper to leave it to the poorer people , because we occupied lucrative posts .It is curios , indeed , that this was the very rani whom Runjit Sing married in the first year of my residence in that country , ten years having passed since I witnessed the nuptials at Nadun .She was , as I mentioned before , a daughter of Sunsar Chand , and she had a younger sister , whom the maharajah at the same time took also for a wife , and conveyed them both to Lahore ; the later , I am told , had died of consumption during my absence .As for the former , although I was present at her wedding , I nevertheless had never seen her before , and it was only on her last fatal walk , which she took to the funeral pile , that I could behold her .The funeral train , accompanied by many thousand of spectators , was now proceeding ; all were on foot , their abode in the fortress not being far distant from the place of the ceremony .The four ranis only were carried , in open planquins , behind the deceased , after them followed the seven female slaves , barefooted ; some of them appeared to be not more than fourteen or fifteen years of age .The ranis , too , were barefooted , their silk dresses were simple , and without any ornaments , and they appeared to be indifferent to the awful though voluntary fate which awaited them .Perhaps our hearts throbbed more at the view of this dismal train than those of the poor victims themselves .The body of Runjit Sing was placed on a board , to which it was probably fastened , and was carried on a light and decorated by bier constructed in the shape of a ship; the sails and the flags of the vessel were made of rich golden and silk stuff (kimkab) and of cashmere shawls .A number of people carried the bier from the interior of the fortress upto the funeral -pile , there the board with the body was taken out of it and deposited on the ground , where , on what was a small garden , now stands a summoodh , i.e. a tomb of the royal family Runjit Sing , Kurruck Sing and No-Nehal Sing i.e. the father , son , and grand child , together with their wives and slaves .The costly ornaments of the richly decorated bier were given to the mob ; the Brahmins performed their prayers from the Shasters , a book written in the indian or Sanscrit language ; the Gooroos , or priests of the Sikhs , did the same , from their holy scripture called Grunth Saheb , * and the Musselem accompanied them with their “Ya Allah ! Ya Allah !” . A slow , but not displeasing rumbling of the drums and the murmuring of the people , gave to the whole scene a melancholy aspect , and was peculiar to the country .The funeral pile which displayed itself before the eyes of the spectator , was constructed of dry woods , amongst which there were pieces of aloe ; it was about six feet high and square .After the prayers of the Brahmins and Gooroos , which lasted nearly an hour , the minister and the sirdars ascended by a ladder the funeral-pile upon which ignitable matters and substances , as cotton seeds , and &c were strewn , and the royal body was respectfully placed in the middle of the pile , together with the board . After this , the ranis ascended the fatal ladder , one by one , according to their rank , the slaves followed ,and the minister showed himself very officious in affording them assistance . The ranis placed themselves at the head of the royal body , and the slaves closed at its feet .Their they cowered , remaining in silent expectation for the fatal moment , when a strong thick mat of reeds being brought , with which the whole were covered , oil was then poured over the mat , the minister and sirdars descended , and the pile was lighted at each corner .In a few moments , the deplorable victims of an abominable and fanatic ceremony had ceased to exist .
The consuming of this pile occupied two days ; on third , some of the bones and ashes of each of the bodies were collected in the presence of the court only , and separately placed in urns .After which ceremony , a preparation was made for a journey , with exactly the same pomp and splendour as if the maharajah and his wives were still alive. Thus their remains were conveyed in five richly caparisoned palanquins by numerous attendants and guards , accompanied by handsome presents , such as shawls , costly decorated elephants , horses , &c. , &c, to the banks of the Ganges , where the Brahmins received the whole .The bones and ashes they put into the river , and other valuables were distributed among themselves ; nothing returning but the men .The tents under which the ashes of Runjit Sing and each of the ranis were placed , were composed of the most valuable Cashmere shawl materials , The props of which were of gold and silver .Some millions of rupees were expended in this outfit .Upon the procession leaving the fortress it traversed the streets and bazaars , the ministers and some of the principal sirdars on foot , with numerous others mounted on their elephants and horses .Thousands of persons were assembled in the streets , bazaars , and on top of houses , by whom flowers were thrown upon the palanquins . The curtains of the palanquin which contained the remains of Runjit Sing were open , while those of his wives were closed , in the same manner as when traveling during their lifetime .The minister walked closed ot the palanquin of royal master , being occupied in keeping the flies from its contents , thus showing his respect to the last .On the arrival of the procession outside of the Delhi gate , a final and profuse royal salute was given by the thundering of canon from the fort and ramparts of the city , upon which the ministers and sirdars returned , leaving the remains and presents to be conducted by the guard. The mourning lasted thirteen days , the colour of the costume being white .

ਬੁਢਾ ਹੋਆ ਸੇਖ ਫਰੀਦੁ ਕੰਬਣਿ ਲਗੀ ਦੇਹ ॥ ਜੇ ਸਉ ਵਰ੍ਹ੍ਹਿਆ ਜੀਵਣਾ ਭੀ ਤਨੁ ਹੋਸੀ ਖੇਹ ॥੪੧॥ {ਪੰਨਾ 1380}

budhaa ho-aa saykh fareed kamban lagee dayh
jay sa-o vareh-aa jeevnaa bhee tan hosee khayh. ||41||

Shaykh Fareed has grown old, and his body has begun to tremble.
Even if he could live for hundreds of years, his body will eventually turn to dust. ||41||

Concluded.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sikhmilitaryhistoryforum/?multi_permalinks=1351689818178711&notif_t=group_highlights&notif_id=1467111700464689

This was horrible , sex slaves of 14-15 were burnt alive with Maharaja Ranjit , and then sikhs keep on boasting that how women were equal in sikh history

1 hour ago, kdsingh80 said:

This was horrible , sex slaves of 14-15 were burnt alive with Maharaja Ranjit , and then sikhs keep on boasting that how women were equal in sikh history

Were they forced to become Satis or they chose to become Satis?

Maharaja Ranjit Singh jee did not keep sex slaves. Those women were probably his concubines, but to use the word "slave" would be inappropriate for this great King.

Bhul chuk maaf

2 minutes ago, paapiman said:

Were they forced to become Satis or they chose to become Satis?

Maharaja Ranjit Singh jee did not keep sex slaves. Those women were probably his concubines, but to use the word "slave" would be inappropriate for this great King.

Bhul chuk maaf

No matter who were they , It was wrong for 14-15 year old girls to do Sati with Ranjit Singh as that was sikh kingdom and sikh priests should had opposed that but they choose to remain silent.What is wrong is wrong

32 minutes ago, kdsingh80 said:

No matter who were they , It was wrong for 14-15 year old girls to do Sati with Ranjit Singh as that was sikh kingdom and sikh priests should had opposed that but they choose to remain silent.What is wrong is wrong

The article does not mention the age with conviction. Is there any other historical source to confirm the age of the concubines?

Bhul chuk maaf

3 hours ago, paapiman said:

The article does not mention the age with conviction. Is there any other historical source to confirm the age of the concubines?

Bhul chuk maaf

The article  is from German physician. and he was assuming that some of them were not older than 14-15. But still the question how this practice entered sikhism and why Sikh priests of highest order did not oppose it.

Guest AllOfThem

Can anyone please recomend me any books about Maharaja Ranjit Singh and the period of Sikh history? Would be very much be appreciated.

I really want to find out how the Sikh empire fell after his death. Anyone know? I've heard things about dogras? Who were exactly were they? Ive heard that they betrayed the Sikhs somehow. Would be good if someone could shed some light on this.

Thanks

16 hours ago, Guest AllOfThem said:

Can anyone please recomend me any books about Maharaja Ranjit Singh and the period of Sikh history? Would be very much be appreciated.

I really want to find out how the Sikh empire fell after his death. Anyone know? I've heard things about dogras? Who were exactly were they? Ive heard that they betrayed the Sikhs somehow. Would be good if someone could shed some light on this.

Thanks

@Amarpal Sidhu - Bro, can you please help the guest above?

Guest jee - Amarpal Singh Sidhu jee is a historian and an author.

Bhul chuk maaf

On 1/7/2016 at 11:19 PM, Guest AllOfThem said:

Thanks

Look into Khushwant Singh's book on Maharaja Ranjit Singh or Patwant Singh's book on the same topic. They're quite good and detailed.